http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-n ... ey-6850991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman was punched in the head and dragged from his van during an attack in Frimley Green on Monday (March 17).
The victim, aged in his late 60s, was left with cuts and bruises following the incident in St Catherine's Road at around 2pm, when he was coming towards the end of his round.
He was sitting in his vehicle when the passenger of a white van, which had pulled up alongside him, got out and punched him in the head before dragging him out and then driving off in the Royal Mail vehicle.
Detective Constable Fiona Johnson said: "This was a violent attack on a man who was simply trying to do his job.
"Although his injuries are not believed to be serious, the ordeal has left this man extremely shaken and distressed.
"The suspects have gone to great lengths to take the van and although it did contain some Royal Mail post, there would not have been much left as the victim was near the end of his round.
"Members of the public did witness the incident, and although we have spoken to a number of these, we are appealing to anyone else who saw what happened or has any other information which could help us trace the offenders to come forward as a matter of urgency.”
Royal Mail spokesperson Val Bodden said the postman suffered facial injuries and added that the company's own inquiries were continuing.
The victim has now left hospital, and Ms Bodden said: "He was not seriously injured, but he was badly shaken up and is still not well enough to return to work.
"The van is still missing and we would appeal to anyone with information to contact the police.
"There were about 20 items of mail left on the van at the time, for the remainder of his route in Old Guildford Road.
"We apologise to customers and would ask them to contact Royal Mail customer services on 08457 740740 for any further information about their mail.”
The suspect was described as a white man, in his 20s, of short stocky build, with mousy brown hair and wearing a florescent jacket.
The van was a white, short wheelbase, low-top Ford Transit which may have previously been sign-written with a faded logo of a triangle with the top cut off on the rear doors.
The postman's van, which has not yet been recovered, was a silver Thrifty Ford Connect hire van registered GY12 WNN.
Anyone with information is asked to call Surrey Police on 101 quoting reference 45140020861, or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman punched and dragged from vehicle in carjacking
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman punched and dragged from vehicle in carjacking
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman punched and dragged from vehicle in carjacking
???TrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-n ... ey-6850991
The victim, aged in his late 60s
Hope he gets over it ok. I was held up on a collection round and it does affect you badly.
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman punched and dragged from vehicle in carjacking
Ah, so Frimley Green, not Camberley (which is very close to FG). A nasty experience and not one I would want to go through.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Postman punched and dragged from vehicle in carjacking
Hope the chap is OK.
Wish him a swift recovery.
It's very wrong. I'm sure the violence was completely unnecessary.
I know if someone threatened me, they could have the bloody van.
I wouldn't be risking my health and well being for the sake of a van and 20 items of mail.
Wish him a swift recovery.
It's very wrong. I'm sure the violence was completely unnecessary.
I know if someone threatened me, they could have the bloody van.
I wouldn't be risking my health and well being for the sake of a van and 20 items of mail.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.