ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/lo ... _s_letter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A DISGRUNTLED Marlow resident has criticised the ‘unfeeling’ Royal Mail workers who refused to deliver a letter from her 10-year-old niece.
Gail Borrows, of Marlow Bottom Road, was shocked when a note dropped through her door asking for an extra 20p towards postage for an envelope addressed simply to ‘Aunty Gail’.
The peeved resident said she understands Royal Mail has to cover its costs, but believes they showed a lack of compassion and discretion in refusing to deliver a letter she says is clearly from a child, in this case her great-niece Rachel Lee.
She said: "We have all had problems with Royal Mail before I am sure and I understand that if someone sends something without the correct postage then it needs to be paid for.
"The amount it is underpaid is 20p, and now I have got to go into Marlow, find somewhere to park and pay another pound handling fee.
"I suspect this is from my 10-year-old niece who lives in North Manchester. We keep in touch by phone and I only see her about twice a year bless her and I get quite excited when I get a lwetter from her.
"This is from a child, it is addressed to ‘Aunty Gail’ for goodness sake - don’t they have a human touch left at Royal Mail that they can’t tell the difference? It disgusts me.
"It is unthinking and utterly unfeeling. I accept I have to pay but it’s a letter from a child, it’s so obvious."
Mrs Borrows added she believes the problem lies at the sorting office rather than deliverers, and that she has never had any trouble with postmen or women on her round.
Royal Mail says it is required to treat all customers equally and cannot make exceptions in individual cases.
Royal Mail spokesman Sally Hopkins said: "Surcharging customers is the last thing Royal Mail wants to do and we would urge people sending mail to ensure they use the correct postage.
"We also suggest customers include the sender’s details on the back, so we can return the item to the sender if the addressee has gone away.
"The surcharge that is levied helps to cover the extra cost of handling items that have been underpaid."
A DISGRUNTLED Marlow resident has criticised the ‘unfeeling’ Royal Mail workers who refused to deliver a letter from her 10-year-old niece.
Gail Borrows, of Marlow Bottom Road, was shocked when a note dropped through her door asking for an extra 20p towards postage for an envelope addressed simply to ‘Aunty Gail’.
The peeved resident said she understands Royal Mail has to cover its costs, but believes they showed a lack of compassion and discretion in refusing to deliver a letter she says is clearly from a child, in this case her great-niece Rachel Lee.
She said: "We have all had problems with Royal Mail before I am sure and I understand that if someone sends something without the correct postage then it needs to be paid for.
"The amount it is underpaid is 20p, and now I have got to go into Marlow, find somewhere to park and pay another pound handling fee.
"I suspect this is from my 10-year-old niece who lives in North Manchester. We keep in touch by phone and I only see her about twice a year bless her and I get quite excited when I get a lwetter from her.
"This is from a child, it is addressed to ‘Aunty Gail’ for goodness sake - don’t they have a human touch left at Royal Mail that they can’t tell the difference? It disgusts me.
"It is unthinking and utterly unfeeling. I accept I have to pay but it’s a letter from a child, it’s so obvious."
Mrs Borrows added she believes the problem lies at the sorting office rather than deliverers, and that she has never had any trouble with postmen or women on her round.
Royal Mail says it is required to treat all customers equally and cannot make exceptions in individual cases.
Royal Mail spokesman Sally Hopkins said: "Surcharging customers is the last thing Royal Mail wants to do and we would urge people sending mail to ensure they use the correct postage.
"We also suggest customers include the sender’s details on the back, so we can return the item to the sender if the addressee has gone away.
"The surcharge that is levied helps to cover the extra cost of handling items that have been underpaid."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
houseoflords
- Posts: 352
- Joined: 06 Feb 2012, 22:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
Welcome to the newly privatised Royal Mail, enough said.
-
Sidley
- Posts: 653
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
You can also attach the amount due in stamps to the grey card and give it to a Postie, who will cheerfully return with said card to the d.o. for you. Alternatively you can just pay the amount due and quit whining, and teach your niece an important life lesson about doing what is required and not blaming someone else for your own failures.
This lady is the recipient of Sidley's Gluehead of the week award.

Awesome! Even the commenters agree this is a trivial non story from a moaner.
This lady is the recipient of Sidley's Gluehead of the week award.

