ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by Budfrog »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27494912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Royal Mail is to trial a Sunday delivery service for parcels in response to the increasing demand for goods ordered online.

Later this summer it will open around 100 offices on a Sunday afternoon for customers to pick up their parcels.

Delivery offices with the highest parcel volumes across the UK will take part in the scheme.

The company will also try out parcel deliveries to addresses within the M25 motorway.

'Changing market'
"Through these new Sunday services we are exploring ways to improve our flexibility and provide more options for people to receive items they have ordered online," said Royal Mail's chief executive Moya Greene.

"The support of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) has enabled us to respond quickly to a changing market, " she added.

CWU deputy general secretary Dave Ward said: "Royal Mail's announcement about expanding delivery and collection services to seven-days-a-week is an exciting innovation which we welcome.

"We have worked closely with Royal Mail to develop how best we can go forward to grow the company together and improve the services for customers."

Royal Mail's express delivery service, Parcelforce Worldwide, which tends to deal with larger and more valuable parcels, will also offer a Sunday service to retailers from June. It will be up to the retailer to decide whether to offer it to customers.

The BBC's John Moylan says that rival firms, including Hermes and DPD, have already announced plans to deliver on Sundays and that some have been undercutting Royal Mail, which increased the price of posting letters and parcels earlier this year.

Royal Mail was privatised last year. The company reports its first annual results as a public company on Thursday.
wandle
Posts: 944
Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 17:17
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by wandle »

Finally. The business has woken up to the commercial realities of competing in the marketplace.

We are all shoppers. If the store we would prefer to buy a product from is not open on a Sunday, we are exceedingly likely to give our custom to someone who IS open, at a time that is convenient to us. Why do some people on here think that the likes of Amazon etc would be loyal to Royal Mail, if we don't provide them with a 7-day-a-week delivery service? The harsh reality is, Royal Mail MUST move with the times!
Last edited by wandle on 21 May 2014, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by raikky »

I agree. we can all be militant about it, and the cwu too, but they and everyone knows this must happen for royal mail to survive. I don't wanna work sundays but id rather have a job at the end of the day
Tman
Posts: 4145
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by Tman »

Funny though, as there was an Ops manager on here recently saying Sunday deliveries (of parcels) would "never happen as there was no call for it".
Maybe RM can make necessary commercial decisions after all.
wandle
Posts: 944
Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 17:17
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by wandle »

Tman wrote:Funny though, as there was an Ops manager on here recently saying Sunday deliveries (of parcels) would "never happen as there was no call for it".
Maybe RM can make necessary commercial decisions after all.
Having worked many years in Royal Mail, I have come to learn that the typical Royal Mail manager knows very little about very much. :roll:
Geezer
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1347
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 21:01

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by Geezer »

CWU SUPPORTS THE INTRODUCTION OF NEW SUNDAY SERVICES

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=62708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by Brain Fury »

I certainly said that Sunday delivery was very unlikely because it was apparently not financially viable. That was a direct quote from Moya at the Ops Managers Conference in March. Dave Ward told her he was willing to work with management to see how it could be made possible but she still seemed doubtful. I m surprised because she seemed so definite about it.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by Budfrog »

Brain Fury wrote:I certainly said that Sunday delivery was very unlikely because it was apparently not financially viable. That was a direct quote from Moya at the Ops Managers Conference in March. Dave Ward told her he was willing to work with management to see how it could be made possible but she still seemed doubtful. I m surprised because she seemed so definite about it.
What has prompted the move is the fact that some of the competition are now offering Sunday delivery however the advantage that they have is the fact that they will not be paying their staff the equivalent of Sunday Premium which is reflected in their pricing policy.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by k979aaa »

Another bloody stich up well I won't be working Sundays in a month of!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I'll happily work Sundays, as for me personally Its not a special day, but I understand why others would prefer not to . However, at an absolute minimum I would expect a guaranteed 2 consecutive days off during the week to compensate.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
hubbahubba
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1045
Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 22:02
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by hubbahubba »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I'll happily work Sundays, as for me personally Its not a special day, but I understand why others would prefer not to . However, at an absolute minimum I would expect a guaranteed 2 consecutive days off during the week to compensate.
Dont hold yer breath TBT.
We have people working at the MC that have the same 2 days off a week,on a rotate,but they're not together(saturday and tuesday,sunday and wednesday etc).
Family friendly eh? :sad:
same as it ever was...
cloherty1976
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1236
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 12:16
Gender: Male
Location: The south

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by cloherty1976 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I'll happily work Sundays, as for me personally Its not a special day, but I understand why others would prefer not to . However, at an absolute minimum I would expect a guaranteed 2 consecutive days off during the week to compensate.
If it's part of your duty I'll take it your get Sunday allowance but if it's overtime it will just be overtime rate.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I can only hope hubbahubba

Royal Mail - Family Friendly Pah

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
redandblue
Posts: 104
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 21:42
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail to pilot Sunday service for parcel deliveries

Post by redandblue »

Iv'e suddenly found God, so won't be working sundays :left: