ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

maximum holidays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: maximum holidays

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

zx135 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:
zx135 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote: I believe the law (Working Time Regulations?) should be mentioned.
It clearly states employees are to have 4 weeks annual leave per year, away from work. (May also exclude Public BH's).
The law actually states entitlement of statutory 5.6 weeks paid holiday
UnhappyGremlin wrote: Staffing problems are the manager/DOM's problem, not yours.

Ask the DOM his/her managers name and address, and when they ask why, tell them it's so you know where to send the grievance.
Should start with lodging the grievance with the dom in first instance and then if no satisfactory response then you go to stage 2 which is Area Manager or equivelant, then stage 3 is regional manager

best to follow the correct procedure rather than jumping stages
If you're filing a grievance against the DOM, it can't be sent to them, as they can't deal with it.
If it's a grievance against a lino, then fine, it goes to the DOM.
No read the actual procedure, stage 1 goes to the dom he gets chance to resolve it first then it goes above his head at stage 2, your quoting the bullying and harassment procedure which would (if you so wished) go above his head at stage 1 the grievance procedure does not it goes to dom first then above his head
Every grievance I've filed (and it's a few) has been sent to the manager of the person I've filed the complaint against. And I've never been told it was wrong, by any manager or by the union rep who told me to do that.

If true, and you should give it to the manager your complaining about, it's hardly likely to be dealt with properly. They will have already had the chance to do something about it outside of formal procedures and ignored you. If they had done something about it, I wouldn't have had to file any grievance in the first place.

And if you hand the complaint to them, they will likely then target you for everything and anything.

Plus, there is also the point that you may not feel comfortable with that particular manager dealing with the situation.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: maximum holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

UnhappyGremlin wrote: Every grievance I've filed (and it's a few) has been sent to the manager of the person I've filed the complaint against. And I've never been told it was wrong, by any manager or by the union rep who told me to do that.

If true, and you should give it to the manager your complaining about, it's hardly likely to be dealt with properly. They will have already had the chance to do something about it outside of formal procedures and ignored you. If they had done something about it, I wouldn't have had to file any grievance in the first place.

And if you hand the complaint to them, they will likely then target you for everything and anything.

Plus, there is also the point that you may not feel comfortable with that particular manager dealing with the situation.
Well i suggest you read the grievance procedure, its here:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and its very clear stage 1 goes to your line manager
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: maximum holidays

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

zx135 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote: Every grievance I've filed (and it's a few) has been sent to the manager of the person I've filed the complaint against. And I've never been told it was wrong, by any manager or by the union rep who told me to do that.

If true, and you should give it to the manager your complaining about, it's hardly likely to be dealt with properly. They will have already had the chance to do something about it outside of formal procedures and ignored you. If they had done something about it, I wouldn't have had to file any grievance in the first place.

And if you hand the complaint to them, they will likely then target you for everything and anything.

Plus, there is also the point that you may not feel comfortable with that particular manager dealing with the situation.
Well i suggest you read the grievance procedure, its here:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and its very clear stage 1 goes to your line manager
BUT it does not have to be in writing.
They have had their chance by me speaking to them. They should respond in writing (they never do - they don't want that).
That means you should raise issues with your line manager first, which is right. But when they fail to deal with/respond effectively to them, then you file the paperwork and it goes to their manager.
Even my DOM says it should be done this way.

Plus, as I said before, if you are not happy for them to deal with the issue, you are well within your rights to have it dealt with by an outsider.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: maximum holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
zx135 wrote:
Well i suggest you read the grievance procedure, its here:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and its very clear stage 1 goes to your line manager
BUT it does not have to be in writing.
They have had their chance by me speaking to them. They should respond in writing (they never do - they don't want that).
That means you should raise issues with your line manager first, which is right. But when they fail to deal with/respond effectively to them, then you file the paperwork and it goes to their manager.
Even my DOM says it should be done this way.

Plus, as I said before, if you are not happy for them to deal with the issue, you are well within your rights to have it dealt with by an outsider.
Just simply speaking to them isnt enough, you have to make it clear you are lodging a stage 1 grievance, then if they dont respond, then you go to their manager with a stage 2 grievance

Also what reason would you have for not allowing your manager to deal with the grievance?
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: maximum holidays

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

zx135 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:
zx135 wrote:
Well i suggest you read the grievance procedure, its here:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and its very clear stage 1 goes to your line manager
BUT it does not have to be in writing.
They have had their chance by me speaking to them. They should respond in writing (they never do - they don't want that).
That means you should raise issues with your line manager first, which is right. But when they fail to deal with/respond effectively to them, then you file the paperwork and it goes to their manager.
Even my DOM says it should be done this way.

Plus, as I said before, if you are not happy for them to deal with the issue, you are well within your rights to have it dealt with by an outsider.
Just simply speaking to them isnt enough, you have to make it clear you are lodging a stage 1 grievance, then if they dont respond, then you go to their manager with a stage 2 grievance

Also what reason would you have for not allowing your manager to deal with the grievance?
I do make it clear it's a grievance. I give them plenty of chances. It's not like something happens and I immediately write out the form and send it to their boss.

It's not about 'not allowing' them to deal with it. It's because they have failed to normally.
Or, in one or two instances, I haven't felt comfortable with them dealing with it.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: maximum holidays

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
zx135 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:
zx135 wrote:
Well i suggest you read the grievance procedure, its here:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and its very clear stage 1 goes to your line manager
BUT it does not have to be in writing.
They have had their chance by me speaking to them. They should respond in writing (they never do - they don't want that).
That means you should raise issues with your line manager first, which is right. But when they fail to deal with/respond effectively to them, then you file the paperwork and it goes to their manager.
Even my DOM says it should be done this way.

Plus, as I said before, if you are not happy for them to deal with the issue, you are well within your rights to have it dealt with by an outsider.
Just simply speaking to them isnt enough, you have to make it clear you are lodging a stage 1 grievance, then if they dont respond, then you go to their manager with a stage 2 grievance

Also what reason would you have for not allowing your manager to deal with the grievance?
I do make it clear it's a grievance. I give them plenty of chances. It's not like something happens and I immediately write out the form and send it to their boss.

It's not about 'not allowing' them to deal with it. It's because they have failed to normally.
Or, in one or two instances, I haven't felt comfortable with them dealing with it.
There shouldn't be any greivance that you feel uncomfortable with reporting to the dom
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: maximum holidays

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

zx135 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:
zx135 wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:
zx135 wrote:
Well i suggest you read the grievance procedure, its here:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... php?id=366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and its very clear stage 1 goes to your line manager
BUT it does not have to be in writing.
They have had their chance by me speaking to them. They should respond in writing (they never do - they don't want that).
That means you should raise issues with your line manager first, which is right. But when they fail to deal with/respond effectively to them, then you file the paperwork and it goes to their manager.
Even my DOM says it should be done this way.

Plus, as I said before, if you are not happy for them to deal with the issue, you are well within your rights to have it dealt with by an outsider.
Just simply speaking to them isnt enough, you have to make it clear you are lodging a stage 1 grievance, then if they dont respond, then you go to their manager with a stage 2 grievance

Also what reason would you have for not allowing your manager to deal with the grievance?
I do make it clear it's a grievance. I give them plenty of chances. It's not like something happens and I immediately write out the form and send it to their boss.

It's not about 'not allowing' them to deal with it. It's because they have failed to normally.
Or, in one or two instances, I haven't felt comfortable with them dealing with it.
There shouldn't be any greivance that you feel uncomfortable with reporting to the dom
Well there was for me.
And I'm sure others will have felt uncomfortable, in certain circumstances.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.