ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM bans The Drum for putting the word f##k on it's cover

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

RM bans The Drum for putting the word f##k on it's cover

Post by POSTMAN »

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/06/10/ ... ront-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Royal Mail bans The Drum for putting the word ‘f**k’ on front cover

The Royal Mail has apparently refused to distribute the current issue of The Drum magazine as it uses the word ‘f**k’ prominently on the front cover.

The 11 June edition of the magazine may now be delayed for up to two days as a result of being sent back to the printer to have its packaging tweaked to ensure the word cannot be seen through its transparent wrap.

The Drum is the reigning PPA Business Magazine of the Year and the cover is being used to highlight a competition it ran for readers to design a World Cup poster. The cover was based on one of the entries from designer Steve Price and read: "f**k it football is s**t. When is Downton back on."

A Royal Mail staff member told The Drum that it would be unable to distribute the magazine due to the "offensive word on the front cover".

He explained: "There is potential that a child could pick up mail meant for their parents," adding that "the company has previously stated that such words are not permitted on mail".

He added that Royal Mail staff could "see it and take offence".

Senior Royal Mail staff were unable to verify whether this decision would ultimately be upheld. But the fact that the title was delayed in the postal system forced The Drum to recall the issue to have its packaging changed.
Image

Gordon Young, editor of The Drum, said: “Oh for f**k's sake. This magazine is a subscription only business-to-business title with a tightly defined readership. The sort of language our readers come across day-to-day is probably not dissimilar to the sort of language used in a Royal Mail sorting office and I reckon it is unlikely they will be offended.

“And the end of the day ‘f**k’ is simply a word which is in the English dictionary and has been in use since at least Shakespearean times. I am amazed that in this day and age these are grounds for preventing the distribution of a news magazine.

“I appreciate the Royal Mail have to be alert about some of the stuff people may wish to distribute but I think they should concentrate on work which is clearly illegal as opposed to deciding what is and what is not tasteful.”

At the time of writing the magazine was expected to land on desks on Friday 13. “We advise readers to get to their mail box first to protect the fainthearted,” said Young.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: RM bans The Drum for putting the word f##k on it's cove

Post by bustedflush »

Brilliant, only I'd have designed it 'DOWNTON IS s**t, WHEN'S THE FOOTBALL BACK ON?'

I doubt if it'd offend the thick-skinned RM workers, but it shouldn't be delivered as RM said where kids could see it. We've got to have some decorum or standards set.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: RM bans The Drum for putting the word f##k on it's cove

Post by freelunch »

I am a SHOCKED Royal Mail employee, SHOCKED I tell ye :shock: :shock:

Fortunately, my thick(skinned) colleague doing my prep is well able to protect me - just get him to strategically place a sticker on the grossly offensive item.
No need to send it back to the printers. Seriously.........

WTF!!
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: RM bans The Drum for putting the word f##k on it's cove

Post by DGP1 »

I'm offended with the Sun................wait, that's been done.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: RM bans The Drum for putting the word f##k on it's cove

Post by k979aaa »

DGP1 wrote:I'm offended with the Sun................wait, that's been done.
Not enough I forgive you my son I pray you will denounce the devil incarnate with all your might.