ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Picking the pace up?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

cweg wrote:That's almost 7 hours out on delivery! I feel for ya mate. How many bundles?
A HCT load! with wheens of packets :shock: Not sure if I may be getting put on a different duty as from next week, as looking at the rota for the w/c 5th may the previous duty holder is rotad in. No doubt I'll find out next week.

Anyway, out the door by half ten, then back in the DO by 4:45pm :arrrghhh

(I'm assuming i'll be off on monday as May bank holiday?)
lollollol wrote:The last letter is supposedly to be delivered by 3pm in the towns... seems strange to deliberately plan for a later delivery... would make sense to get you in earlier imo... :hmmmm
I did think it a little strange, I did have a complaint from a customer the other day about the mail getting delivered so late in the day.... Ho well, as long as I keep getting paid the o/t! :dance
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by coxie »

When I first started they put me on a tiny walk but it took me to my time, after a few weeks I was doing it in an hour and a half.
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by lollollol »

greengiant wrote:
cweg wrote:That's almost 7 hours out on delivery! I feel for ya mate. How many bundles?
A HCT load! with wheens of packets :shock: Not sure if I may be getting put on a different duty as from next week, as looking at the rota for the w/c 5th may the previous duty holder is rotad in. No doubt I'll find out next week.

Anyway, out the door by half ten, then back in the DO by 4:45pm :arrrghhh

(I'm assuming i'll be off on monday as May bank holiday?)
lollollol wrote:The last letter is supposedly to be delivered by 3pm in the towns... seems strange to deliberately plan for a later delivery... would make sense to get you in earlier imo... :hmmmm
I did think it a little strange, I did have a complaint from a customer the other day about the mail getting delivered so late in the day.... Ho well, as long as I keep getting paid the o/t! :dance
Quite correct greengiant... your main concern is that you get paid for the hours you work which appears to be the case... your other concerns about the job can be addressed at a later date... once your probation is up for starters... :thumbup
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Out the DO by just after 10, and back in the DO by 4pm, fortunately a lighter day mail / packet wise... At least I'm off till tuesday! :nana
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

:nana Actually arrived to a fully loaded trolley today! Out the door by just after 9am, back to base by 2:45!
Was also helpful that the bundles of mail in the trolley were sorted bagged up into loops, which saved me a heck of a lot of time out on the round!

Really enjoyed it today!
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by lollollol »

Let's hope it becomes the norm mate... :thumbup
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

lollollol wrote:Let's hope it becomes the norm mate... :thumbup
Hopefully so! :dance
paul1231
Posts: 112
Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by paul1231 »

How was the rest of the week for you? was quiet on Tuesday/Wednesday and I got back before 3 both days but yesterday was mental we dropped half a yorkie of parcels and still didn't make it back till 4. Didn't get chance to put election stuff in but its my day off today and apparently it was going to be really busy just hope the floater didn't claim on all my election stuff :hmmmm
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Wednesday was fine, got help to get packets sorted & mail sorted. Got shown a better way to bundle up and load the HCT, using several bags. Out the door by half 9 ish, and back to the DO by just after 3.

Thursday was my day off.

A bit later in getting out today as I had a bag and a half of packets to sort, and I was left to bundle up myself. Eventually got out the DO door by half 10, returning back by 4:20pm. A pretty heavy day mail & packet wise, but I reckon I made it around just about a half hour over my delivery span.

Hopefully the DOMs should be fine with that, as rumour has it they have been questioning why I've been taking so long to get back..... :neutral:

No doubt i could probably pick the pace up bundling up, and I probably spend too long flick checking (and sometimes double flick checking) mail on the doorstep before posting it through the letter box....
Dandylion
Posts: 50
Joined: 27 Feb 2014, 17:57
Gender: Female

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by Dandylion »

My first full week after training last week, well I am in tomorrow too. Not gonna lie physically I am shattered and I ache so bad. Tue-sat with no day off has been a long week.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by bustedflush »

Dandylion wrote:My first full week after training last week, well I am in tomorrow too. Not gonna lie physically I am shattered and I ache so bad. Tue-sat with no day off has been a long week.
You'll get used to it, and soon you'll be a runner getting back at 13:00-13:30 each day, no trolley small loops.... :crazy:

Seriously, it takes 3 or 4 weeks getting used to the walking and 'curing' the ache-points in your legs/feet. At least you'll be on the same walk while you are training at the office, and by the time you're used to it the aching will go. Unfortunately you'll then get moved to another round each week, and that's when the mental stress starts. Throwing new frames off, feeling you're not doing it fast enough and slowing the other postie down etc. Stick at it though, and you do get more confident and meet a mostly good bunch of people. :cool
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Dandylion wrote:My first full week after training last week, well I am in tomorrow too. Not gonna lie physically I am shattered and I ache so bad. Tue-sat with no day off has been a long week.
You'll get there Dandylion! Get decent socks though! :crazy:
Dandylion
Posts: 50
Joined: 27 Feb 2014, 17:57
Gender: Female

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by Dandylion »

greengiant wrote:
Dandylion wrote:My first full week after training last week, well I am in tomorrow too. Not gonna lie physically I am shattered and I ache so bad. Tue-sat with no day off has been a long week.
You'll get there Dandylion! Get decent socks though! :crazy:
Thanks I have been pinching my husbands new work socks lol! Was in 9-3 today we got out at 10 and was back for 3.
Shattered.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Dandylion wrote:
greengiant wrote:
Dandylion wrote:My first full week after training last week, well I am in tomorrow too. Not gonna lie physically I am shattered and I ache so bad. Tue-sat with no day off has been a long week.
You'll get there Dandylion! Get decent socks though! :crazy:
Thanks I have been pinching my husbands new work socks lol! Was in 9-3 today we got out at 10 and was back for 3.
Shattered.
I'm currently trying out "1000 mile socks"...

My saturday was pretty busy, had 2 bags of packets & some mail to sort, got out the DO by 10:30, and back by 16:10 :-/
Hopefully a lighter day for Monday...
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by DB1100 »

greengiant wrote:
Dandylion wrote:
greengiant wrote:
Dandylion wrote:My first full week after training last week, well I am in tomorrow too. Not gonna lie physically I am shattered and I ache so bad. Tue-sat with no day off has been a long week.
You'll get there Dandylion! Get decent socks though! :crazy:
Thanks I have been pinching my husbands new work socks lol! Was in 9-3 today we got out at 10 and was back for 3.
Shattered.
I'm currently trying out "1000 mile socks"...

My saturday was pretty busy, had 2 bags of packets & some mail to sort, got out the DO by 10:30, and back by 16:10 :-/
Hopefully a lighter day for Monday...
Try Bridgedale trekkers,fantastic socks,expensive but they last for ages
For we were soldiers once,and young