ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

death payment.

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
robber12
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 00:16
Gender: Male

death payment.

Post by robber12 »

Hi all.
I think I am going to be pensioned off soon due to my ill health (terminal cancer).
What I would like to know is will my wife still get a full death benefit pay out when I die?
I think I am due about £76,000 and am just making sure my family will be looked after when I die.
Of course I shall meet with my union rep before I accept anything but any help/feedback will be most grateful.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rob..............
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: death payment.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Much as I hate to say it, I believe it is better for your dependants if you die in service rather than taking IHR.
If you take IHR, you leave the business and the death in service won't apply.

Don't take my word for it, discuss it with your Area/Div rep who will probably have dealt with this before.
Sorry.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: death payment.

Post by feduppostie »

I agree with clash

horrible thing to say (I'm so sorry) but death in service only counts if you are still employed

on another note google 'run from the cure' on youtube and watch it all

what have you got to lose

my best wishes to you and your family either way
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: death payment.

Post by bogstandard »

clashcityrocker wrote:Much as I hate to say it, I believe it is better for your dependants if you die in service rather than taking IHR.
If you take IHR, you leave the business and the death in service won't apply.

Don't take my word for it, discuss it with your Area/Div rep who will probably have dealt with this before.
Sorry.
you are correct as i have had to check this out recently
IHR is about a years money

sorry to hear you've to go through this
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: death payment.

Post by Lincox »

Is it not the duty of Royal Mail to make sure that Robbers family are not disadvantaged in any way. Surely that is a duty of care.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: death payment.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Is a career break permitted while suffering such poor health ?
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: death payment.

Post by maisymoo04 »

:sad:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
demon
Posts: 732
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 14:19
Gender: Female

Re: death payment.

Post by demon »

:cry
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: death payment.

Post by Barbel »

I'm so sorry what you're going though, thinking of you and your family. :sad:
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: death payment.

Post by Cedar_Room »

Can only echoe all of the above comrade,thoughts are with you + your family.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
dazzlin72
Posts: 321
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 13:56
Gender: Male

Re: death payment.

Post by dazzlin72 »

A similar situation happened at our office, I'm sure the rep was able to help with pension being released earlier due to circumstances.
To you & your family I wish you all the best at this difficult time.
foggilake
Posts: 7
Joined: 02 Sep 2013, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: death payment.

Post by foggilake »

:cry
NumptyBumpty
Posts: 132
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 16:41
Gender: Female

Re: death payment.

Post by NumptyBumpty »

I think you need to take both legal and financial advice on this.

If they do try to dismiss you (which is what IHR is) then there may be some protection under the equality act. They can still make reasonable adjustments to their policies regarding IHR and terminal illnesses.

If they do give you IHR then it will be with pension and probably with enhanced reckonable service, depending on your ages, it could be an advantage for your wife. If they do go down the IHR route then it might be worthwhile writing to the pension trustees and Moya to state your case, if your beneficary will be financially disadvantaged by the decision.
robber12
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 00:16
Gender: Male

Re: death payment.

Post by robber12 »

Thanks all for all your helpful replies.
I am 52 and my wife is the same age and all want is whatever is the best for her and my children.
My doctor has told me that I will never be fit enough to work again and I should perhaps think in terms of many months rather than years.
He is a good doctor and will tell me the truth.
The oncologists have all said similar things but the never commit to anything certain.
I just feel lucky to be able to try and prepare for the inevitable. I shall take advice when I am presented with my retirement offer.
From what I can make out I will get an enhanced pension and lump sum when I retire and a smaller death payment.
It is all very confusing.
Thanks.
Rob.....
dave0876
Posts: 154
Joined: 19 Apr 2008, 12:09

death payment.

Post by dave0876 »

I know this is probably to late for the original poster but for other peoples benefit when you are IHR'd out of the company your death in service reward is payable to your family five years after you leave the business i was told this in my exit meeting.