ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Struggling to fit in

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by krussel »

Lee Best wrote:Hi.

I started working for Royal mail as a postman about 7 months ago. The job is ok but im struggling to fit in with people at my office.
Ive found people not to be that friendly to new starters. Look down on them a bit
Also quite bitchy etc.

Anyone else had this problem? Did you when you started?
Normally i fit in quite well to new places but not really where i am.

This goes back to when people would leave within the first few weeks. The result was other than hello and morning you tended to see if they would leave before really chatting, so many would go.

Its not right of course but the culture is still there. Hang in and chat to people, ask advice etc.

You know when you have made it when you get branded a nickname. I ve had mine 25 years now. :roll:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
foxyjarvis
Posts: 51
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 22:53
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by foxyjarvis »

Rejoice in the the fact that you don't, I do.
paulf0203
Posts: 121
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by paulf0203 »

Lee Best wrote:Hi.

I started working for Royal mail as a postman about 7 months ago. The job is ok but im struggling to fit in with people at my office.
Ive found people not to be that friendly to new starters. Look down on them a bit
Also quite bitchy etc.

Anyone else had this problem? Did you when you started?
Normally i fit in quite well to new places but not really where i am.
Me too I've been a postie now for 4 months and I am very cheerful and respectful to my work colleagues and always say good morning when I come in but I have just not been accepted into their cliques (thank god) maybe they realise that I don't talk about people behind their backs maybe it's a cultural thing or maybe Londoners are not accepted in the sticks. I just knuckle down and get on with the job.
star2010
Posts: 130
Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by star2010 »

mate i know what your saying and i felt the same, but trust me If people dont want to talk to me i just look straight through them no bullshit , couldn't give a s**t if they been there 20, 30 years. :wave
zooom
Posts: 13
Joined: 09 May 2013, 15:43
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by zooom »

I wouldn't worry about it. Thirty minutes of reading through some of the posts and the replies on here tells you all you need to know about the kind of people that work for Royal Mail. I think in 18+ years in Royal Mail I can honestly say I have met no more than a dozen people who I would consider worth getting to know.

It is the most vile, spiteful, toxic working environment I have ever encountered.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by krussel »

zooom wrote:It is the most vile, spiteful, toxic working environment I have ever encountered.
Christ don't hold back, say it how you feel :left:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by arnold cheshire »

krussel wrote:
zooom wrote:It is the most vile, spiteful, toxic working environment I have ever encountered.
Christ don't hold back, say it how you feel :left:
they are right
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by postiewhite »

Trouble with my office is thats a bit clicky. Understandable as nearly everyone has been working together for years so they all know each others business.
stephenb19578
Posts: 52
Joined: 27 Nov 2012, 22:35
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by stephenb19578 »

I have been on deliveries since 1978,the big change came with one delivery,before then you may have had an hour and a half at the most indoors then out, now it can be three hours or more so relationships had to change. Maybe ive been lucky at the two offices i've worked in,one in liverpool and one in london but i have found it a great place to work. It can be difficult when a new person starts but i have always found that, providing the newcomer agrees beforehand,then introducing them to the staff at a meeting always helps, a good rep can always help put people at ease.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by wiganpostie »

There's a huge amount of snide, back-stabbing character assassination in our office these days (usually co-inciding with the victim's day off), and I have no doubt it correlates to how s**t the job has become. Grimaces everywhere, and everywhere is grim.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by dvbuk55 »

krussel wrote:You know when you have made it when you get branded a nickname. I ve had mine 25 years now. :roll:
Well lets be honest though Kruss, who'd want to be called that for 25 years? :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
goodie
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Feb 2014, 15:06
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by goodie »

i've worked in collections at huddersfield for the last 2 months and have found everybody very welcoming, not had much trouble fitting in at all seem a good set of lads and lasses to me, everywhere has its cliques just be yourself i say, worked at a lot worse places than royal mail tbh.
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Struggling to fit in

Post by freelunch »

Lee Best wrote:I started working for Royal mail as a postman about 7 months ago. The job is ok but im struggling to fit in with people at my office.
It's when you feel you do fit in - that's the time you need to be very concerned :shock:
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson