http://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/l ... -1-5977347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Banbury postman who stole cash from an account used by a blind man to pay for a support worker was jailed for ten months at Oxford Crown Court on Tuesday.
Damon Alvey, 45, of Thame, had previously pleaded guilty to one count of theft of a mail bag and four counts of fraud.
Timothy Boswell, prosecuting, told the court Alvey, who worked for the Royal Mail in Oxford, moved to Banbury for a job at the sorting office in Merton Street in June 2013.
While there he “deliberately targeted” mail he thought contained bank cards and pin numbers. He stole these items of mail then used them to target the bank accounts of two victims to withdraw cash.
Mr Boswell described how Darren Blythe, who is registered blind, had £3,133 stolen from two accounts between August and October 2013, one of which was for personal banking and the other a council funded account used to pay for Mr Blythe’s support worker and recreational activities.
Alvey left the second account containing just £1.
Mr Boswell said: “I accept Mr Alvey wouldn’t have known that the victim was blind, but nevertheless he is someone who can be classed as a vulnerable victim and indeed Mr Blythe described his concern that this would impact on his life and his interests.”
A second victim was alerted to the fraud when she noticed a bank account she had recently opened, but not used, was near to its £1,000 overdraft limit after Mr Alvey had withdrawn £1,120 in five separate transactions.
The court heard when police raided Alvey’s house they found a “significant amount” of mail belonging to 15 victims as well as an amount of mail that had been shredded.
Timothy Greaves, defending, said: “The defendant is fully aware of how serious these offences are.
“It would be hard for me to argue that it’s not a breach of trust both to the employers and the customers.”
He said Alvey was a “hard working man” who had worked for the Royal Mail for three and a half years with no concerns over him being a trustworthy employee. But at the time of the offences was in a “bad place” and had fallen into debt and a drinking habit after the break up of a volatile relationship.
Sentencing Alvey, Judge Pringle said: “I give you the fullest credit for the fact that you placed a guilty plea at the first opportunity, but I would be utterly failing in my duty if I was not to pass an immediate prison sentence today.”
Following the sentencing Mr Blythe, 34, who lives with his mother Sue Blythe in Bretch Hill, Banbury, said: “When mum told me both bank accounts had been wiped out I couldn’t believe it.
“I wish he’d got a bigger sentence because of what he’s done to people who are all going through hard times financially. Everybody, not just him.”
Mr Blythe’s mother Sue added: “I’m pleased he got the sentence because the police seemed unsure he would be convicted. When is enough enough? He has gone to prison and it sends out the message that you can’t get away with this kind of thing.”
Both victims have been fully compensated by the banks concerned.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thieving postman jailed for ten months
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Thieving postman jailed for ten months
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female
Re: Thieving postman jailed for ten months
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Thieving postman jailed for ten months
Bollocks.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Mr Boswell said: “I accept Mr Alvey wouldn’t have known that the victim was blind, but nevertheless he is someone who can be classed as a vulnerable victim and indeed Mr Blythe described his concern that this would impact on his life and his interests.”
When you have a blind customer on your route, you know. (Unless you only cover the walk for a week, then maybe not).
All the mail they get is a give away.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Thieving postman jailed for ten months
stokes11eg wrote:Should have got 5 years.
Yup that would seem more appropriate. But so many of these tossers get away scott free, so I'm glad that he'll at least do some time inside for this!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Thieving postman jailed for ten months
F---- ell How low can You get?
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: Thieving postman jailed for ten months
....... and strung up by the bollocksstokes11eg wrote:Should have got 5 years.
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "