TBT is correct and in any case you're assuming I want or need another job. That said I know plenty of former colleagues who have gone on to have successful careers elsewhere. That seems to be the way of the world now. I am probably in the last generation that looked at a job for life in a single organisation. So many of my younger colleagues don't intend to stay with any company for more than a maximum of 5 years.dvbuk55 wrote:Well it might not. Being a manager at RM is not quite the stairway to success because the business has quite a narrow base of experience to take somewhere else. I once remember one manager saying how RM managers were a prize asset outside RM and were being "head hunted", he did retire on ill health though.Brain Fury wrote:I have absolutely no involvement in WCM but I am absolutely sure that I am "in the firing line". As it happens that suits me down to the ground.dvbuk55 wrote:Looking like it's squeaky bum time for Brain, could he be in the firing line or is he too important for the bullet. I think he's wrong about WCM because you don't need coloured charts and those intellectually challenged with crayons to improve efficiency: what you need is commitment and a really efficient work plan and RM has neither despite the hail fellow well met with the Union.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
TNT in Liverpool
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72765
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: TNT in Liverpool
I would have thought it would be Serbian Communists in your caseclashcityrocker wrote:I've still got French property and Christians make better lovers.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
We can't control what appears on the Adverts its down to your cookies and what the discussion on the page is about. This one is TNT so the adverts are for TNT.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
Are you sure that he wasn't sectioned under the mental health act?dvbuk55 wrote: - - - I once remember one manager saying how RM managers were a prize asset outside RM and were being "head hunted", he did retire on ill health though.
RM managers have very few transferable skills.
A friend of mine works for an employment agency specialising in recruitment for logistics and distribution
and reckons our lot are largely unemployable.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
Although if Burger King or Macdonalds were expanding, who knows.................of course many managers believe they actually manage rather than follow a diktat from on high. I think RM have finally realised they have a tier of management they don't need.Straight4ward wrote:Are you sure that he wasn't sectioned under the mental health act?dvbuk55 wrote: - - - I once remember one manager saying how RM managers were a prize asset outside RM and were being "head hunted", he did retire on ill health though.
RM managers have very few transferable skills.
A friend of mine works for an employment agency specialising in recruitment for logistics and distribution
and reckons our lot are largely unemployable.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
Erm would there be any objection to starting a dating discussion - maybe we would get lucky, and when I say we I really mean me - have at it TBT I'll follow your lead.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Adblock will stop you seeing the offensive crap especially as you are on Fire-fox -haveagojoe wrote:I don,t thinkit helps having a massive advertisment banner on the bottom and sometimes top for TNT on this site!!!!!!!!!!
We can't control what appears on the Adverts its down to your cookies and what the discussion on the page is about. This one is TNT so the adverts are for TNT.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
Have you got the exact wording of the Courier newsflash?clashcityrocker wrote:yes. did you not see the courier newsflash.daveyeff wrote:
Perhaps I've misunderstood so just to be clear, are you saying that the 1300 job cuts and specifically the CWU grades affected are those involved in WCM?
I read it but your understanding of the content is completely different to mine.[/quote]
what is your understanding? the dom and rep said it was a clearout of the world class mail lot. so i read it and thats my interpretation as well. i dont know how to post it on here so i'll copy it word for word. then anyone who believes they know EXACTLY what it means can maybe post it in laymans terms. CONTINUED EFFICIENY PROGRAMME. what is happening? ..we need to continuously improve our efficiency whilst maintaining our high quality of service...its the best way to ensure the continued delivery of the universal service and the good quality of jobs we provide...we are beginning a formal consultation with unite and cwu on a proposal to reduce roles by approximately 1600. we expect to create around 300 new or enhanced roles, meaning the net impact will be around 1300 roles....the vast majority of impacted employees are in our managerial population. some cwu roles will be impacted in support and administration functions...there is no impact of this initiative on frontline employees including postmen and women or the services we provide our customers.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'll copy the ''next steps later,,,im having me tea. (that bits not on it
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
Have you got the exact wording of the Courier newsflash?clashcityrocker wrote:yes. did you not see the courier newsflash.daveyeff wrote:
Perhaps I've misunderstood so just to be clear, are you saying that the 1300 job cuts and specifically the CWU grades affected are those involved in WCM?
