ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postal workers' union backs Blackburn delivery boycott

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postal workers' union backs Blackburn delivery boycott

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Postal workers' union backs Blackburn delivery boycott after dog bite

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... ?ref=var_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POSTAL Workers’ Union the CWU has backed Royal Mail’s decision to suspend deliveries on a Blackburn street.

Services were halted in Worcester Road, Whitebirk after a postman was bitten on the arm by a dog.

Deliveries were stopped because there was deemed to be an ‘unacceptable level of risk’ to postal workers posed by the animal.

Blackburn MP Jack Straw backed Royal Mail’s decision.

He said: “This is obviously aggravating to the residents but postmen and women face real danger everyday and until they can be sure the area is safe I support them taking this action.”

Carl Webb, regional secretary of the CWU said he ‘agreed completely’ with Mr Straw.

He said: “I endore what Jack Straw said one hundred per cent.

“I endorse the actions taken by Royal Mail. Royal Mail are doing it to support the safety of our members, and we definitely support them.

“Dog bites on our members have been a matter of concern for us for a long time.

“It’s unfortunate on other residents, but I’m sure they would want their postie, who delivers mail to them in all kinds of weather, to be kept safe.

“We would hope a solution can be found, so that deliveries can get back on again as soon as possible.”

But opinion was divided on the Lancashire Telegraph website as to whether the action was appropriate.

One poster said: “Well done Royal Mail who have suspended all mail on this street until their postmen and women are safe to walk this street again.”

But others disagreed, believing Royal Mail had gone too far.

One said: “I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time a postman has been bitten by a dog in this country, so why all the fuss now?

“I wonder how long it will be before the Royal mail decides to ban any deliveries where there is a dog on the street?”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Postal workers' union backs Blackburn delivery boycott

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:One said: “I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time a postman has been bitten by a dog in this country, so why all the fuss now?
Because in these modern times of H&S, and compensation culture, not to mention RM's duty of care to its staff (which, if they failed to uphold by NOT cancelling deliveries, it could result in a much bigger pay out), etc.
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:“I wonder how long it will be before the Royal mail decides to ban any deliveries where there is a dog on the street?”
If they did this (never happen - wins the award for most stupid and moronic statement 2014), we'd never deliver anywhere.
The chance of there being one street in the country without a dog is zero.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
steven100
Posts: 1391
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers' union backs Blackburn delivery boycott

Post by steven100 »

Can we not carry a gun like in America (unofficially carrying a gun) for protection against dogs. I suppose on the delivery there could a trail of dead dogs.