But you're ParcelForce who probably have better PDAs.Zanfta wrote:Done it number of times.
DOM says PDA records EVERY scan.
Have been given other day two barcodes. One to scan at the start of the loops and other at the ends to check loop times. So yes. PDA records every single scan or delivery attempt.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Special Delivery question
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Special Delivery question
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
They've got the same PDAs as RMLounge Lizard wrote:But you're ParcelForce who probably have better PDAs.Zanfta wrote:Done it number of times.
DOM says PDA records EVERY scan.
Have been given other day two barcodes. One to scan at the start of the loops and other at the ends to check loop times. So yes. PDA records every single scan or delivery attempt.
-
moleymole
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 24 May 2011, 11:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
Scan it on the doorstep, if it has a dot in front of the code on the PDA it needs a signature - no dot, post it through.
-
Zootsuit
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
I could not agree more that the system should work properly. I think that's simple to fix. Another level of SD, to be delivered by 4pm. That takes care of the need to deliver next day and people would have the choice to have stuff delivered a bit late if they wanted and we wouldn't have to frig the system with USPS items. I only deliver SG's by one on a Saturday as well but interesting you 'make no effort' to deliver anything but 'proper' specials by 1pm on weekdays. Has there been no feedback if you have not scanned e-delcon by 1pm? Be really good if the 'system' doesn't bother about them as proper specials either! I've thought of giving it a go myself but bottled out and scanned before 1pm, couldn't be bothered with trying to justify it although I have argued the toss.NewPostieUK wrote:What makes sense to me is having a system that works properly. We shouldn't have to scan things as 'no answer' just so they aren't flagged up. I make no effort to deliver anything by 1pm other than proper Specials. On a Saturday I only deliver 'SG's' by 1pm. Other specials have to be delivered by 1pm Monday, so 3pm Saturday is fine by me.
Those Internationals are a pain. Some need a signature and some don't. I like to know if I need a signature before I knock. It's embarrassing having to wait with the customer at their door to see if the PDA asks for a signature or not. If it fits through the letterbox it's fine, I can click 'delivered' before I knock and if no sig is needed I'll just post it. Large packets I can't do that in case nobody is in.
I've tried attaching a diagram with what is supposed to have a signature and what isn't, not sure if it'll appear though!
In essence if you get a European item out of the locker it will need a signature (and should be handled as SD even though the customer probably doesn't even know what day it is supposed to arrive on let alone what time). USPS Expres e-delcon items as discussed already are handled as SD but don't need a signature.
moleymole wrote:Scan it on the doorstep, if it has a dot in front of the code on the PDA it needs a signature - no dot, post it through.
FFS, I've noticed the dot, I didn't know what it meant. WHY aren't we told this stuff? Thanks moley, I'll spread the word!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Special Delivery question
Wow, I'll have to look for this dot. Never seen it before.moleymole wrote:Scan it on the doorstep, if it has a dot in front of the code on the PDA it needs a signature - no dot, post it through.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Special Delivery question
No. Nothing has been mentioned. I suspect it's flagged up and manager has to override it maybe? Maybe he has to explain to his boss that the failed special isn't actually a special. Who knows?Mighty Hunter wrote:interesting you 'make no effort' to deliver anything but 'proper' specials by 1pm on weekdays. Has there been no feedback if you have not scanned e-delcon by
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Special Delivery question
it doesnt make a difference dot or no dot. if it needs signature when you click delivered it will ask you to input reciepent name if no signature you click delivered thats it job doneNewPostieUK wrote:Wow, I'll have to look for this dot. Never seen it before.moleymole wrote:Scan it on the doorstep, if it has a dot in front of the code on the PDA it needs a signature - no dot, post it through.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Special Delivery question
That's my whole point. I need to know if it needs a signature before clicking delivered. I scan it, knock at the door, they answer, I don't know if it needs a signature or not, they stand around waiting for me to fiddle about with PDA before saying thank you- bye.. or worse, they have to wait while I input surname and mess about before asking them to sign.bringon4dayweeks wrote:[
it doesnt make a difference dot or no dot. if it needs signature when you click delivered it will ask you to input reciepent name if no signature you click delivered thats it job done
I want to be prepared. I want to either give them the packet when they open the door, or I want to ask them for a signature before handing over packet. I feel like a fool having to wait to see if PDA asks for a signature or not while they are standing there.
-
cweg
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
Yeah it was a pain in the arse until I figured out the signature dot thing. Decent training would have avoided that!
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Special Delivery question
is this a wind up ?NewPostieUK wrote:That's my whole point. I need to know if it needs a signature before clicking delivered. I scan it, knock at the door, they answer, I don't know if it needs a signature or not, they stand around waiting for me to fiddle about with PDA before saying thank you- bye.. or worse, they have to wait while I input surname and mess about before asking them to sign.bringon4dayweeks wrote:[
it doesnt make a difference dot or no dot. if it needs signature when you click delivered it will ask you to input reciepent name if no signature you click delivered thats it job done
I want to be prepared. I want to either give them the packet when they open the door, or I want to ask them for a signature before handing over packet. I feel like a fool having to wait to see if PDA asks for a signature or not while they are standing there.
-
Zootsuit
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
Sorry Bringon, but you are wrong! It's OK if the recipient is in but if they are not you don't select delivered. You select not delivered and you never find out it didn't need a signature and you slip 'em. A waste of your time, a waste of the recipients time and a waste of time back in the office.bringon4dayweeks wrote:it doesnt make a difference dot or no dot. if it needs signature when you click delivered it will ask you to input reciepent name if no signature you click delivered thats it job doneNewPostieUK wrote:Wow, I'll have to look for this dot. Never seen it before.moleymole wrote:Scan it on the doorstep, if it has a dot in front of the code on the PDA it needs a signature - no dot, post it through.
The dot is an efficiency multiplier! Pass the word, I asked around yesterday and no-one knew about it!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Special Delivery question
When you scan the item the barcode comes up on the screen and it either has a dot before it, meaning it will require a signature, or it doesn't, meaning you can deliver it unsigned.
It isn't rocket science.
(We've got one PDA where the dot is at the end of the barcode)
It isn't rocket science.
(We've got one PDA where the dot is at the end of the barcode)
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Special Delivery question
No. I have had no PD training at all and I had no idea how to tell if an item needs a signature or not.bringon4dayweeks wrote: is this a wind up ?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Special Delivery question
its quite simple signed for "recorded" and specials need signatures and on the front of a tracked it will say signature required or no signature requiredNewPostieUK wrote:Wow, I'll have to look for this dot. Never seen it before.moleymole wrote:Scan it on the doorstep, if it has a dot in front of the code on the PDA it needs a signature - no dot, post it through.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Special Delivery question
Perhaps as you seem to believe its us getting it wrong not the system you could explain why on Friday I had one that needed a signature despite the label itself telling me it didn't.bringon4dayweeks wrote:its quite simple signed for "recorded" and specials need signatures and on the front of a tracked it will say signature required or no signature requiredNewPostieUK wrote:Wow, I'll have to look for this dot. Never seen it before.moleymole wrote:Scan it on the doorstep, if it has a dot in front of the code on the PDA it needs a signature - no dot, post it through.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.