ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Taking vans home

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Taking vans home

Post by maisymoo04 »

Mezza wrote:We have a manager who uses a van (a hire van usually) to get to and from work each day and that's about a 36 mile round trip each time. he never fills in the log book and he is the fleet manager, so there's no record of what he's doing. The fact that we have one vehicle doing 5 times more mileage and obviously using more fuel than any other vehicle is never picked up.

Even people that do a daily HCT delivery get back to the office and take a van home, or wait for one to come back and then go home.
Mezza please pm the managers name and am blow the w@@@ up :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
brasseye
Posts: 69
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Taking vans home

Post by brasseye »

Mezza wrote:We have a manager who uses a van (a hire van usually) to get to and from work each day and that's about a 36 mile round trip each time. he never fills in the log book and he is the fleet manager, so there's no record of what he's doing. The fact that we have one vehicle doing 5 times more mileage and obviously using more fuel than any other vehicle is never picked up.

Even people that do a daily HCT delivery get back to the office and take a van home, or wait for one to come back and then go home.

I think I know who this is of whom you speak..... :whistle
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Taking vans home

Post by dave72 »

I've started taking mine home, saved me £20 a week in fuel for my car and I don't have a drive or any off road parking available for the van

On my day off I stick my push bike (cycle to work scheme) in the back the night before and then come home on that
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Taking vans home

Post by arnold cheshire »

dave72 wrote:I've started taking mine home, saved me £20 a week in fuel for my car and I don't have a drive or any off road parking available for the van

On my day off I stick my push bike (cycle to work scheme) in the back the night before and then come home on that
i can see our union blocking taking them home because thats the kind of thing they do
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Taking vans home

Post by daveyeff »

mickeymacca wrote:How does it work when people have a rest day and they usually take the van home? I ask as this has been muted at our SPDO, 2 vans for 4 people. None of us live in the village where we work. I can't see any other way than collecting daily the vans from the main DO. The SPDO does not have adequate parking to accomodate any vehicles. Bit of a poser for the powers that be......
you dont take the van home when you are off the next day.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Taking vans home

Post by Lounge Lizard »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
dave72 wrote:I've started taking mine home, saved me £20 a week in fuel for my car and I don't have a drive or any off road parking available for the van

On my day off I stick my push bike (cycle to work scheme) in the back the night before and then come home on that
i can see our union blocking taking them home because thats the kind of thing they do
I can't see our union blocking anything, or doing anything that Royal Mail hasn't suggested. :sad:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Taking vans home

Post by Lounge Lizard »

mickeymacca wrote:How does it work when people have a rest day and they usually take the van home? I ask as this has been muted at our SPDO, 2 vans for 4 people. None of us live in the village where we work. I can't see any other way than collecting daily the vans from the main DO. The SPDO does not have adequate parking to accomodate any vehicles. Bit of a poser for the powers that be......
You make other arrangements immediately before and immediately after the rest day, but Royal Mail still provides your transport and pays for the diesel five days out of six. :nana
That none of you live in the village where you work is of no consequence. :Very Happy I live some distance away and drive the van home and back in. :nana
Most SPDOs don't have adequate on site parking but most are in villages where there's space enough on the nearby road or lane and the risk of theft or vandalism is negligible. :nana
But if collecting the vans daily from the main DO would work best for you then have a go at that. :Very Happy
The option of taking vans home is about the only improvement in the job over recent years and I don't understand the objections. :shock:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Taking vans home

Post by krussel »

Saving £20 a week on fuel. :hmmmm

Ok I get that. Now this is just prob me ok. The last thing I want to see when I finish work for the day is a bloody RM van stuck outside my house, let alone on my drive. Its a reminder of work within my own time and something of which i am responsible for.

Personally I would pay the £20 and leave all trace of RM at the gate when I go home.

However this is just me.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
sequinn
Posts: 71
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 21:58
Gender: Female

Re: Taking vans home

Post by sequinn »

If you use a Royal Mail van to travel to and from work and park it on your premises/public street, are you covered by their insurance?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Taking vans home

Post by arnold cheshire »

sequinn wrote:If you use a Royal Mail van to travel to and from work and park it on your premises/public street, are you covered by their insurance?
you shouldnt be driving it once your home
sequinn
Posts: 71
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 21:58
Gender: Female

Re: Taking vans home

Post by sequinn »

I didn't say I would be driving it out of work hours.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Taking vans home

Post by arnold cheshire »

sequinn wrote:I didn't say I would be driving it out of work hours.
this has been going on for 4 years and you are lucky saving petrol diesel and nobody knows how sad :thumbup
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Taking vans home

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

sequinn wrote:If you use a Royal Mail van to travel to and from work and park it on your premises/public street, are you covered by their insurance?
Yes as long as the procedures and agreements are complied with, and of course the nature of the claim is reasonable.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
boristhespider82
Posts: 9
Joined: 16 Jan 2014, 12:44
Gender: Male

Re: Taking vans home

Post by boristhespider82 »

don't get used to it guys. world class mail stops the vans going home.


that's ours stopped after 2 years
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Taking vans home

Post by dave72 »

boristhespider82 wrote:don't get used to it guys. world class mail stops the vans going home.


that's ours stopped after 2 years
Really?

The reason I take mine home is because there is simply nowhere to park it at our sub-office. Where will I leave it