ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

USE YOUR TROLLY

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: USE YOUR TROLLY

Post by bustedflush »

At last a sensible balanced post about the dratted trolleys - I can't really add anything other than all my opinions are mentioned here. I will say though, I had recurring shoulder pain in my right from pulling them, arm twisted at an unnatural angle, pushing even worse. Then when the right side was emptying keep having to move bundles across from the left to balance it. I even had a dog piss on it once. Jack Russell if I recall correctly.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: USE YOUR TROLLY

Post by greengiant »

I use a HCT on my round. While it helpfully reduces weight needing to be carried, it does seem to slow the pace down, especially as you have to move the trolly, deliver to an address, return to trolly, move to next address and repeat. At the parts of the round where I lock the trolly up, and loop from it using bags, the pace picks up seeing as you don't need to move the trolly all the time...

Anyway, brake cable snapped on the trolly today :mad , (reported it to DOM on my return to office) so I'll see what I get to use tomorrow....
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: USE YOUR TROLLY

Post by Lincox »

Biggest problem with LWT is that self consciously you start to bend at the hips especially when pushing. This automatically means the spine angle no longer is properly supporting the head and upper body, and therefore there is strain put on the legs and hips. Saying that I cannot stand walking round with a bag on the shoulder, PDA hanging from the wrist, and bundle in the left hand. Alright until you get an awkward letter box or need to write out a P739, or grab a packet from the bag. BRING BACK CYCLES> These should have been modernised to cope with the change in what is in the mailbag.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: USE YOUR TROLLY

Post by datasaint »

cobberwebb wrote:
holly123 wrote:slipped disc or dog bite / chapped hands mmmm :neutral:
A colleague of mine got sciatica from using the LWT. Even my hip starts to hurt after using it for 4+ hours.
I notice this, you don't walk naturally when pulling a heavy trolley especially uphill.

With trolley you end up walking further as you have to double back on yourself to pick it up.

I welcome the trolley when packets get too much for one loop but not to be used all the time.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: USE YOUR TROLLY

Post by OnAFlyer »

Lincox wrote:Biggest problem with LWT is that self consciously you start to bend at the hips especially when pushing. This automatically means the spine angle no longer is properly supporting the head and upper body, and therefore there is strain put on the legs and hips. Saying that I cannot stand walking round with a bag on the shoulder, PDA hanging from the wrist, and bundle in the left hand. Alright until you get an awkward letter box or need to write out a P739, or grab a packet from the bag. BRING BACK CYCLES> These should have been modernised to cope with the change in what is in the mailbag.
Make smaller bundles and carry the PDA in your bag until it's needed.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: USE YOUR TROLLY

Post by Lincox »

While the walk has a designated mode of delivery, that is what I will use. I don,t intend giving them an option out of meeting an accident on delivery claim. Walking with weight on your shoulder is cumbersome and I dont see how having the PDA in your bag helps. Just another thing to try and wrench out of the bag if you need it.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: USE YOUR TROLLY

Post by greengiant »

OnAFlyer wrote:
Lincox wrote:Biggest problem with LWT is that self consciously you start to bend at the hips especially when pushing. This automatically means the spine angle no longer is properly supporting the head and upper body, and therefore there is strain put on the legs and hips. Saying that I cannot stand walking round with a bag on the shoulder, PDA hanging from the wrist, and bundle in the left hand. Alright until you get an awkward letter box or need to write out a P739, or grab a packet from the bag. BRING BACK CYCLES> These should have been modernised to cope with the change in what is in the mailbag.
Make smaller bundles and carry the PDA in your bag until it's needed.
Or use a PDA holster? Although don't have the holster harness to long, so it hits you in the knackers.... :shock: