You use the word logic in the same breath as RM...............that's like using the word honest and the word politicianUnhappyGremlin wrote:When you scan and go through the menus, the PDA sends the info off.
So, if you re-scan, it should go down separately.
Never done it myself, but logically it should be OK.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Special Delivery question
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Special Delivery question
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
thecompletepackage
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 21:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
A second scan doesn't wipe the first one from the system. If you track & trace it on the RM website it will show as an attempted delivery, so the customer will know if you've been or not (same as tracked)
-
masterblaster
- Posts: 285
- Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
Hmmm. Didn't know the scan location would be logged, so if I scan an item, and no one is in, then when I get to my next location to scan an item and find i haven't put not delivered no answer for that previous item, it could be 5 or 10 miles further away from the office? Never had this flagged up before.
-
thecompletepackage
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 21:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
It won't flag up because there's nobody to sit on a computer tracking your every movement.masterblaster wrote:Hmmm. Didn't know the scan location would be logged, so if I scan an item, and no one is in, then when I get to my next location to scan an item and find i haven't put not delivered no answer for that previous item, it could be 5 or 10 miles further away from the office? Never had this flagged up before.
It will flag up when a customer puts in a complaint and RM then key in the relevant data for that PDA's activities.
-
cweg
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
It seems all USPS and a lot of other international parcels go out as special deliveries by default in our office. When you scan them they don't even ask for a signature. Does this happen elsewhere?
-
maximus12
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 08:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
That happens in my office toocweg wrote:It seems all USPS and a lot of other international parcels go out as special deliveries by default in our office. When you scan them they don't even ask for a signature. Does this happen elsewhere?
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Special Delivery question
Well not yet anyway..........thecompletepackage wrote: It won't flag up because there's nobody to sit on a computer tracking your every movement.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
So what happens if you have specials and your PDA decides to freeze so you can't scan them? I managed to deliver one and got the guy to sign a red slip and wrote the tracking number on so I could scan it when I got back to the office. The other 2 weren't in so I red slipped them but was unable to scan them undelivered. Could the customers still kick off when they check online and see they weren't scanned until after 4pm even though the red slips had the time before 1pm written on them?
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Special Delivery question
that sounds like a failure how did you scan the signature when you got back the office ?Barbel wrote:So what happens if you have specials and your PDA decides to freeze so you can't scan them? I managed to deliver one and got the guy to sign a red slip and wrote the tracking number on so I could scan it when I got back to the office. The other 2 weren't in so I red slipped them but was unable to scan them undelivered. Could the customers still kick off when they check online and see they weren't scanned until after 4pm even though the red slips had the time before 1pm written on them?
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
Ha ha I don't mean scanned, I meant to say manually input the tracking numbers on a PDA when I got back to the office
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3220
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
Same in ours. However These dont need to be attempted by 1pm though. 1pm Special Delivery ( trademark ) is only a Royal Mail UK service so no obligation for 1pm with any other.cweg wrote:It seems all USPS and a lot of other international parcels go out as special deliveries by default in our office. When you scan them they don't even ask for a signature. Does this happen elsewhere?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12178
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
The system might still see ones attempted after 1pm as a failure, as they will have passed through the system as specialsAcca Dacca wrote:Same in ours. However These dont need to be attempted by 1pm though. 1pm Special Delivery ( trademark ) is only a Royal Mail UK service so no obligation for 1pm with any other.cweg wrote:It seems all USPS and a lot of other international parcels go out as special deliveries by default in our office. When you scan them they don't even ask for a signature. Does this happen elsewhere?
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Special Delivery question
Apparently, but that's the system at fault, it doesn't mean they have to be delivered by 1:00.SpacePhoenix wrote:The system might still see ones attempted after 1pm as a failure, as they will have passed through the system as specialsAcca Dacca wrote:Same in ours. However These dont need to be attempted by 1pm though. 1pm Special Delivery ( trademark ) is only a Royal Mail UK service so no obligation for 1pm with any other.cweg wrote:It seems all USPS and a lot of other international parcels go out as special deliveries by default in our office. When you scan them they don't even ask for a signature. Does this happen elsewhere?
-
Zootsuit
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Special Delivery question
Couple of things here. Anything that comes out of the locker as a special has to be actioned by 1pm (unless it's a by 9am!) otherwise it goes down as a failure.Acca Dacca wrote:Same in ours. However These dont need to be attempted by 1pm though. 1pm Special Delivery ( trademark ) is only a Royal Mail UK service so no obligation for 1pm with any other.cweg wrote:It seems all USPS and a lot of other international parcels go out as special deliveries by default in our office. When you scan them they don't even ask for a signature. Does this happen elsewhere?
That's a fault of the system, at the moment it's the only way of dealing with these items. Note actioned by 1pm. If you scan them as not delivered no access before 1pm then scan as delivered later on it's fine. In particular USPS e-delcon expres items do not need a signature. They are classed as specials but only because USPS pay for them to be delivered the day after they arrive in the UK. If they can fit through the delivery point and no one is in you can scan them as delivered and post them. In addition if they are at the wrong end of your walk and you won't make it by 1pm don't go off piste and waste time, scan as no access and then scan as delivered when you deliver it. Our system doesn't react because it was initially actioned by 1pm, USPS is happy because the item has been delivered the next day, the customer is happy if they weren't in and you posted it because they don't have to go down to the callers office to get something they don't have to sign for anyway. Everyones a winner.
To answer the original question yes you can scan as not delivered then scan as delivered later. I have done it lots of times and never had a problem. It makes sense, for the customer, for anyone who has to handle the item back at the office and for anyone who has to stand in the queue at the callers office!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Special Delivery question
What makes sense to me is having a system that works properly. We shouldn't have to scan things as 'no answer' just so they aren't flagged up. I make no effort to deliver anything by 1pm other than proper Specials. On a Saturday I only deliver 'SG's' by 1pm. Other specials have to be delivered by 1pm Monday, so 3pm Saturday is fine by me.
Those Internationals are a pain. Some need a signature and some don't. I like to know if I need a signature before I knock. It's embarrassing having to wait with the customer at their door to see if the PDA asks for a signature or not. If it fits through the letterbox it's fine, I can click 'delivered' before I knock and if no sig is needed I'll just post it. Large packets I can't do that in case nobody is in.
Those Internationals are a pain. Some need a signature and some don't. I like to know if I need a signature before I knock. It's embarrassing having to wait with the customer at their door to see if the PDA asks for a signature or not. If it fits through the letterbox it's fine, I can click 'delivered' before I knock and if no sig is needed I'll just post it. Large packets I can't do that in case nobody is in.