ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

looked down on for having a good work ethic

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
human1
Posts: 223
Joined: 04 Aug 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by human1 »

I come 40-50 minutes early, get out as soon as possible, no meal break, jump fences, cut cross and walk on lawn ( even get told off) leave troly at the end of street , put bag on my shoulder , put streets mail in it ( both side ) and put running shoes and run ... yes run ( this keep me healty and fit) and in the end of day I can make hour or two .... finish early and go home early... love it ...
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Do you study latin at the same time :hmmmm :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by chrisj »

yes run ( this keep me healty and fit) and in the end of day I can make hour or two .... finish early and go home early... love it ...
I can make an hour or two - sounds kinda weird. It is almost an American way of speak.

Anyway, 50 minutes early and make an hour or slightly more - not worth it; with all the running and the 'tongue in cheek' (I hope it is) of cutting corners like walking on grass etc.

You should be fit doing brisk walk over 1 hour or more and a healthy diet. Anymore, then you can do that at home or in the gym or take up a competitive sport.

I guess human1 has now changed into being deliberately controversial or funneh :funneh
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by eastie »

coming in 50 mins early to finish an hour early ??
Are you mad??
You are saving yourself 10 mins than if you worked your time
Whats the point in that and soon RM will add another 30 mins to your round
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Umm the clue was my posting
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Do you study latin at the same time :hmmmm :chuckle
I hope he is using:

Reductio ad absurdum is the technique of reducing an argument or hypothesis to absurdity, by pushing the argument's premises or conclusions to their logical limits and showing how ridiculous the consequences would be, thus disproving or discrediting the argument.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by steve1873 »

eastie wrote:coming in 50 mins early to finish an hour early ??
Are you mad??
You are saving yourself 10 mins than if you worked your time
Whats the point in that and soon RM will add another 30 mins to your round
Actually it is worse than that - he says he doesn't take his meal relief! So he comes in 50 mins early, finishes an hour early and without a meal relief is actually working more hours than contracted to! Without being paid for the extra work. A real hero! :rollseyes:
mailman71
Posts: 500
Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 08:03

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by mailman71 »

Every postperson should have targets on delivery mine is simple to finish in front of the snail that follows me round
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by fishtank »

trevjim wrote:however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker
Who says you're a good worker?
You?
You're only a bum on a seat to management so your "efforts" are a pointless waste of time. Knock yourself out kid and when you need something back off the business you'll see exactly what you're worth to them.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by 2pints »

The trouble is,your obviously better than anyone/everyone else at your office so i would not even bother with them as you are far too superior to worry about them.
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by newtimes »

Live to your own standards, everyone is different, I have my own work ethic, to me is right to others it may be wrong.
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by raikky »

I dont care for the ppl who rush around anymore. As long as they keep it up durinv the summer and take my collapsing im happy. We have a few keen posties which I thank them as ive not done any collpsing for 2 years. So keep it up lads.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by spiderj »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Umm the clue was my posting
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Do you study latin at the same time :hmmmm :chuckle
I hope he is using:

Reductio ad absurdum is the technique of reducing an argument or hypothesis to absurdity, by pushing the argument's premises or conclusions to their logical limits and showing how ridiculous the consequences would be, thus disproving or discrediting the argument.
I wish he had studies grammar insteed
:thumbup
I won
LinChong
Posts: 229
Joined: 27 Sep 2012, 09:07
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by LinChong »

trevjim wrote:Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.

I was always bought up to work hard and honest, and in doing so, gain the respect of those around you, however in royal mail, it seems if you work hard, you are the devil.

Ive had P/L partners telling me to slow down and if we have any left because of going slow, then that's the managements problem.

Don't get me wrong, I dont run, I dont lick ass, I just come in, get my head down, work hard for my shift, then go home, however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker
You still believe in what you were encouraged to believe in at school and you have been encouraged to believe this by media and 'meathead managers' Leighton and Crozier brought in who all follow the cult of the 'self-made' person but claim they are 'working class' because they have regional accents, shaved heads and can afford overpriced tickets to football matches (the actual definition of 'working class' is someone who doesn't manage others and has no desire to manage others). Consequently you have grown up to be what is technically termed a 'mug'.

Our education system works on the idea that if you work hard and get top grades, you will get into a high status university and get rewarded with a job others will not have access to. Work for most people in the UK is not like this. The harder you work, the more you will be exploited because promotion is done by politics. If you want to become a manager your best chance is to have a relative who is already a manager. Failing that, shave your head and convince your bosses you are one of them by exaggerating your accent (so long as it's regional), spouting off about how you have worked hard for everything you got (don't mention any windfalls from right-to-buy or inheritance etc), talking shite about football and agreeing with everything in the Daily Mail.

If you work too hard, you will not get extra pay, promotion or salvation, you will just allow management to take hours out of your office.

Drink the coffee. :funneh
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by meercat »

trevjim wrote:Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.
Don't get me wrong, I dont run
Sorry but I don't believe that you are doing your delivery safely. Quickly yes but not safely.

If you are walking very fast with a heavy bag on your shoulder which I suspect you are you have a whole world of pain awaiting you one day. Our office has many 'runners' (most now working indoors) who used to rush around with heavy bags but are now permanently hobbling around with damaged knees or ankles. That is what happens to you after years of rushing about. And who picks up the bill? Royal Mail. Most of these idiots get Ill-health retirement payouts and all that for their own stupidity. It costs the company a fortune in long-term sick pay and Ill-health payouts. You are not doing the company any favours at all - you people drain the company of funds at the end of the day. And you drain the country with your incapacity benefit claims too.

You should be sacked for delivering unsafely.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: looked down on for having a good work ethic

Post by Lounge Lizard »

trevjim wrote:Ive found that, myself and a few others are 'bitched' about because we are good at our job :d'oh!

I can get round the rounds quickly and efficiently, and this seems to annoy some.

I was always bought up to work hard and honest, and in doing so, gain the respect of those around you, however in royal mail, it seems if you work hard, you are the devil.

Ive had P/L partners telling me to slow down and if we have any left because of going slow, then that's the managements problem.

Don't get me wrong, I dont run, I dont lick ass, I just come in, get my head down, work hard for my shift, then go home, however it seems to piss a few off that im a good worker
If you're young then working "quickly and efficiently" could be resented by someone three times your age who would accept a brisk pace from a colleague but not a 'quick' pace. :shock:
Worse is being 'bitched about' for doing the job properly, i.e. not doorstepping, not cutting across lawns etc. :sad: