ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Cutting Off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

scoobydo79 wrote:Thats fine with Me then. My last loop is s**t :nana
by the way, if you fail mail, your dom is supposed to count each individual item and report amounts failed of 1st class 2nd class and mailsort etc, so if he is not counting it, he is not reporting the failure either correctly or at all and you should get your rep to deal with that
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by BeamishStout »

zx135 wrote:
BeamishStout wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:Did you have your 40 min meal relief on Saturday ?
Yep 20mins prior (and 20 mins at the end)
when was your 20 minutes at the end? you said you got back to office for 1400 did your kill offs etc and finish time was 1410?

Also the 6 items you left in office, should have went out, your not allowed to stream mail like this, if that means that you have to take longer and cut off at end of duty then so be it, its doms problem

as for cutting off procedure, its been mentioned above, you are supposed to inform dom as soon as you becoma aware that you wont be able to complete on time and then he decides how he wants to deal with it, he can offer you OT, if you dont want it he can then either pay OT to someone else to do it, or if someone has time left in their duty he could get them to do it(the guys on job and finish would be ideal candidates), lastly he can either deliver it himself which is taking OT away from posties and should be opposed by rep or fail the mail, which rep should insist that the failed mail is counted and reported properly
Just to clarify a few things finishing time is 1430 on Sat (less that final 20 minute meal relief at end of shift) taking effective finishing time back to 1410. So Saturday gone I was right on my allotted time to do everything they wanted me to do (except the large packets).

The situation re large packets is a particularly irritating one for many I'm sure. Most days many duties in our LDO are unable to clear all large packets. So the conversation goes something like this 'Do you want me to take the lapsing or the large packets as I won't have time to do both?' The answer is invariably 'Leave the packets'. So DOMs are constantly streaming mail always in favour of letters rather than large parcels. Seldom do they all get cleared by someone else that day and there is a constant catch-up by people going out early the next day (if you are lucky). A few weeks ago packets built up from the Wednesday and they were finally delivered on the following Tuesday. I specifically asked to take these packets out (on the Saturday) rather than the lapsing but was told to do the lapsing instead.

I guess what I have got to shake off is the 'ownership and responsibility' of a duty and not get annoyed if management see fit to delay packet deliveries on the duty I deliver to 5 days a week. Customers are getting a raw deal as I see it and management either don't know or don't care so long as they can say that all mail is clear although I gather non-clearance of packages is something should not be happening within each office.

It still mystifies me as to why management insist on lapsing when the knock-on effect can be that packets take a hit because of it!

I gather that there are no laid down guidelines in black and white because I've never had a WTL briefing about it. But thanks for all your thoughts and advice. :thumbup
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

BeamishStout wrote: The situation re large packets is a particularly irritating one for many I'm sure. Most days many duties in our LDO are unable to clear all large packets. So the conversation goes something like this 'Do you want me to take the lapsing or the large packets as I won't have time to do both?' The answer is invariably 'Leave the packets'. So DOMs are constantly streaming mail always in favour of letters rather than large parcels. Seldom do they all get cleared by someone else that day and there is a constant catch-up by people going out early the next day (if you are lucky). A few weeks ago packets built up from the Wednesday and they were finally delivered on the following Tuesday. I specifically asked to take these packets out (on the Saturday) rather than the lapsing but was told to do the lapsing instead.
From that statement i can pretty much be sure your dom is not reporting the failures correctly, i would suggest an anonymous email to moya's office, justsayit@royalmail.com next time that the parcels are starting to build up would be a very interesting course of action, your dom would be in big trouble if he is leaving parcels for several days on end and hiding it from above
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

sgt,rock wrote:Packets / parcels are not covered under the USO. We only get fined if mail fails and only then if it is mail covered under the USO, not all the mail is from my understanding.
incorrect packets and parcels are covered under the uso but only for deliveries mon to fri
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

sgt,rock wrote:http://www.royalmailgroup.com/about-us/ ... obligation

doesn't mention parcels or packets there only being mon - fri.
but it does here, in the actual legislation, not royal mail's own take on the law


http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/5/section/31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

