ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Quiet week?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Quiet week?

Post by krussel »

Have not finished before 12 noon in about 14 years. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by dblad »

AnotherLimey wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:You smashed your Wednesday record,,,this is the postman of the future guys ,,shakes my head
Actually you are right.
I think TNT operate a "best boy" scenario where the time taken by the quickest worker is the time allocated to the duty.
But that aside. If the original poster didn't have any more work, what is he supposed to do?

Do you go to work and do an honest days work for an honest days pay or do you hang it out to make it look like you are working?
No wonder they want to track us by our PDAs if that is how people behave.
Bring on the PDA tracking, nothing to hide here, in on time, break when scheduled, use the LWT on all loops and full use of both bags, no door stepping or other sillyness, i doubt the OP does all or most of the above, so to answer you question....he should do what i do and what every postman should do to protect what we have, no going slow or taking the piss, just doing the job as it's planned to be done.
Love it when I read stuff like this, I bet there's hardly any postie in the country that does it exactly as it should, or as RM say it should be done, because I would bet that you look at mail as your walking, or doing the odd short cut instead of going up every path as you should, even having earphones in is a no no, but if you are perfect and do it correctly I apologise, but if not you shouldn't be preaching to others.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by comeracing »

bustedflush wrote:Well, Tuesday finished walk at 11:40 including lapsing, beat my previous early finish (been postie 15 months) by 15 minutes. Today finished at 12:20, smashing my Weds. record by 35 minutes. No early start, but took break after delivery. DOM just let us go home afterwards, weren't sent out again.
I have noticed this before, when you get a nice weekend people aren't sitting inside ordering crap from feeBay etc. so the knock-on is a quiet week plus people away for Easter. Only 3 door-dustbins too after 7,6,7 in previous 3 weeks. I take it most of the rest have found it quiet too?
beat my previous early finish by 15 minutes you need treatment,this is why royal mail is failing because of stupid things like this,do you were running trainers as well :no no :no no :no no
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Quiet week?

Post by clashcityrocker »

I think some of you need to have a serious rethink.
I started on time.
I took my full 40 minute meal relief prior to departure.
I did 1/5th of my D2D. (extra due to BH)
I use my trolley. I scan everything with a barcode. I don't take any shortcuts.
I finished 1 hour early because THERE ISN'T ENOUGH WORK.

What do you do then?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
framusjsx
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by framusjsx »

been hammered this week, barely getting back on time the last 2 days.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

dblad wrote:
AnotherLimey wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:You smashed your Wednesday record,,,this is the postman of the future guys ,,shakes my head
Actually you are right.
I think TNT operate a "best boy" scenario where the time taken by the quickest worker is the time allocated to the duty.
But that aside. If the original poster didn't have any more work, what is he supposed to do?

Do you go to work and do an honest days work for an honest days pay or do you hang it out to make it look like you are working?
No wonder they want to track us by our PDAs if that is how people behave.
Bring on the PDA tracking, nothing to hide here, in on time, break when scheduled, use the LWT on all loops and full use of both bags, no door stepping or other sillyness, i doubt the OP does all or most of the above, so to answer you question....he should do what i do and what every postman should do to protect what we have, no going slow or taking the piss, just doing the job as it's planned to be done.
Love it when I read stuff like this, I bet there's hardly any postie in the country that does it exactly as it should, or as RM say it should be done, because I would bet that you look at mail as your walking, or doing the odd short cut instead of going up every path as you should, even having earphones in is a no no, but if you are perfect and do it correctly I apologise, but if not you shouldn't be preaching to others.
The real question here is, why are so many OPGs feeling the need to not do the job (especially outdoor) anything close to how it should be done?

Next there will be threads/posts about lapsing outside the summer holidays, time challenged walks being increased in size, more injuries at work etc. because OPGs feel the bizarre need to change how they are working against security and/or h&s policy and/or acting as charity volunteers (by starting early and/or not taking PAID breaks) to make walks appear doable within contract time... Oh hold on a minute, its already happening :whistle
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by gary1975 »

I think workload really does differ from office to office,I've worked in quite a few do's pre and post revision, my office now all they did was bolt two 3.5 hr duties together hence you have full timers on the best rounds away home by 12.30 and they are the biggest moaners about lapsing.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Quiet week?

