ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The new trainers...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

The new trainers...

Post by sophie97 »

I hate to be a moaner, But im not getting on with the new trainers, Ive got the anvil ones, they are fine on my foot, but around 2/3rds through a walk, the balls of my feet really hurt, and by the time im home my feet are bruised on the soles. I occasionally still wear my cat trainers to give my feet a break.

Does anyone know if we still supply the cat trainers? I had no issues with them, its a pain they changed them.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by coxie »

Cat trainers were still on the website but I've heard of people ordering them and getting sent anvil instead so I don't know if that means out of stock of phasing them out. I don't like the anvil either I get blisters.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by Surreypostie »

According to my manager yes, ordering me some new ones today, much better, more comfortable, I had a new pair and could hardly walk and was bleeding after 2 days.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by wacko74 »

The new ones sound dreadful, lad in our office has got some and he says they've got no cushioning at all, you can feel every little stone that you step on through the sole
Robtor
Posts: 104
Joined: 11 Nov 2010, 11:25
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by Robtor »

Try the other new ones, the YDS ones, they're miles better than the CAT rubbish in every single way.

Our office trialed them January '13 and I was still wearing the same pair in April this year as I couldn't bear going back to the cats.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by weary_posty »

I've had mine for about 3 weeks and they're finally cutting me some slack

Was a nightmare wearing them in. Blisters bruises and sore feet.

I did notice when it was wet i lost my footing on a couple of occasions. I just hope this isn't a reoccurring thing.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by centenaryman »

I had anvil in the trial and found that after an hour or so my feet felt dead,,,pins and needles in them,,,,i`d stand at doors waiting for an answer wriggling me toes to get some life in them

I did put this in the questionnaire at the end of the trial,,,,and I know of a few others who had the same problem,,,but they seem to have stocked them anyway.....but then again what doesn't suit me....possibly is good for others
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by Lazycarton »

weary_posty wrote:
I did notice when it was wet i lost my footing on a couple of occasions. I just hope this isn't a reoccurring thing.
Fantastic....just as shite in the wet as Cats. You couldn't make it up could you :crazy:
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: The new trainers...

Post by doorstepped »

I have had the anvils for almost a week.

blisters on both heels, both balls of the feet and on both little toes.

I must have looked a real sight on saturday staggering down the road, I have gone back to the Cat boots, heavy and they are making my feet sweat, but at least they are comfortable.


what are the YDS one's like as I might ask for a pair of them.
sophie97
Posts: 169
Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
Gender: Female

Re: The new trainers...

Post by sophie97 »

Ive ordered some of the other brand now, hopefully they are better. the old cat ones i am wearing are like socks they are so worn!
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by freelunch »

doorstepped wrote:what are the YDS one's like as I might ask for a pair of them.
I found the YDS trainers to be good overall, better than CATs, and the thin-soled Anvils.

They're shower-resistant, of reasonable weight, offering some minor mid-sole support and the crappy YDS insole supplied can be easily removed and replaced/doubled.
The outsole seems to hit the right balance for Royal Mail - long lasting yet enough grip on most surfaces.
The only 'oddity' I found was with the deep tread pattern which has potential for injury.
I could catch the edge of steps descending staircases in apartment blocks and on occasion a van's control pedals would interlock with the shoes' grooves.
That said, once you're aware you make adjustments and learn to like them.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
VforVendetta
Posts: 16
Joined: 05 Oct 2013, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by VforVendetta »

Yep I ordered new YDS trainers after a year with the trial pair. In all the rain last year I only got wet feet once and then only because the water cascaded down my trousers into them! Never slipped once and they are comfortable although some might say not as comfy as the cats but then they were dangerous, non-waterproof and wore out after 5 minutes. The man from uniform said they are running the cat stock down so if they have run out you will get yds or anvils.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Re: The new trainers...

Post by GT85 »

I had some pain in the sole of my feet just behind my toes from my new YDS trainers but since packing out the affected area with a pair of gel pads from Wilkos they have been fine.
We're all here because we're not all there
scooby
Posts: 287
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:45
Gender: Male
Location: lost some where.....

Re: The new trainers...

Post by scooby »

i have the yds not keen on them feet are very sore and painful the insole is very thin cheap looking if you ask me. on a hot day they just sweat ya feet to
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: The new trainers...

Post by datasaint »

scooby wrote:i have the yds not keen on them feet are very sore and painful the insole is very thin cheap looking if you ask me. on a hot day they just sweat ya feet to
Not at all mate. With Goretex lined shoes you need to wear synthetic fibre socks so the moisture can escape. Cotton is too absorbing.

I wear these http://www.511tactical.com/recon-ankle-sock.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and my feet are dry after a duty.

I think the shoe is really good otherwise, took next to no time to walk-in and it's fairly light but robust.