ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Picking the pace up?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

[quote="Barbel"Have you been doing the same round since you started or different rounds every day? Are you also claiming for going over?[/quote]Yes, I've been doing the same round since I started. It's a solo HCT walk. I am claiming o/t!
cweg wrote:You're doing prep every single morning? It should be ready for you to pull out and bundle up when you come in! Is there a list with which posty should be prepping what in your office? You're getting a raw deal mate. :no no
The majority of my stuff is prepped when I arrive at 9, just usually a tray of letters / bag of packets. But, yes, I should arrive to it all ready for me to bundle up, and get out the door by the back of 9.... :arrrghhh
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by terry2972 »

Hi Greengaint I am on my 9th week and like you am on a part time contract I think i have only started at 9 twice induction day and first day at DO the rest of the time its any time from 6 30 to 8 am so loads of prepping lol for the last 3 weeks been on same walk so getting to know the frame but when I get moved around its fun and games lol so grin and bear it its not a bad job
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

terry2972 wrote:Hi Greengaint I am on my 9th week and like you am on a part time contract I think i have only started at 9 twice induction day and first day at DO the rest of the time its any time from 6 30 to 8 am so loads of prepping lol for the last 3 weeks been on same walk so getting to know the frame but when I get moved around its fun and games lol so grin and bear it its not a bad job
I'd be more than happy to start at 6:45am and do my own prepping, at least I would then know it would all be done ready for me heading out to deliver! Contracted to work 9am till 3pm though! :dance
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by terry2972 »

I am contracted to work 0900hrs to 1430hrs but it doesnt seem to work out like that lol
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

terry2972 wrote:I am contracted to work 0900hrs to 1430hrs but it doesnt seem to work out like that lol
Just so long as you get paid for the extra hours! :dance
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by terry2972 »

I certainly do lol a bit slow sometimes a hour or two short each week but when pointed out it appears in the following weeks wage and I don't know about you but am averaging full time hours although probably will slow down with the summer but then Xmas will happen!/
paul1231
Posts: 112
Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by paul1231 »

This seems to be a common theme my official start time is 10am but every rounds supposed to be out by then but I have varying start times from 7 onwards however im working with a part timer and there's no prepping when we arrive and quite often the full timers who are in an hour or so earlier then us are already getting parcels out and we come in to an empty frame! did over 40hours last week(25hour contract)!. I do quite enjoy it but were basically last out and last back just about every day as you can imagine.
billy44
Posts: 29
Joined: 01 Nov 2013, 09:12
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by billy44 »

I'm a part timer,30 hrs with various starting times.
When I come in at the very best the sequenced mail is prepped in.
Everything else I am left to do.
Only been doing it just over 4 months and same as OP in that I want to keep my nose clean etc.
Just wondered if my frame should be fully prepped as a part timer ready for bundling up?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

billy44 wrote:I'm a part timer,30 hrs with various starting times.
When I come in at the very best the sequenced mail is prepped in.
Everything else I am left to do.
Only been doing it just over 4 months and same as OP in that I want to keep my nose clean etc.
Just wondered if my frame should be fully prepped as a part timer ready for bundling up?
it depends on what your work plan/outside element is. In my office most 30 hour PTs have to do a full prep.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by robbertwhitton »

god! all this talk of picking the pace up etc etc,making me tired and exhausted just thinking about it,as most people here say it takes as long as it takes,and doing the job properly will slow you down,so what? work your time and bring it back,dont bow down to the speed merchants,you will become ill,and worried and hate the job,its far from perfect,but has its pluses,and can be fun,if you let it.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

robbertwhitton wrote:god! all this talk of picking the pace up etc etc,making me tired and exhausted just thinking about it,as most people here say it takes as long as it takes,and doing the job properly will slow you down,so what? work your time and bring it back,dont bow down to the speed merchants,you will become ill,and worried and hate the job,its far from perfect,but has its pluses,and can be fun,if you let it.

I'm just concerned that if I bring stuff back, I'd get done for wilfull delay? :sad:
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by lollollol »

Correct - you are obliged to deliver everything you take out... notwithstanding exceptional circumstances... If you do wish to cut-off or not complete you should inform your DIM before you bundle up so he can make a decision on what you are to leave behind by looking at your frame... :wave
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Interestingly, when I came in at 9am this morning, I noticed that my route delivery span had changed from 9:15 - 14:30 to 11:25 - 16:45, which gives me a bit more time in the morning to deal with the sorting etc. Very busy today, wheens of packets, ended up back at 17:15, despite leaving the DO at 10:35! :shock:
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by lollollol »

The last letter is supposedly to be delivered by 3pm in the towns... seems strange to deliberately plan for a later delivery... would make sense to get you in earlier imo... :hmmmm
cweg
Posts: 80
Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by cweg »

That's almost 7 hours out on delivery! I feel for ya mate. How many bundles?