I read it but your understanding of the content is completely different to mine.[/quote]
If you are referring to a hardcopy document then no, I haven't seen it. I would be interested to know what it said in order to understand why we have such widely differing views about what the "Continued Efficiency programme" is all about and why you think it relates to WCM
However, I do get a daily Courier by e-mail and received a personal briefing document at 7.00 on Tuesday morning. I am looking at both now and extracting just a couple of quotes ...
"The vast majority of those impacted will be across our managerial population. Some CWU roles will be impacted in our support and administrative functions. Frontline employees, including our postmen and women, are not affected by this initiative" ... "All colleagues who may be impacted will be briefed today as part of a Group-wide cascade".
All of those affected (including me) are in non-operational roles and as you can see the associated CWU jobs affected will be what we once called "clerical" jobs.
The reason I am so sure that WCM will not disappear or even be cut back is that at recent managers "Ops & Modernisation" conference, Sue Whalley was specifically asked about WCM (it not being an unreasonable question nows that Higson has gone) and she was categoric about it's place in the future. It is one of the ways that RM expects to drive efficiency.
Efficiency was also talked about a lot at the conference and it was made clear that because we could not continue to put up our prices, the future would be about cost reduction. It was pretty clear that some form of restructuring on the way pretty soon so the announcement on Tuesday wasn't a surprise.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
well as i said continued efficiency programme is wcm.
-
Budfrog
- Posts: 893
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19
Re: TNT in Liverpool
There is no guarantee that any of the 1600 threatened with redundancy will pick up any of the new 300 jobs being created. As for WCM ... they won't hit it that hard as there are too many Graduates on the project .. and RM have a love affair with Graduates
Ofcom won't do anything to control TNT's cherry picking until RM's cost base is closer to the competition ... sadly whilst they consider QofS I don't think that it is a strong enough driver when it comes to them putting measures in place that allow fair competition. With Amazon buying a share of Yodel RM need to re-assess their business model PDQ after all we don't want all of these new state of the art packet sorting machines with no traffic to process (in the same way that they screwed the planning of CSS with volumes that simply didn't exist)
Last edited by Budfrog on 28 Mar 2014, 17:08, edited 3 times in total.
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
Sorry I still don't understand. People keep saying that the Courier Newsflash says that The Continued Efficiency Programme is about WCM but where in what you quoted does it refer to WCM?daveyeff wrote:well as i said continued efficiency programme is wcm.
WCM is a system for continual improvement
The "Continued Efficiency Programme" is the name RM has chosen to give to the exercise to get rid of 1600 jobs.
Just because they both have the word continue associated with them doesn't make them the same thing.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
well,,,we,ll see.
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
No guarantee but I'd be surprised if in the main they didn't. Unless they are particularly specialist RM will have a job getting rid of 1600 existing staff at the same time as recruiting 300 people from outside.Budfrog wrote:There is no guarantee that any of the 1600 threatened with redundancy will pick up any of the new 300 jobs being created. As for WCM ... they won't hit it that hard as there are too many Graduates on the projectOfcom won't do anything to control TNT's cherry picking until RM's cost base is closer to the competition ... sadly whilst they consider QofS I don't think that it is a strong enough driver when it comes to them putting measures in place that allow fair competition. With Amazon buying a share of Yodel RM need to re-assess their business model PDQ after all we don't want all of these new state of the art packet sorting machines with no traffic to process (in the same way that they screwed the planning of CSS with volumes that simply didn't exist)
I may be wrong but my feeling is that the hard-nosed attitude of Ofcom and Amazon's own growth strategy caught RM by surprise.
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
Is that it? After typing out all that from the Courier Newsflash to prove your point?daveyeff wrote:well,,,we,ll see.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: TNT in Liverpool
is WCM mentioned more than once in this months courier?.....its normally rammed down our throats.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16726
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: TNT in Liverpool
There is a separate sheet all about it.daveyeff wrote:is WCM mentioned more than once in this months courier?.....its normally rammed down our throats.
I don't think ay of the 1300 job losses will be to do with WCM.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.