ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Special Delivery help please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
paul1231 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
paul1231 wrote: Quite often I scan the special in the van on my way to the first one as typically always seems to be on one of the later loops (my partner likes the order) so surely doesn't matter where its scanned?
Do you scan it as undelivered though?
Ha no, I just leave it on the signature screen for when we get there but suppose its more about where you scan it in the end rather then at the start but im sure people have scanned an item and forgot to send till later on when you get it out for the next item and realise you haven't properly sent the last one?
If you scan a special on your way as you say then nothing will happen until you get it signed and press done on the PDA anyway,so it won't log your position of where you were when you scanned it until you actually finish the process.
It logs the time and location of where it was when the item is scanned, not when it's sent
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bluealbert wrote:
doorstepped wrote:because the PDA logs where you scan it via it's GPS.

so would take customer services only a few seconds to know you were not at the address when you scanned it.
But on my rural the gps does not work no signal :nana :nana
GPS will work as its done by satellites. I think you meant no comms signal, all that means is that every key press, scan, gps update etc, are buffered and sent when the PDA gets a signal or when its docked back at the DO.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12203
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by SpacePhoenix »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
bluealbert wrote:
doorstepped wrote:because the PDA logs where you scan it via it's GPS.

so would take customer services only a few seconds to know you were not at the address when you scanned it.
But on my rural the gps does not work no signal :nana :nana
GPS will work as its done by satellites. I think you meant no comms signal, all that means is that every key press, scan, gps update etc, are buffered and sent when the PDA gets a signal or when its docked back at the DO.
The PDAs only upload the data when they get a signal (you would have thought that RM would have gotten them set up so that any unsent stuff would send when they're sat in the cradle! :crazy: )
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

They use the vodafone network when on delivery thats why they don't upload in the van.

There is a site which gives a coverage map. http://ukmobilecoverage.co.uk/map/vodafone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not sure how accurate it is though.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by coxie »

We hat a WTLL about this and were told once it's been scanned we can't rescan it after 1pm and we are to bring it back. It must be scanned back in by indoor. We were told it would count as a failure if after already scanning as not delivered if we hand it over after 1pm. So as you were in doubt I'd say you done the right thing.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by hampshireman »

cobberwebb wrote:The first attempt is what matters, as long as that was before 1pm. Yes you could have returned to deliver that SD after 1pm. Also, if they had ID and the notice left card, I would have gave it to them on the street.
No way do you give a Special on the street
answer=42
Posts: 64
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by answer=42 »

coxie wrote:We hat a WTLL about this and were told once it's been scanned we can't rescan it after 1pm and we are to bring it back. It must be scanned back in by indoor. We were told it would count as a failure if after already scanning as not delivered if we hand it over after 1pm. So as you were in doubt I'd say you done the right thing.
I'm sorry but this is just totally wrong. Who took a WTL session and said this? Someone wearing a big gold hat with jobsworth written on it? If you scan as undelivered before 1pm and then for whatever reason manage to scan it as delivered there is no comeback. I have done it loads of times, either having tried to deliver with no answer and then later the customer is in or if someone has managed to catch up with us later in the afternoon. I know it doesn't cause a problem because when someone hasn't delivered one on time the follow up report comes in pretty quickly and is followed up enthusiastically by a 'well meaning manager' as soon as possible. I have never seen ANYTHING said when we've scanned one in twice.
hampshireman wrote:No way do you give a Special on the street
WHY? Someone you deliver to everyday arrives at the van, with the slip you left, with ID and proof of address and you won't give them their item? I haven't had a problem with this either, although to be fair I never do it unless I really know who they are and they have the slip and proper ID. If they haven't I deliver it to them at their address on the way back to the office (where I take the slip off them but don't ask for ID, go figure).

I reckon as long as you can justify your actions, you've done nothing dishonest and have acted in the best interests of the customer and the reputation of the business just use some common sense.....................what could possibly go wrong? :oops:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by Lounge Lizard »

