Post box closed by Royal Mail chiefs - because dogs keep weeing on it
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/po ... il-3243464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Postal chiefs have closed a postbox...because dogs keep WEEING on it.
The postbox at the corner of Albert Road and Hartford Road in Bexley, south east London, had its slot locked shut and a ‘Closed’ notice pinned to it this week.
Royal Mail workers, however, also taped a grumpy note to the postbox reading ‘This box has been closed due to the fact members of the public are allowing their dogs to urinate on the door’.
The action was taken after local posties complained to bosses that when they went to open the door to get all the letters out they often found it covered in dog wee.
Sandra Richards, 51, said she saw the sign this week as she went to post a birthday card to her granddaughter
She said: “I went to post a birthday card to my granddaughter and saw the postbox was closed and had a note pinned to it - I had to walk half-a-mile to the next postbox.
“I couldn’t believe it when I read it - I mean dogs always wee on postboxes and lampposts, it’s the natural way of things.
“For this to happen is just another example of how health and safety can be used as an excuse for not getting on with the job.”
A spokesman for the Royal Mail said that dogs peeing on the postbox had been ‘an issue’ for a while and advised locals to walk to the nearest alternative postbox just over half-a-mile away.
He said: “Dog fouling has been an issue for some time at this Bexley postbox.
“The box is sited at the entrance to a recreation area where dogs are let off the lead to run free.
“We have taken the decision to re-locate the box further away and we apologise to customers for the temporary disruption to their service."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Post box closed by RM chiefs -because dogs keep weeing on it
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Post box closed by RM chiefs -because dogs keep weeing on it
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
mark_e
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 14 Feb 2008, 19:01
Re: Post box closed by RM chiefs -because dogs keep weeing o
Why not get romec to put the box a bit higher off ground level?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Post box closed by RM chiefs -because dogs keep weeing o
Indeed plenty of space to do it. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.44604 ... DLUe-Q!2e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;mark_e wrote:Why not get romec to put the box a bit higher off ground level?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
music4essex
- Posts: 717
- Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Post box closed by RM chiefs -because dogs keep weeing o
I remember when I was a collections driver in Hastings old town, During the summer they use to have horse and carriage rides and the guy who ran it always parked the horses by the postbox and quite often there was horse manure by it
, always had arguments with him over it ,
alas on to pastures new in another county
Essex mum
alas on to pastures new in another county
Essex mum
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Post box closed by RM chiefs -because dogs keep weeing o
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:She said: “I went to post a birthday card to my granddaughter and saw the postbox was closed and had a note pinned to it - I had to walk half-a-mile to the next postbox.
Well, it isn't really, is it? Why don't dog owners take their dogs elsewhere to piss? It's not like there is a shortage of lampposts to piss on.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:“I couldn’t believe it when I read it - I mean dogs always wee on postboxes and lampposts, it’s the natural way of things.
Yeah. Selfish lazy posties don't want to get dog piss on their hands. It's nothing to do with the possible negative health aspect at all.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:“For this to happen is just another example of how health and safety can be used as an excuse for not getting on with the job.”
Some people.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Post box closed by RM chiefs -because dogs keep weeing o
We had one where kids kept putting fireworks in it, eventually we decided to close the box and removed it shortly after, people weren't too happy about it, if they had stopped their kids from being anti social, we wouldn't need to remove it in the first place. They obviously did not think about the consequences when they decided to act like silly buggers and they are the first to complain. 
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.