How many people on here have been working their day off during this strike period? I was hoping the union was going to encourage folk not to do it during this time. Ok I have been told that you are £8 better off if you do it. So what!! Its defeating the purpose of the strike. We are helping them out when really we should be leaving them to suffer. If every postie took their day off the offices would be in meltdown as it is us posties who bail them out all the time....
cheers....
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Working your day off during the strike period
-
takeyourbreak
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 16:16
-
Beforenineoclockgoodone
- Posts: 186
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 12:23
- Location: Cheshire
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72744
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Its a difficult one though. First I'll state I do not work my days off but I can see 2 good reasons for people to do it.
1. Its harder for the waiverers to claim they cant afford to strike if they work their normal amount of hours.
2. Its more expensive for Royal Mail as I think they pay you OT for it.
If it keeps the waiverers from crossing the picket line on the actual days of the strike I dont have a problem withit, and I certainly dont have a problem if its more expensive for Royal Mail it helps to show how much goodwill they have thrown away.
1. Its harder for the waiverers to claim they cant afford to strike if they work their normal amount of hours.
2. Its more expensive for Royal Mail as I think they pay you OT for it.
If it keeps the waiverers from crossing the picket line on the actual days of the strike I dont have a problem withit, and I certainly dont have a problem if its more expensive for Royal Mail it helps to show how much goodwill they have thrown away.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
takeyourbreak
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 16:16
-
pickaname
- Posts: 1467
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 20:24
-
Beforenineoclockgoodone
- Posts: 186
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 12:23
- Location: Cheshire
Royal Mail turn a blind eye to us doing our job properly, not by us doing it wrong by cutting corners, but if we actually did it the Royal Mail way, then nothing would ever get done, the only way it gets done now is because we all use a little common sense on our own deliveries to get the job done quicker & convenient for us. JOB & FINISH!
Job & finish
-
jackdaw
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 08:29
- Location: South Wales
It was always my opinion that we should've started this dispute with a work to rule and an overtime ban. This would have shown Royal Mail just how much goodwill they get from us and would have proved that we needed more not less postmen. But we have dug our own graves and now need to strike as well but I honestly believe we have to WTR and ban overtime as well to force home our point.
-
mailjock
- ROYAL MAIL CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Posts: 100
- Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 16:23
Working Days Off
There are arguments both ways as to whether this should be done or not.
Personally I believe that the more support we have for the rolling programme the better as that is the way we are going to win this strike by slowly choking the network. Only when the network collapses will this management have meaningful negotiations.
We all took a hard hit with the first four days and quite honestly if people get the opportunity to make up a rolling days strike pay by working their day off then that's fine by me as we achieve our objective with no loss of pay and possibly only delay tthe inevitable network collapse by a week.
But people working extra o/t beyond taking them back to their basic hours to clear backlogs then I think that is stupidity and should never be acceptable.
Personally I believe that the more support we have for the rolling programme the better as that is the way we are going to win this strike by slowly choking the network. Only when the network collapses will this management have meaningful negotiations.
We all took a hard hit with the first four days and quite honestly if people get the opportunity to make up a rolling days strike pay by working their day off then that's fine by me as we achieve our objective with no loss of pay and possibly only delay tthe inevitable network collapse by a week.
But people working extra o/t beyond taking them back to their basic hours to clear backlogs then I think that is stupidity and should never be acceptable.
-
padraig1965
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 12:07
Working Day Off
I have never worked it not going to start now as for overtime they can shove it.

Bonnie Scotland