answer=42 wrote:
coxie wrote:We hat a WTLL about this and were told once it's been scanned we can't rescan it after 1pm and we are to bring it back. It must be scanned back in by indoor. We were told it would count as a failure if after already scanning as not delivered if we hand it over after 1pm. So as you were in doubt I'd say you done the right thing.
I'm sorry but this is just totally wrong. Who took a WTL session and said this? Someone wearing a big gold hat with jobsworth written on it? If you scan as undelivered before 1pm and then for whatever reason manage to scan it as delivered there is no comeback. I have done it loads of times, either having tried to deliver with no answer and then later the customer is in or if someone has managed to catch up with us later in the afternoon. I know it doesn't cause a problem because when someone hasn't delivered one on time the follow up report comes in pretty quickly and is followed up enthusiastically by a 'well meaning manager' as soon as possible. I have never seen ANYTHING said when we've scanned one in twice.
hampshireman wrote:No way do you give a Special on the street
WHY? Someone you deliver to everyday arrives at the van, with the slip you left, with ID and proof of address and you won't give them their item? I haven't had a problem with this either, although to be fair I never do it unless I really know who they are and they have the slip and proper ID. If they haven't I deliver it to them at their address on the way back to the office (where I take the slip off them but don't ask for ID, go figure).

I reckon as long as you can justify your actions, you've done nothing dishonest and have acted in the best interests of the customer and the reputation of the business just use some common sense.....................what could possibly go wrong? :oops:
"and have acted in the best interests of the customer" - but the 'customer' has paid good money to have a Special Delivery delivered to, and a signature obtained at, a specific address. :Very Happy
brandydoguk
Posts: 53
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 10:26
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by brandydoguk »

We've been told the following regarding special deliveries:

The time the item is scanned is the time that is recorded, not when the info is sent. If it is getting close to one o'clock and we still have a special to deliver we should scan it before one o'clock, then if we are a bit late delivering it it will still show as being delivered before one pm.

We have also been told that if we knock at a door with a special and there is no answer and we leave a card, once we click the pda as not delivered that is it, it goes back in the van for return to the office. Even if I am walking out of the gate and the customer comes out asking for it I am not allowed to rescan the item and give them it.

Absolutely ridiculous.
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by aposter »

Once an SD item as an outdoor scan ( or allocated to 001B (po box) then the clock is stopped and the item will not fail if it is subsequently delivered after its time slot. (Ever delivered a 9am to a firm that is shut and carded will return with ordinary post?)

In the case of tracked items, they have to receive an outdoor scan the same day they are scanned as on delivery, if they are scanned undelivered on an outdoor scan then they can be subsequently scanned as delivered the same day on an outdoor scan and will not fail.

If they are returned to the office and scanned as collected by customer without being scanned returned, ready for collection they will fail. If they are not scanned returned, ready for collection by the indoor duty by ( iirc 9am) the following day then they will fail.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by coxie »

So on that basis I can scan all my special deliveries as not delivered them and then actually deliver them whatver time I like
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by hampshireman »

answer=42 wrote:
coxie wrote:We hat a WTLL about this and were told once it's been scanned we can't rescan it after 1pm and we are to bring it back. It must be scanned back in by indoor. We were told it would count as a failure if after already scanning as not delivered if we hand it over after 1pm. So as you were in doubt I'd say you done the right thing.
I'm sorry but this is just totally wrong. Who took a WTL session and said this? Someone wearing a big gold hat with jobsworth written on it? If you scan as undelivered before 1pm and then for whatever reason manage to scan it as delivered there is no comeback. I have done it loads of times, either having tried to deliver with no answer and then later the customer is in or if someone has managed to catch up with us later in the afternoon. I know it doesn't cause a problem because when someone hasn't delivered one on time the follow up report comes in pretty quickly and is followed up enthusiastically by a 'well meaning manager' as soon as possible. I have never seen ANYTHING said when we've scanned one in twice.
hampshireman wrote:No way do you give a Special on the street
WHY? Someone you deliver to everyday arrives at the van, with the slip you left, with ID and proof of address and you won't give them their item? I haven't had a problem with this either, although to be fair I never do it unless I really know who they are and they have the slip and proper ID. If they haven't I deliver it to them at their address on the way back to the office (where I take the slip off them but don't ask for ID, go figure).

I reckon as long as you can justify your actions, you've done nothing dishonest and have acted in the best interests of the customer and the reputation of the business just use some common sense.....................what could possibly go wrong? :oops:
It's to be delivered to the address.. Not on the street ; even if you know them very well
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Special Delivery help please

Post by wannabeek »

coxie wrote:So on that basis I can scan all my special deliveries as not delivered them and then actually deliver them whatver time I like
Seems the system won't flag that as a fail but I reckon you wouldn't get away with it many times without a customer complaining and then you'd be in trouble. Someone's paid extra for it to be delivered by 1pm - it could be very important to somebody if they're sitting in and waiting for it. I'd complain if it came after 1, would want a refund of the SD cost, for sure.