ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
Why is it that nowadays especially big companies just suck the life and soul out of the workforce? when 20 years ago life was good, people got treated fairly, everyone took their time, stress levels were down, etc. Life seems to be going backwards in my opinion, we've got company directors and managers up the chain earning far too much, and in turn the hard earning workers on the frontline getting shafted, bullied, and worked to the bone.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
Anybody that spent their working life at RM and retired more than 7 or 8 years ago never did a proper days work in their life.
The job was ridiculously easy when I started in 1997, and I had pretty much the longest walk in the office back then. When I was a leave reserve I used to cover a duty in the city centre that took 45 minutes in total, that was 1st and 2nd deliveries put together. Saturday mornings it took 10-12 minutes, one was even easier and that had 4 drops - but the driver did them for you if you did him a favour with packets during the week, so you threw it off and went home. Even the residentials were out for 6.30 and done before 8.30.
Christmas was a complete doddle as although you got cards, all the mailsort was off so you had less overall. Internet shopping and DSA hadn't been invented then!
However now....today and yesterday I got home around 3pm. Totally different job, I still don't mind it but you can't even compare to what it used to be.
The job was ridiculously easy when I started in 1997, and I had pretty much the longest walk in the office back then. When I was a leave reserve I used to cover a duty in the city centre that took 45 minutes in total, that was 1st and 2nd deliveries put together. Saturday mornings it took 10-12 minutes, one was even easier and that had 4 drops - but the driver did them for you if you did him a favour with packets during the week, so you threw it off and went home. Even the residentials were out for 6.30 and done before 8.30.
Christmas was a complete doddle as although you got cards, all the mailsort was off so you had less overall. Internet shopping and DSA hadn't been invented then!
However now....today and yesterday I got home around 3pm. Totally different job, I still don't mind it but you can't even compare to what it used to be.
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
When I started about 11 years ago it was so easy compared to now. No IPS sorting, you could go out with an early bag as long as you cleared down or got someone to clear down for you and it was job an knock! Saturdays you'd be done around 8am :D
I remember booking a doctors appointment on a Friday at 11:30 in the morning back in 2003, I was able to get home, have a cuppa tea, washed/changed and make it in plenty of time.
I remember booking a doctors appointment on a Friday at 11:30 in the morning back in 2003, I was able to get home, have a cuppa tea, washed/changed and make it in plenty of time.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
sat was that early in our office in 2003 more like 1230 pmCaniel wrote:When I started about 11 years ago it was so easy compared to now. No IPS sorting, you could go out with an early bag as long as you cleared down or got someone to clear down for you and it was job an knock! Saturdays you'd be done around 8am :D
I remember booking a doctors appointment on a Friday at 11:30 in the morning back in 2003, I was able to get home, have a cuppa tea, washed/changed and make it in plenty of time.
-
stroller
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 17:31
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
When i joined the post office many moons ago it was brilliant, managers were all ex postman who knew the job inside out, my first duty was 12/30 until 9/06 Monday to Friday and we used to get away just after 7 with loads of breaks during the day, one of the managers took me to one side when i first met him and said to me, dont let me catch you in the bar ( we had one in our office then ) i thought he was going to say you would get a serious offence but he said if i catch you in there you will have to buy me a drink.
How about that, would you get a manager nowadays saying that to you?
How about that, would you get a manager nowadays saying that to you?
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
11:30am was the official finish time in our office on a Saturday until about 2008.bringon4dayweeks wrote:sat was that early in our office in 2003 more like 1230 pmCaniel wrote:When I started about 11 years ago it was so easy compared to now. No IPS sorting, you could go out with an early bag as long as you cleared down or got someone to clear down for you and it was job an knock! Saturdays you'd be done around 8am :D
I remember booking a doctors appointment on a Friday at 11:30 in the morning back in 2003, I was able to get home, have a cuppa tea, washed/changed and make it in plenty of time.
-
jaylime
- Posts: 331
- Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
20 odd years ago we had to work six days a week,got paid a Saturday premium,worked good Friday,u.p.a.p never knew what this meant,out on the piss at 12.30 on a Friday,managers were still the same as now.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
Walking around today I worked out that although I am working only 5 days a week compared to 6 I am actually working 17 hours longer from when I started. 
