
TWO valiant postal workers did not spare a second thought for their safety when they chased down a mugger and stopped him getting away with a lady’s handbag.
Martin Harris and Sharon O’Connor were driving along Benbow Street on their daily Stoke-Devonport postal round when they saw a man running off with a distressed woman giving chase.
“The man was running towards us and we could see he had something. As we were watching we could hear the woman shouting, He took my bag,” explained Mrs O’Connor, a 38-year-old mother of three.
“We looked at each other and I just put my foot down and went after him.
"I knew we could cut him off at the top of the lane if we were quick enough.”
Once the culprit had been cornered, Mr Harris, aged 49, decided to confront him.
“I jumped out of the van and asked him to give the bag back as politely as I could,” explained the Stoke resident.
“He hesitated so then I asked him again more forcibly and he threw it at me before he ran off.
“I took the bag down to the lady and she saw that no money had been taken and she was saying, Thank you so much.
“She was shaken up but she gave me a hug and was very happy.”
The police were called and the two Royal Mail workers aided officers by giving descriptions of the mugger.
Serial offender Daniel Hall, of Albert Road, Devonport, pleaded guilty to robbing the 42-year-old female victim on January 30.
Plymouth Crown Court heard how the woman had got off the bus and within a few moments Hall pounced, snatching her bag from over her shoulder.
The court was told he had been convicted 29 times. He was sentenced to eight-months in jail.
Mrs O’Connor, from Efford, said she and her colleague were “in the right place, at the right time.”
“We did not have time to think,” she added. “The adrenaline took over and we did not even confer to say, Shall we?
“It was purely, the right place at the right time that we were able to stop him.”
Mr Harris, who has been a postman for 12 years, said the duo had been on the end of some jovial teasing from colleagues.
“They have started calling us Batman and Robin at work and saying the crime rate is going to go down on our patch,” he joked.
“I just did not want this kind of person to get away with it.
"He has mugged some defenceless woman which is not the toughest thing to do.
“It is only afterwards that you think, well anything could have happened.”
The scum himself