Awesome! Even the commenters agree this is a trivial non story from a moaner.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
She said: "We have all had problems with Royal Mail before I am sure"
I love this quote, I guess that from now on everything will be P739'd :)
I love this quote, I guess that from now on everything will be P739'd :)
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
BrilliantSidley wrote:You can also attach the amount due in stamps to the grey card and give it to a Postie, who will cheerfully return with said card to the d.o. for you. Alternatively you can just pay the amount due and quit whining, and teach your niece an important life lesson about doing what is required and not blaming someone else for your own failures.
This lady is the recipient of Sidley's Gluehead of the week award.
Awesome! Even the commenters agree this is a trivial non story from a moaner.
I won
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
Fail to see what bearing a child has got on it. It the letter means that much to you pay the surcharge and move on with your life.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
So by her reckoning I can send my 7 yr old into a shop with only 50p and expect them to walk out with 70p worth of sweets? How about her getting the child to stump up the extra surcharge for her - could be a useful life lesson for the little darling - 'pay what you owe, or suffer the wrath of Auntie Gail'.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
Lives in Marlow and moans about £1.20.
If Royal Mail agreed with her then addressing anything Aunty ...... or Uncle ...... would be you voucher for free postage.
If Royal Mail agreed with her then addressing anything Aunty ...... or Uncle ...... would be you voucher for free postage.
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
We've got a few of these types on our P&L and it's always the same ones who complain about surcharged items, and why couldn't we ignore the missing stamp or underpaid item. I told them we only see the surcharge card and not the actual item, it didn't stop them from blaming us for not bringing the item out on delivery and letting them have it, just like that person claiming it was from a child.
Some of the writing on mail makes you wonder how well people were taught with regards to writing and also the English language as well, so it could be from anyone and not just a child.
Some of the writing on mail makes you wonder how well people were taught with regards to writing and also the English language as well, so it could be from anyone and not just a child.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
we were thinking what could we do in our office.
we decided to buy her a " we are sorry " card and then not put enough postage on it
we decided to buy her a " we are sorry " card and then not put enough postage on it
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
doorstepped wrote:we were thinking what could we do in our office.
we decided to buy her a " we are sorry " card and then not put enough postage on it
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Mr_Pink
- Posts: 163
- Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
I was covering the callers office the other day, some smug git came in to collect a surcharge that a relative a had sent him, slams a carrier bag down with £1.57 in 1ps, mutters something sarcastic under his breath, proceeds to try and snatch the letter out of my hand, so I make him wait while I count it (3 times)
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
You should have explained that you can not accept such payment as the Royal Mint makes it clear that 1p coins are only Legal Tender "for any amount not exceeding 20p".Mr_Pink wrote:I was covering the callers office the other day, some smug git came in to collect a surcharge that a relative a had sent him, slams a carrier bag down with £1.57 in 1ps, mutters something sarcastic under his breath, proceeds to try and snatch the letter out of my hand, so I make him wait while I count it (3 times)
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
Lounge Lizard wrote:You should have explained that you can not accept such payment as the Royal Mint makes it clear that 1p coins are only Legal Tender "for any amount not exceeding 20p".Mr_Pink wrote:I was covering the callers office the other day, some smug git came in to collect a surcharge that a relative a had sent him, slams a carrier bag down with £1.57 in 1ps, mutters something sarcastic under his breath, proceeds to try and snatch the letter out of my hand, so I make him wait while I count it (3 times)
They should put this up on all callers counters so you can really piss people off right across the country.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Anger as Royal Mail refuses to deliver child's letter
£2 - for any amountwabbithunta wrote:Lounge Lizard wrote:You should have explained that you can not accept such payment as the Royal Mint makes it clear that 1p coins are only Legal Tender "for any amount not exceeding 20p".Mr_Pink wrote:I was covering the callers office the other day, some smug git came in to collect a surcharge that a relative a had sent him, slams a carrier bag down with £1.57 in 1ps, mutters something sarcastic under his breath, proceeds to try and snatch the letter out of my hand, so I make him wait while I count it (3 times)
They should put this up on all callers counters so you can really piss people off right across the country.
£1 - for any amount
50p - for any amount not exceeding £10
20p - for any amount not exceeding £10
10p - for any amount not exceeding £5
5p - for any amount not exceeding £5
2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p