ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by Nondescript »

The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago I made a bit of a stupid mistake, but it was a genuine one. As far as my immediate manager was concerned, he told me about it and that should have been the end of it, but a snide who was also aware of it decided to grass me up to the DOM and I have now been subject to a fact finding interview and possibly may be conduct coded.

The snide is a heavy smoker who is always sneaking off for a quick puff on the loading bay, so, is it permissible for him to be smoking on RM property?
scrapsaturdays
Posts: 41
Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 09:16
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by scrapsaturdays »

I would so no. Smokers at our office are supposed to leave Royal Mail grounds never mind the loading area. They generally just go to the van yard. Managers are quite relaxed about that.They will give smokers a bollocking if caught nearer the office, especially if by the door. Interested to hear how other offices manage smokers.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by doorstepped »

we have a designated smokers shed by the yard gates and all smokers have to do so there.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by deltaforce »

Designated areas only or off premises
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by Himaggen »

I would suggest that there is a very strong likelihood that a loading bay will be considered a smoke-free place and as a result it will be a criminal offence to smoke there. Generally if your loading bay has a roof and is enclosed on 3 sides or for more than 50% then it would be considered to be a smoke-free place.

It is also an offence if your PIC, (DOM), has not displayed no smoking signs or has failed to prevent smoking in a smoke-free place. The fines/sentences for the latter offences being significantly greater than those given to the smoker, unless of course that was the DOM too!
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by Nondescript »

Himaggen wrote:I would suggest that there is a very strong likelihood that a loading bay will be considered a smoke-free place and as a result it will be a criminal offence to smoke there. Generally if your loading bay has a roof and is enclosed on 3 sides or for more than 50% then it would be considered to be a smoke-free place.

It is also an offence if your PIC, (DOM), has not displayed no smoking signs or has failed to prevent smoking in a smoke-free place. The fines/sentences for the latter offences being significantly greater than those given to the smoker, unless of course that was the DOM too!
I should have been a bit more clear - he isn't actually on the loading bay when he is smoking, but to the side of it, smoking next to a designated path used for access and egress to the office.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by baldrick »

You are not allowed to smoke anywhere on RM premises, including outside in the yard or a loading bay. There used to be a smoking shelter outside in my MC's yard but that was removed, and anyone wanting to smoke had to go outside the gates and smoke on the pavement.

Edit: This might just have been the policy at my mc. I don't know if it applies to all RM premises. I believe the law only says smoking is not permitted in enclosed spaces in workplaces.
gosickwithstress
Posts: 69
Joined: 16 Mar 2013, 12:28
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by gosickwithstress »

Nondescript wrote:The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago I made a bit of a stupid mistake, but it was a genuine one. As far as my immediate manager was concerned, he told me about it and that should have been the end of it, but a snide who was also aware of it decided to grass me up to the DOM and I have now been subject to a fact finding interview and possibly may be conduct coded.

The snide is a heavy smoker who is always sneaking off for a quick puff on the loading bay, so, is it permissible for him to be smoking on RM property?
What bugs me is that staff seem to think it is acceptable to keep sneaking off every so often for a quick smoke,
Even when there is work to be done such as sorting Etc. How often do they do this on delivery as well ?????
I Used to be a smoker myself, But I only ever used my Breaks for a quick smoke.
In Our Office there are smokers that seem to have the smaller Duties even after the Revision, And they all have a jolly
good old chuckle when they are outside smoking, This can happen about 3 times during IPS and Prep time while
non smokers are trying to get the jobs done to finish on time.
I Think I am going to Start Smoking again for a easier time. Maybe I could Vape or just smoke some fresh air
every time they go outside. Grace Breaks Indeed !, They should not be smoking on any RM premises or near
any Entrance or Exits Doors. It took me three times to give up smoking after 10 years, And to have that smoke blown
in your face, Oh god I wish could have a lovely Fag, But being Part Time I cant afford to smoke like the rest of the Full Timers :whistle
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
Posts: 180
Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by Dumpys Rusty Nuts »

dazmolesey wrote:
Nondescript wrote:The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago I made a bit of a stupid mistake, but it was a genuine one. As far as my immediate manager was concerned, he told me about it and that should have been the end of it, but a snide who was also aware of it decided to grass me up to the DOM and I have now been subject to a fact finding interview and possibly may be conduct coded.

