ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up - sparks anger from shoppers

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Postbox- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SHOPPERS have hit out after collections have been cancelled from a supermarket postbox.

Customers of Sainsbury's, in Stoke, say they relied on the postbox as it was in a convenient and safe location.

Now they must use the nearest boxes in Church Street and further down busy London Road, near Chamberlain Avenue.

It comes two years after Royal Mail shut a postbox in London Road, near Bath Avenue, in 2012 for 'health and safety reasons'.

The facility within Sainsbury's was owned by a third-party, which is no longer paying for Royal Mail collections.

Blue badge holder Barry Seckerson said the box was regularly used by disabled people and the elderly.

The 75-year-old of Oakhill said: "I'm really annoyed about this because the postbox was in an ideal location.

"I am disabled, I have arthritis and a heart condition and I rely on the mobility scooters in the supermarket to get around.

"There's no postbox in Oakhill so I'm left with the option of driving in my car to Church Street, finding somewhere to park, and leaving my car on a dangerous road where buses regularly go past."

He added: "Before long there won't be any postboxes left in Stoke-on-Trent. There are still people that rely on the post to pay bills and send letters.

"I think whoever made this decision should have thought about the impact on the elderly and disabled."

Clifford Poulton, of Victoria Road, Fenton, was disappointed to find out the Sainsbury's postbox is out of action.

The 76-year-old said: "I'm outraged, I used the postbox regularly and I relied on it several times a week.

"I am disabled and not very mobile. There are postboxes in Fenton but I can't even use those because it requires me crossing a very dangerous road – it's not possible for me.

"The box was often full to the top so I can't imagine it's been removed because of lack of use."

A spokesman for Sainsbury's said: "Unfortunately the company who owned the postbox and managed this service has gone into administration."

Royal Mail today confirmed the box has been sealed and no further collections will be taking place.

Royal Mail spokesman Val Bodden said: "Royal Mail has ceased collections from the private posting box within the Sainsbury's supermarket in London Road, Stoke. This box was privately owned by a third party who was paying for a collection.

"This arrangement has now ended and collections have ceased.

"Private posting boxes do not form part of Royal Mail's network of 115,000 postboxes that we collect from daily and maintain."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up

Post by lollollol »

Is it right the business are withdrawing all the boxes from Sainsburys sites? Anyone heard owt? :hmmmm
SHug5
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 22:28
Gender: Male

Re: Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up

Post by SHug5 »

Yep, the company that operated the private Post Boxes went bust and Sainsburys were asked to pay for them but refused and all have to be sealed up and withdrawn from service throughout the country.

Pain in the butt to get in to clear them anyway
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Very few post offices, less and less safe indoor postboxes, you have to put your precious mail into a rusty metal box on the street along with alsorts of whatever else people put in them , no wonder stamped mail is down :roll: was a good idea in 1850.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up

Post by lollollol »

Apparently a third of post boxes nationally are to be taken off afternoon collections in due course... :thumbdown
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Sainsbury's postbox in Stoke sealed up

Post by k979aaa »

Passed it's sell by date?