Royal Mail urges people to change house numbers after data breach
http://newsthump.com/2014/06/17/royal-m ... ta-breach/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
The UK’s Information Commissioner is today investigating a massive data theft of names and addresses from a Royal Mail facility in Slough.
The data breach is said to be restricted to ‘only’ 2-3 million UK residents, although the full extent of the breach is not yet known.
“I can confirm that last night a directory was removed from our secure data facility in Slough,” said Royal Mail’s Head of Letters and Numbers.
“The paper directory, sometimes known as a ‘phone book’ contained millions of names and addresses in unencrypted format.”
“We apologise unreservedly for this breach, and we’re recommending people immediately change their house numbers to something more complicated, using a mixture of upper and lower-case numbers, then re-paint them on the front of their houses.”
Houses at risk of being stolen
“The problem is that most people still use the house numbers they were given when they first moved in,” says Post Operative Simon Williams.
“Some of the really obvious numbers, like ’1′ are just asking to be hacked if you ask me.”
“It’s just laziness,” he continues. “People think just because they’ve never had their house number stolen it can’t happen to them.”
“Personally I change my house number every six months.”
Number %0! Downing Street refused to comment, saying it was a matter for the relevant authorities.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
RM urges people to change house numbers after data breach
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
RM urges people to change house numbers after data breach
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: RM urges people to change house numbers after data breac
Absolutely! Couldn’t agree more.
All houses should be using a good anti-virus program these days.
Probably wise though to seek professional advice before attempting to install a firewall,
as these things can be a bit tricky to use.
All houses should be using a good anti-virus program these days.
Probably wise though to seek professional advice before attempting to install a firewall,
as these things can be a bit tricky to use.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
freelunch
- Posts: 358
- Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
- Gender: Male
Re: RM urges people to change house numbers after data breac
Noticed this myself on the duties I've been assigned to, people stubbornly stick to the same numbers/letters the previous owner used.
In this day and age you can't be complacent. I've been telling them to wise up and change their numbers but only one has changed so far - Mrs Brown revised her number 13 to 11A.
In this day and age you can't be complacent. I've been telling them to wise up and change their numbers but only one has changed so far - Mrs Brown revised her number 13 to 11A.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: RM urges people to change house numbers after data breac
I thought this would happen one day so I changed my number weeks ago to flat 1 , t..... street. Can't think why I havent had the last 8 packets I ordered!
Seriously though, I get letters on my duty for no 1 or no 2 etc soandso street when there are 16 different named terraces off that street. Numbers 1 to 8 get really cheesed off.
Seriously though, I get letters on my duty for no 1 or no 2 etc soandso street when there are 16 different named terraces off that street. Numbers 1 to 8 get really cheesed off.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: RM urges people to change house numbers after data breac
TNT are already doing this for customers .... although they don't realise it until someone from a different number brings their mail round to them.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: RM urges people to change house numbers after data breac
Some of the houses I go to have gone undercover and have done away with numbers or names
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: RM urges people to change house numbers after data breac
Some of my recent delivery points have taken clever advantage of the seasonal plant growth to conceal the identity of their house name or number and it seems a few are even trying to cover up the access path to the front door using similar methods.Some of the houses I go to have gone undercover and have done away with numbers or names
We're all here because we're not all there