http://www.carmarthenjournal.co.uk/Post ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTWOMAN is preparing to walk the Great Wall of China in order to raise money for a Carmarthenshire cancer charity.
Cheryl Pugh-Jones from Llanarthne is raising money for Lung Cancer Campaign Carmarthenshire by walking the largest manmade structure in the world.
Mrs Pugh-Jones says the experience of being a postwoman will help her as she walks along the world famous relic.
She said: "I am getting enough practice. I walk 11,000 steps around Llangadog every day."
Mrs Pugh-Jones's father died of lung cancer and with her 50th birthday approaching she wanted to do something unforgettable to raise money for a charity close to her heart.
Many doctors and nurses involved with Lung Cancer Campaign Carmarthenshire, based in Glangwili Hospital, helped with Mrs Pugh-Jones's father's treatment and care, and she feels it is a charity deserving of some support.
She said: "My father passed away three years ago and it's my big birthday this year, so I wanted to do something."
Mrs Pugh-Jones will be travelling as part of a group, but she will be the only Welsh person taking part.
She said: "I am going to be there for 12 days and I think we are aiming for between 12 and 20 miles a day."
More than £1,000 has already been raised, including gift aid, but Mrs Pugh-Jones is eager to raise more before she gets started in April.
She said: "I am looking forward. It is something I am never going to do again."
She added: "I have already paid for the trip out of my own money, and any money donated will not be used to pay for the trip. It is all going to the charity."
The Great Wall of China was build over several centuries, with the earliest walls constructed in the seventh century BC. Its purpose was to keep invading Mongols and other armies out of China.
The wall, including branches and many parts which are now derelict, is more than 13,000 miles long.
Before Mrs Pugh-Jones leaves for China she will have a coffee morning in Llanarthne Village Hall to raise money for the charity.
The coffee morning will take place on March 29, starting at 12.30pm.
To donate to Mrs Pugh-Jones's fund, visit http://uk.virginmoney" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; giving.com/cherylpjones
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postie taking steps towards China trek
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postie taking steps towards China trek
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.