ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Boris Johnson quizzed as he makes secret visit to MP

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Boris Johnson quizzed as he makes secret visit to MP

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mount Pleasant housing row: Boris Johnson quizzed by New Journal as he makes secret visit to site

http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/20 ... -visit-sit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


He refused to answer questions from the New Journal, however, arguing that it was purely a technical visit.

The New Journal asked the Mayor why he was refusing to meet the local community, or reply to letters from MPs over their concerns about the plans.



WATCH: The moment the New Journal 'doorstepped' London Mayor Boris Johnson

Royal Mail wants planning permission to build 500 luxury flats – likely to be sold as investment homes to wealthy foreign clients. It is understood the group has formally objected to Islington Council plans to fine foreign owners of luxury flats as much as £60,000 a year.

The £100m Mount Pleasant plans include thousands of feet of office and retail space, but just 12 per cent affordable homes in the development.

Mr Johnson has taken the decision out of the hands of Camden and Islington councils, arguing that they will hold the development up.

No developer has been appointed yet, however, and Royal Mail admits it will be at least 18 months, and as long as four years, before work can begin.

Asked why he had not responded to the community, or letters from Islington housing chief James Murray and Islington South Labour MP Emily Thornberry, the Mayor said: “I’m sure we’ll write back.”

Quizzed on whether he thought London needed more luxury flats for absent foreign owners, he replied: “I think we need more housing.” Asked about the lack of affordable housing, he said: “I can’t comment.”

He also refused to comment on why he had “called-in” the plans, saying “that’s been reported already”.

His assistants argued that Camden and Islington hadn’t yet made their decision on the plans, even though both councils have held planning meetings in which they rejected them.

The New Journal asked the Mayor whether he had already made his mind up about the plans – he has already dismissed opponents as “bourgeois nimbys” – to which he responded: “You’ll be able to come to the hearing. I can’t possibly comment on that. I have to go.”

Cllr Murray said he had written to the Mayor two weeks ago pointing out that his intervention will not help work start sooner.

“Put simply, this application is just a money grab by the Royal Mail,” he said. He later said that he had not had any reply to the letter, and that Royal Mail’s application was designed simply to boost the value of the site.

“This visit was just a valuation exercise for Royal Mail,” he added.

Ms Thornberry said she had written to the Mayor several times asking for a meeting to put forward residents’ concerns about the development’s poor design.

“I had nothing of any substance back,” she said. “He needs to understand that I need to be able to talk to him and I’m concerned that he hasn’t replied to the representations I’ve made.”

It is understood that London Assembly members had asked to attend the visit on behalf of the community, but this was refused.

“We have been advised that objectors/supporters will not be invited to attend the site visit in line with the GLA procedure note,” an email to councillors said.

The Mayor has yet to set a date for his planning hearing.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.