Post by Darren Bent »

I believe it is better to work as a team in pair than 2 different postman working alone, and I think it save time. Since coming back on full time delivery in last two months, we finished faster than previous system and also less absorbing, and a postperson throw out two walks which make everyone leave earlier. I think it got the thumb up from me but I would prefer to start at 6am rather than 7am.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by bustedflush »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:You smashed your Wednesday record,,,this is the postman of the future guys ,,shakes my head
Actually you are right.
I think TNT operate a "best boy" scenario where the time taken by the quickest worker is the time allocated to the duty.
But that aside. If the original poster didn't have any more work, what is he supposed to do?

Do you go to work and do an honest days work for an honest days pay or do you hang it out to make it look like you are working?
No wonder they want to track us by our PDAs if that is how people behave.

Actually a very good answer, glad somebody understands, and quite right. On the way back to the DO, we passed another postie and stopped to have a quick chat. He must've told his colleague he'd seen us, because this colleague has my mobile no. from previous pairing - he rang me and asked "as you are done let me know if the DOM sends you out again, because we are now done and are wondering whether to go to a café or if it's 'safe' to go back?"

It was just ridiculously quiet, like a Friday in mid-June or something - for virtually all of us. As CCR says here, what were we supposed to do? Even if we took our 20 minutes before driving back we'd have still been 90 minutes early to leave the DO. We decided to be honest (unlike the colleague who rang me!!) and show our faces and see what happened. Nothing. We went home. And strangely enough (local mobile masts must've been red hot as word spread we weren't being sent out again) once we were heading home the vans coming back suddenly arrived in a procession in a very short timeframe.... :Very Happy :Very Happy

Seriously, we couldn't have done anything to avoid being early - we filled the van, pumped the tyres some even took theirs to the jetwash too. It was just one of those weeks, and I hope you people that have stated on this thread that you had a heavy week get a light one yourselves shortly.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Quiet week?

Post by krussel »

Its a tricky situation. On the one hand a posties law is to finish as early as possible. However in the current climate this will only lead to part time duties.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by bustedflush »

By the way, as a reserve I naturally tend to remember the 'easier' rounds and the 'quicker' people I'm paired with. It's not a case of being a closet obsessive and writing in my little book my finish times all year lol.......
BUT you do tend to remember extremes. Once when I finished with a quick bloke on a Friday at midday, it stood out as exceptional so I remembered it, just like remembering the Wednesday 'heavy' getting done by 13:00 once. Conversely, I also remember a 16:10 finish in May on a Monday when paired with somebody who had no idea how to do a semi-rural and complicated round (we had both never done it before) and it all went tits-up because we were walking bits that apparently were routinely done from the van and getting lost etc. I was fuming and couldn't believe I'd been dropped in the sh!t like that - so I remember it to this day as my worst day and my latest finish.

I guess my point it that I have never seen 3 days as quiet. And no, we didn't use the trolleys because the rounds in this pairing are split into about 10 or11 bags and for each of us and to carry 1-2kg (or one bundle) of mail in a HCT with no packets is frankly absurd as the single bundle would be in your hand anyway! I know we are supposed to use them but common-sense decrees with one bundle in a loop that you don't tow an empty HCT along for the hell of it! :roll:
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Quiet week?

Post by DB1100 »

We left a loop on Wednesday and got done on time,today we took it all and were 10 mins over,most weeks we have to leave stuff towards the end of the week,quite light on big packets tho and only 2 d2ds,I will be finishing on time Saturday come what may,I look forward to the day when we can have an easy day.
For we were soldiers once,and young
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Quiet week?

Post by bustedflush »

DB1100 wrote:We left a loop on Wednesday and got done on time,today we took it all and were 10 mins over,most weeks we have to leave stuff towards the end of the week,quite light on big packets tho and only 2 d2ds,I will be finishing on time Saturday come what may,I look forward to the day when we can have an easy day.
Well, from what you people have said, it seems this is a highly localised phenomenon and we just got lucky, apart from Clash who had a similar scenario.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Quiet week?

Post by Judgee »

Well going back to the original post which seems to have turned into a political "do your job properly" debate. I guess you sort of have your answer Busted, the work load varied across the board! :thumbup
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Quiet week?

Post by arnold cheshire »

bustedflush wrote:Well, Tuesday finished walk at 11:40 including lapsing, beat my previous early finish (been postie 15 months) by 15 minutes. Today finished at 12:20, smashing my Weds. record by 35 minutes. No early start, but took break after delivery. DOM just let us go home afterwards, weren't sent out again.
I have noticed this before, when you get a nice weekend people aren't sitting inside ordering crap from feeBay etc. so the knock-on is a quiet week plus people away for Easter. Only 3 door-dustbins too after 7,6,7 in previous 3 weeks. I take it most of the rest have found it quiet too?
mickey take ? :left: