ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

So fed-up

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mdm
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 209
Joined: 17 Mar 2010, 15:44
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by mdm »

Jesus, easier walk just because you're a woman, sexist much!!!! I'm 54 and I'd love an easier walk but it's not going to happen so I just get on with it! :so there
dazzer79
Posts: 25
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 13:08

Re: So fed-up

Post by dazzer79 »

norm wrote:
amco37 wrote:
norm wrote:
amco37 wrote:The problem is the walk I am currently on is too much because (a) it's far too long and (b) the guy I work with is slow due to his back trouble.
If you can't complete, inform your manager a couple hours before your duty end and tell him you are cutting off. You are not obligated to do OT. If you keep doing this he will take action that you are seeking, either taking loops off you or whatever.
So easy ;) put the ball back into the managers court .......start on time ...finish on time....use trolley ....don't read letters as u walk....use dog pegs ,don't wear head phones ,takes breaks,work from back of vans,do van checks before you go out ......it's so easy to screw them to the floor boards .....they make the RULES not you .....break off and enjoy the summer sunshine ;)
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: So fed-up

Post by amco37 »

norm wrote:
amco37 wrote:
norm wrote:
amco37 wrote:The problem is the walk I am currently on is too much because (a) it's far too long and (b) the guy I work with is slow due to his back trouble.
If you can't complete, inform your manager a couple hours before your duty end and tell him you are cutting off. You are not obligated to do OT. If you keep doing this he will take action that you are seeking, either taking loops off you or whatever.
Ok, cutting off it is then. I will give it a go tomorrow! It's going to be hard though because the guy I work with will have to do it. We usually do my walk first - that only takes 1hour 30 minutes to 2 hours. His walk is the big one and he is too scared to leave any of it behind! So where do I stand if he won't do it? He can't drive either and there's a shortage of drivers (I know, not my problem).
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: So fed-up

Post by amco37 »

mdm wrote:Jesus, easier walk just because you're a woman, sexist much!!!! I'm 54 and I'd love an easier walk but it's not going to happen so I just get on with it! :so there
There are easy walks, medium walks and hard walks. People have different abilities. Take the woman thing and the age thing out of the equation then and match folk up to walks according to their abilities. What on earth is wrong with that?
mdm
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 209
Joined: 17 Mar 2010, 15:44
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by mdm »

Because you said women should be on easier walks! You just made a blanket statement about it that's all!! But I basically agree with you, its just that such a sensible idea will be lost on the hierarchy.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by datasaint »

In my office we normally discuss with the managers before we go out if there's a likelihood we won't complete, and they take the the big packets off us. So try that first. Then phone later if you're not going to complete.

If your partner wants to continue working, you are within your rights to drive back to office, and he can then start his OT from there (not being a driver sort of prohibits that though) probably why your management are keen to keep you out there .. :nervous
Killersurfbunny
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 17:34
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by Killersurfbunny »

amco37 wrote:
Ok, cutting off it is then. I will give it a go tomorrow! It's going to be hard though because the guy I work with will have to do it. We usually do my walk first - that only takes 1hour 30 minutes to 2 hours. His walk is the big one and he is too scared to leave any of it behind! So where do I stand if he won't do it? He can't drive either and there's a shortage of drivers (I know, not my problem).
It's been said many times on this forum, they cannot compel you to work past your scheduled finish time, as long as you follow the correct 'cut off' procedure, you're covered, the guy you're working with doesn't 'have' to do O/T either. At your last letter delivery time, drive yourselves back to the office then let him/them sort themselves out, then go home and put your feet up. :cuppa
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: So fed-up

Post by Judgee »

"I am a 30 something year old woman and I'm doing the bits that a 20 something year old male boxer used to do!!!! How is this equality?"

Erm isn't that equality, treating you the same? :hmmmm

As for the walks being even, if you have had a revision recently they are probably more uneven than they have ever been before. They will get around to making them more even, they'll all be the size of the largest walks and then all your workmates will struggle the same as you and harmony can reign once more! :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: So fed-up

Post by Caniel »

Speak to your union rep, if you don't have one in your office then find a colleague in your office to witness you telling this manager that you are working to your time and will be cutting off. Ideally get someone who is an old hand that doesn't take s**t and that knows what the cut off procedure is.

Lean on your colleagues for help! For example a lot of guys in my office can be plonkers but you'd be hard pressed to find one that wouldn't help a person out that was struggling with the situation you're in if they were approached, just ask :)
edo4442
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 12:59

Re: So fed-up

Post by edo4442 »

This is all good advice, and I know your pain.

However in our office, its not so simple.

When we tell management we are working to our time before we go out, we get prep tested etc, and instructed not to bring mail back, or we will get done for wilful delay, and this is coming from a sector manager.

And two guys were done, and give a 2 year suspended dismissal for it.

:-(
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: So fed-up

Post by spiderj »

edo4442 wrote:This is all good advice, and I know your pain.

However in our office, its not so simple.

When we tell management we are working to our time before we go out, we get prep tested etc, and instructed not to bring mail back, or we will get done for wilful delay, and this is coming from a sector manager.

And two guys were done, and give a 2 year suspended dismissal for it.

:-(
And they wonder why we decline overtime?
:hmmmm
I won
gand
Posts: 253
Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by gand »

edo4442 wrote:This is all good advice, and I know your pain.

However in our office, its not so simple.

When we tell management we are working to our time before we go out, we get prep tested etc, and instructed not to bring mail back, or we will get done for wilful delay, and this is coming from a sector manager.

And two guys were done, and give a 2 year suspended dismissal for it.

:-(
If they done everything under 3.1-3.2 how could they have been suspended?
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: So fed-up

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

gand wrote:
edo4442 wrote:This is all good advice, and I know your pain.

However in our office, its not so simple.

When we tell management we are working to our time before we go out, we get prep tested etc, and instructed not to bring mail back, or we will get done for wilful delay, and this is coming from a sector manager.

And two guys were done, and give a 2 year suspended dismissal for it.

:-(
If they done everything under 3.1-3.2 how could they have been suspended?
Maybe the manager will deny it?
Get the Rep, another witness, when you tell them.

In my office, they always say to ring them when you have an hour to go before finishing so they 'can make arrangements to cover what you are leaving'.
What they actually mean is, ring so they can bully you into completing without any possible witnesses.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
thechemisyshop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Oct 2011, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by thechemisyshop »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:In my office, they always say to ring them when you have an hour to go before finishing so they 'can make arrangements to cover what you are leaving'.
What they actually mean is, ring so they can bully you into completing without any possible witnesses.
you actually have a manager in your office at that time ,, we cant get anyone after 1o'clock as soon as the callers shut they dont answer the phone
cjo1964
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Apr 2014, 16:51
Gender: Male

Re: So fed-up

Post by cjo1964 »

If he is singling you out then I would have a word with your local CWU rep and tell him.
Bullying and harassment is not tolerated in this company and it may be you have a case for it.
If you are doing your job to the best of your ability and being harassed it has to stop.
Good luck.