OnAFlyer wrote:
Probably because Mon-Fri delivery would mean 1 in 6 staff losing their jobs. It would be great for those left (I can only dream of getting every weekend off) but not something the CWU is ever going to endorse - quite the opposite.
I'm sure they could get 1/5th of the workforce to go under evr or redundancy.
20 000 lost jobs at about £40 000 each.
That would be a massive financial undertaking. Can't see RM going for that one.
Not to mention the duties that will still need to be covered, and that could be a lot of deliveries, assuming that you're talking about posties on delivery that is.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
OnAFlyer wrote:
Probably because Mon-Fri delivery would mean 1 in 6 staff losing their jobs. It would be great for those left (I can only dream of getting every weekend off) but not something the CWU is ever going to endorse - quite the opposite.
I'm sure they could get 1/5th of the workforce to go under evr or redundancy.
20 000 lost jobs at about £40 000 each.
That would be a massive financial undertaking. Can't see RM going for that one.
Things could be different in a few years Natural wastage,TNT expanding etc,could be down to 10,000 needed to go.
rhino49 wrote:Ours has dropped noticeably - and we know where it has gone - TNT are now delivering a significant amount of mail that I recognise from our DSA mail. I see it in porches and whilst they are only delivering on alternate days - they are delivering a lot more than the odd item. Now that their staff have settled in they are a definite threat to us.
No 6 days a week USO for them!
Why Can't we have a 5 Day week Monday to Friday it's about time CWU fought for a 5 day week
yea 5 day week would be great. tues are well light , just put sat mail on to tuesday.
rhino49 wrote:Ours has dropped noticeably - and we know where it has gone - TNT are now delivering a significant amount of mail that I recognise from our DSA mail. I see it in porches and whilst they are only delivering on alternate days - they are delivering a lot more than the odd item. Now that their staff have settled in they are a definite threat to us.
No 6 days a week USO for them!
Why Can't we have a 5 Day week Monday to Friday it's about time CWU fought for a 5 day week
yea 5 day week would be great. tues are well light , just put sat mail on to tuesday.
Mondays and Tuesdays are light so a five day week would involve Monday's mail deferred to Tuesday and us all working Tuesday to Saturday, with Sunday and Monday off.
Chitchat wrote:Id rather save peoples jobs than have saturday off every week!
I understand what you are saying, living in a 1st world country without work is wrong. When a new supermarket is built there are many claims about how many more jobs are being created, we can only buy so much, so for those jobs to be created, are jobs being lost in other retail units. Why have jobs for jobs sake, if a 5 day service was better for everyone then should it be adopted. BUT would I want to give up my job and have to live of the dole, the "cake" is only so big, how do we divide it up, and who do we let make that decision.
Grace Petrie MP Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLtkUjRIwsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lounge Lizard wrote:
Mondays and Tuesdays are light so a five day week would involve Monday's mail deferred to Tuesday and us all working Tuesday to Saturday, with Sunday and Monday off.
Businesses might have something to say about that, and they're the customers that matter to RM.
Chitchat wrote:Id rather save peoples jobs than have saturday off every week!
I understand what you are saying, living in a 1st world country without work is wrong. When a new supermarket is built there are many claims about how many more jobs are being created, we can only buy so much, so for those jobs to be created, are jobs being lost in other retail units. Why have jobs for jobs sake, if a 5 day service was better for everyone then should it be adopted. BUT would I want to give up my job and have to live of the dole, the "cake" is only so big, how do we divide it up, and who do we let make that decision.
Grace Petrie MP Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLtkUjRIwsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once you remove saturdays then when does the savings stop will it be ok for rm to deliver 3 days a week. I dont think its right that the staff are talking about cutting other peoples jobs so they can have every weekend off. The axe might not be hanging over you this time but what about when it comes round to you. Who will be left to fight for your job.
Chitchat wrote:Id rather save peoples jobs than have saturday off every week!
I understand what you are saying, living in a 1st world country without work is wrong. When a new supermarket is built there are many claims about how many more jobs are being created, we can only buy so much, so for those jobs to be created, are jobs being lost in other retail units. Why have jobs for jobs sake, if a 5 day service was better for everyone then should it be adopted. BUT would I want to give up my job and have to live of the dole, the "cake" is only so big, how do we divide it up, and who do we let make that decision.
Grace Petrie MP Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLtkUjRIwsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once you remove saturdays then when does the savings stop will it be ok for rm to deliver 3 days a week. I dont think its right that the staff are talking about cutting other peoples jobs so they can have every weekend off. The axe might not be hanging over you this time but what about when it comes round to you. Who will be left to fight for your job.
I am not arguing against your opinion, what I am saying we can not continue the way we are living, a race to the bottom. Why should a delivery person be paid less than us, just because they work for TNT then, so in the end we will be forced to be paid at their rate. Should we not be fighting for a good flat rate for all the people working in the delivery service, not just in RM.
OnAFlyer wrote:
Probably because Mon-Fri delivery would mean 1 in 6 staff losing their jobs. It would be great for those left (I can only dream of getting every weekend off) but not something the CWU is ever going to endorse - quite the opposite.
I'm sure they could get 1/5th of the workforce to go under evr or redundancy.
My delivery office is on about having to lapse six walks in our office our dom says we are 80000 letters a week down since tnt started posting in middleton thinks there will be some job cuts soon offer me a years wage ill be gone tomorrow ha ha
Lightest Mon and Tues for a long time. My last two loops have a total of 110 houses, I had 38 letters and one packet for both put together today, taking a total of 14 minutes. Good job we took extra D2D on another part of the walk to stretch it out a bit, still took under 2.5hrs for the whole duty though.
It's no wonder RM want a lot more flexibility with workloads all over the place, at Christmas we were cutting off close to 2hrs work some days.
We got told yesterday that TNT are starting deliveries on the 24th March and that most of our sequenced mail will be gone, in the next breath we were asked if anyone wanted a buy down, they're also offering VR.
rhino49 wrote:Ours has dropped noticeably - and we know where it has gone - TNT are now delivering a significant amount of mail that I recognise from our DSA mail. I see it in porches and whilst they are only delivering on alternate days - they are delivering a lot more than the odd item. Now that their staff have settled in they are a definite threat to us.