ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by Lincox »

I do not understand why someone having a shorter loop is a problem. I am non driver (failed changeover :Very Happy ) and all my driving partners.we work on the basis that whoever gets back first , will help the other complete their loop. Works a treat as it is impossible for loops to be the same everyday.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by DB1100 »

Lincox wrote:I do not understand why someone having a shorter loop is a problem. I am non driver (failed changeover :Very Happy ) and all my driving partners.we work on the basis that whoever gets back first , will help the other complete their loop. Works a treat as it is impossible for loops to be the same everyday.
Wait till you get put with a lazy sod who just finishes his loop and sit's in the van waiting for the walker,then does his parcels on the way to the next loop expecting you to be his runner.You have got to trust each other and work as a team.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by Tuffers1875 »

Neither
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by krussel »

I choose a trolley. Yeah a pain to push but at least iam not risking my driving lic or my insurance premium.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by Barbel »

I don't mind both.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by Barbel »

I don't mind both.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by dave72 »

I'm the driver on our p&l but we've had no help planning the loops so we both do about the same amount of walking and we both drive around with the parcels at the end of the walk so I dunno

I miss being out on my own in my own little dream world for 4 hours though :sad:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

dave72 wrote:

I miss being out on my own in my own little dream world for 4 hours though :sad:
I can appreciate that point Dave. :cool Do you think that over the decades RM has attracted, and Fostered, a never ending stream of Solitary beings that enjoy their own company and begrudge having to communicate with anyone. Be it Colleagues, Van Share Partners, Managers or even the Public? :wink:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by dave72 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
dave72 wrote:

I miss being out on my own in my own little dream world for 4 hours though :sad:
I can appreciate that point Dave. :cool Do you think that over the decades RM has attracted, and Fostered, a never ending stream of Solitary beings that enjoy their own company and begrudge having to communicate with anyone. Be it Colleagues, Van Share Partners, Managers or even the Public? :wink:
Haha, yes! The 2 or 3 hours in the office had my blood boiling somedays listening to inane chat, but once I was out I was a free-spirit

I know it was against the rules, but once I put my headphones in (to avoid talking to people incase they tried to interact with me) and the 1st letter went through I was lost for 4 hours. I sometimes finished my round thinking, I can't remember doing so and so street or how I even got to the end of the round. RIP these times :Boo hoo!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I had thattoday , for the life of me can't remember delivering anything on that particular street yet finished at the normal time. :crazy:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by krussel »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I had thattoday , for the life of me can't remember delivering anything on that particular street yet finished at the normal time. :crazy:
It sure is a crazy world out there sometimes walking your life away :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by 2pints »

It is a state of meditation in a way.Total zen :whistle
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I know RM don't like you using headphones...but I've yet to hear a "Sensible" argument against them. Of course they like to fly the H & S flag but I believe we're all adults and should be able to handle walking and listening at the same time! :thumbup

I like to listen to Audio books as I'm Plodding about and that can be very relaxing. Get some strange looks if there's a funny bit and the customers catch me laughiing away to myself. Probably call me "That looney postie that's always giggling to himself"! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
edo4442
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 12:59

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by edo4442 »

I prefer walking.

I am driver on park, and loop, and the responsibility is too much.

I'm responsible for the duty, daily, and weekly van checks, I'm responsible for fuelling the van, washing/cleaning inside the van, delivering oversized packets, all special deliveries, any damage to the van, obeying parking restrictions, speed limits, and going back to the DO myself to empty the van because my partner cant be bothered to go back.

And, the driver loops are meant to be shorter to allow oversized packets to be delivered for the loops, which is not the case in our office, and let me not forget to mention that I get to deliver all the parcels the walker cant be bothered with, as they refuse to use a lightweight trolley.

So, I hate driving, and we do deserve a higher hourly rate.

And the management have been told about the non use of trolley, and refusal to come back to unload the van, which you are supposed to, and they do nothing about it.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Driver or walker . What do you prefer?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Difficult one Edo, what to do? :hmmmm Sounds like your van partner is a bit of an asshole. How about delivering your oversize packets (and the ones he can't be bothered with) during "His" loop time. Get back later and make him wait for you.

I've had some good partners, who take larger parcels by bungeeing them on the LWT...that really helps. I know some assholes that put an elastic band around half a dozen DVDs and try and give them to you. :arrrghhh How about testing the parcels he throws out with the supplied template? If they go through he takes them! :thumbup

How come he doesn't return to the office with you? Most offices I know insist you return to sign out. I take it you have to hand in all his docketed items and return his bags to the frame etc? There's got to be a bit of cooperation. Have you discussed it with your Rep? The Manager obviously doesn't give a s**t....what if you started booking Overtime......I expect he'd pull his head out of his ass then! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)