The snide is a heavy smoker who is always sneaking off for a quick puff on the loading bay, so, is it permissible for him to be smoking on RM property?
What bugs me is that staff seem to think it is acceptable to keep sneaking off every so often for a quick smoke,
Even when there is work to be done such as sorting Etc. How often do they do this on delivery as well ?????
I Used to be a smoker myself, But I only ever used my Breaks for a quick smoke.
In Our Office there are smokers that seem to have the smaller Duties even after the Revision, And they all have a jolly
good old chuckle when they are outside smoking, This can happen about 3 times during IPS and Prep time while
non smokers are trying to get the jobs done to finish on time.
I Think I am going to Start Smoking again for a easier time. Maybe I could Vape or just smoke some fresh air
every time they go outside. Grace Breaks Indeed !, They should not be smoking on any RM premises or near
any Entrance or Exits Doors. It took me three times to give up smoking after 10 years, And to have that smoke blown
in your face, Oh god I wish could have a lovely Fag, But being Part Time I cant afford to smoke like the rest of the Full Timers :whistle
Please, please start smoking again. In fact go further and start chain smoking. You deserve yourself.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by Judgee »

Dumpys Rusty Nuts wrote:
dazmolesey wrote:
Nondescript wrote:The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago I made a bit of a stupid mistake, but it was a genuine one. As far as my immediate manager was concerned, he told me about it and that should have been the end of it, but a snide who was also aware of it decided to grass me up to the DOM and I have now been subject to a fact finding interview and possibly may be conduct coded.

The snide is a heavy smoker who is always sneaking off for a quick puff on the loading bay, so, is it permissible for him to be smoking on RM property?
What bugs me is that staff seem to think it is acceptable to keep sneaking off every so often for a quick smoke,
Even when there is work to be done such as sorting Etc. How often do they do this on delivery as well ?????
I Used to be a smoker myself, But I only ever used my Breaks for a quick smoke.
In Our Office there are smokers that seem to have the smaller Duties even after the Revision, And they all have a jolly
good old chuckle when they are outside smoking, This can happen about 3 times during IPS and Prep time while
non smokers are trying to get the jobs done to finish on time.
I Think I am going to Start Smoking again for a easier time. Maybe I could Vape or just smoke some fresh air
every time they go outside. Grace Breaks Indeed !, They should not be smoking on any RM premises or near
any Entrance or Exits Doors. It took me three times to give up smoking after 10 years, And to have that smoke blown
in your face, Oh god I wish could have a lovely Fag, But being Part Time I cant afford to smoke like the rest of the Full Timers :whistle
Please, please start smoking again. In fact go further and start chain smoking. You deserve yourself.
:thumbup
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by POSTMAN »

To: All Branches with Postal Members

Regional Health and Safety Forums and Regional Secretaries

Dear Colleagues,

Smoking Rooms in Royal Mail Buildings, Smoking Shelters and Outside Designated Smoking Areas on Royal Mail Premises

Further to previous Letters to Branches and BOB Paragraphs on the new "Smokefree" legislation, this is to inform Branches and Area Safety Reps that the revised Royal Mail Group Smoking Policy is still to be finalised by the Royal Mail Board - a decision having been deferred by the board at it's meeting on 21 March.

All Smoking Rooms in Scotland closed in order to comply with legislation introduced on 29 March 2006 and smoking rooms in other RM group Buildings will be closed and be locked on 2 April in Wales, 30 April in Northern Ireland and finally on 1 July in England when the new legislation comes in to force in those parts of the UK along with Royal Mail Group's new Smoking Policy of which we await finalisation and publication.

Questions have been raised regarding the future use of former smoking rooms, existing smoking shelters and new outside designated smoking areas. The questions fall into 3 main areas:-

· Will Smoking Shelters be retained and modified to meet the new smokefree legislation ?

The Union has been pressing Royal Mail to provide Shelters which meet the new legislation by modifying and where necessary moving existing shelters. Royal Mail's present position to provide no new shelters and to close and decommission all existing Shelters which do not comply with the new legislation (which is probably all of them). The Union has made strong representations, asking them to reconsider their position and provide compliant shelters. The Royal Mail Board's final decision on this is awaited as mentioned above.

· What will happen to existing smoking rooms when they close ?

We have asked that consideration be given as to whether existing smoking rooms can be used for other social and welfare use following closure. The following has been confirmed by the Royal Mail Group Head of Health:

The Royal Mail Group Smoking Policy allows for local consultation between management and Union representatives for local matters (e.g. reallocation of use of smoking rooms)

· How will the new outside designated smoking areas be determined and decided upon ?


The following has been confirmed by the Royal Mail Group Head of Health:

Smoking will only be allowed in locally agreed and designated areas. Such areas will be agreed on between the site manager with appropriate expert input and the local CWU Union representatives.

Any queries relating to this LTB should be directed to the HS&E Department at CWU Headquarters.
There is also the has to be at least 4 meters away from doors and windows thing.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by Nondescript »

Cheers for all input :thumbup
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by postypie »

Find this whole topic a drag.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by Barbel »

Everyone smokes in the bike sheds at our place.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Smoking on Royal Mail property..is it permitted?

Post by scoobydo79 »

Barbel wrote:Everyone smokes in the bike sheds at our place.
Do You snog the girls and give the new boys a dead leg lol