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
not been around 25 years but just over 10 years ago
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 very full bags or 4 comfortable. about 2-3 packets in each
9.10 back at office for break till 9.50
9.50 pick up the 2nd delivery mail (consisting on average 5-10 letters)
9.55 head out for 2nd delivery
10.25 all delivered and go straight home
Saturday
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 comfortable bags. about 2-3 packets in each
9.00 back at office and go home
keep in mind that daily hours were shorter because of a 6 day week. But on reflection the amount of abuse our bodies take now a shorter day and 6 days would probably be better, with the nice early finishes on Saturdays.
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 very full bags or 4 comfortable. about 2-3 packets in each
9.10 back at office for break till 9.50
9.50 pick up the 2nd delivery mail (consisting on average 5-10 letters)
9.55 head out for 2nd delivery
10.25 all delivered and go straight home
Saturday
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 comfortable bags. about 2-3 packets in each
9.00 back at office and go home
keep in mind that daily hours were shorter because of a 6 day week. But on reflection the amount of abuse our bodies take now a shorter day and 6 days would probably be better, with the nice early finishes on Saturdays.
-
willybilly
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 04 May 2014, 04:09
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
In by 5, nights had all the mail in the walks, out by 7. Off by 11 and that included a 4 mile bike out.
I saw the writing on the wall when nights went out of the window. Now it's wait for a double stacked artic with walk sequenced boxes.
I saw the writing on the wall when nights went out of the window. Now it's wait for a double stacked artic with walk sequenced boxes.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12203
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
How big a DO? It must be a really big one to get mail from your local MC in a double stackerwillybilly wrote:In by 5, nights had all the mail in the walks, out by 7. Off by 11 and that included a 4 mile bike out.
I saw the writing on the wall when nights went out of the window. Now it's wait for a double stacked artic with walk sequenced boxes.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
willybilly wrote:In by 5, nights had all the mail in the walks, out by 7. Off by 11 and that included a 4 mile bike out.
I saw the writing on the wall when nights went out of the window. Now it's wait for a double stacked artic with walk sequenced boxes.
Oh bugger that 4 mile ride out
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
5 day week started 13 years ago some of us had to do 2 second deliveries while others where indoors sorting mailsort for the next dayPostie45 wrote:not been around 25 years but just over 10 years ago
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 very full bags or 4 comfortable. about 2-3 packets in each
9.10 back at office for break till 9.50
9.50 pick up the 2nd delivery mail (consisting on average 5-10 letters)
9.55 head out for 2nd delivery
10.25 all delivered and go straight home
Saturday
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 comfortable bags. about 2-3 packets in each
9.00 back at office and go home
keep in mind that daily hours were shorter because of a 6 day week. But on reflection the amount of abuse our bodies take now a shorter day and 6 days would probably be better, with the nice early finishes on Saturdays.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
I haven't been in the job 25 years but I remember about that long ago when I used to see a postie round our way doing second delivery on his moped,riding from house to house with a bag on his shoulder delivering mail. He didn't even wear a hi viz vest. 
-
Craig_Fairbrass
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
- Gender: Male
Re: postie job now vs 20-25 years ago
5 day week wasn't as long as 13 years ago, was still a 6 day week when I started in 2003.bringon4dayweeks wrote:5 day week started 13 years ago some of us had to do 2 second deliveries while others where indoors sorting mailsort for the next dayPostie45 wrote:not been around 25 years but just over 10 years ago
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 very full bags or 4 comfortable. about 2-3 packets in each
9.10 back at office for break till 9.50
9.50 pick up the 2nd delivery mail (consisting on average 5-10 letters)
9.55 head out for 2nd delivery
10.25 all delivered and go straight home
Saturday
5.00 am start
5.15 sorting
5.45 sorting done
7.00 out on delivery, probably 3 comfortable bags. about 2-3 packets in each
9.00 back at office and go home
keep in mind that daily hours were shorter because of a 6 day week. But on reflection the amount of abuse our bodies take now a shorter day and 6 days would probably be better, with the nice early finishes on Saturdays.