31 Minimum requirements

This section sets out the services that must, as a minimum, be included in a universal postal service.
Requirement 1: delivery of letters or other postal packets
(1) At least one delivery of letters every Monday to Saturday—
(1)(a) to the home or premises of every individual or other person in the United Kingdom, or
(b) to such identifiable points for the delivery of postal packets as OFCOM may approve.
(2) At least one delivery of other postal packets every Monday to Friday to the places within paragraph (1)(a) or (b).
(3) The references in this requirement to the delivery of letters or other postal packets include the delivery of packets posted outside the United Kingdom.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

sgt,rock wrote:So our DOM lies when we are instructed to leave packets. Oh well, their problem not mine.
as i said above, email moya anonymously, it will drop him in it big style if he is caught doing such things
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by GT750rider »

I would imagine a hell of a lot of Ebay sellers are getting less than 100% in their feedback what with all these packets / parcels stacking up. I know I would be a bit pissed off, if I were a seller.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Cutting Off

Post by Budfrog »

zx135 wrote:by the way, if you fail mail, your dom is supposed to count each individual item and report amounts failed of 1st class 2nd class and mailsort etc, so if he is not counting it, he is not reporting the failure either correctly or at all and you should get your rep to deal with that
It's not your job (or that of a CWU Rep) to manage or monitor what procedures the manager is following .... it's his manager's job i.e. the DSM, however you can question reports and figures.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Budfrog wrote:
zx135 wrote:by the way, if you fail mail, your dom is supposed to count each individual item and report amounts failed of 1st class 2nd class and mailsort etc, so if he is not counting it, he is not reporting the failure either correctly or at all and you should get your rep to deal with that
It's not your job (or that of a CWU Rep) to manage or monitor what procedures the manager is following .... it's his manager's job i.e. the DSM, however you can question reports and figures.
So if manager is not reporting stuff and falsifying figures you shouldn't flag it up to the rep?

Especially when it is your walk he is mis reporting?

Nah definitely let the rep know and an email to moya as well
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Cutting Off

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

zx135 wrote:
Budfrog wrote:
zx135 wrote:by the way, if you fail mail, your dom is supposed to count each individual item and report amounts failed of 1st class 2nd class and mailsort etc, so if he is not counting it, he is not reporting the failure either correctly or at all and you should get your rep to deal with that
It's not your job (or that of a CWU Rep) to manage or monitor what procedures the manager is following .... it's his manager's job i.e. the DSM, however you can question reports and figures.
So if manager is not reporting stuff and falsifying figures you shouldn't flag it up to the rep?

Especially when it is your walk he is mis reporting?

Nah definitely let the rep know and an email to moya as well
Thats the problem with the English language and conversing in Text. you are both right. :crazy: :crazy:
Its certainly not the reps, or ours, job to manage the managers or to make sure they are fulfilling their obligations etc. However, it is in our interests, and therefore the CWUs, if their failure to follow procedure has an effect on our work. So the rep can't deal with it, but they can certainly build a picture and if necessary take steps to address it with their management counterpart.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by fishtank »

scoobydo79 wrote:Yuh I see what you mean but as I have signed for that duty surely I am expected to complete it in the given time if I am able to.The lapsed part should be the if I have time.
The main guiding principle for lapsing/absorption is...
To jointly identify/implement genuine opportunities to absorb outdoor and/or indoor workload where time exists within approved attendance times/normal paid work hours.
If you can't complete your own delivery because you're lapsing then surely time does not exist within approved attendance times/normal paid work hours.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by lollollol »

When I was unit rep the area rep asked all the local reps to flag up any possible failures... was always happy to try and drop my DIM in the ****... :cuppa
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: Cutting Off

Post by Silly Sarah »

I'm p/t and my dom keeps putting me on f/t rounds which nearly always puts me over my time. Normally I complete and claim o/t. If I want to cut off he insists I take everything and phone him an hour before my duty end time. Why should I have to use my personal phone for business use? I don't want to have to claim back phone charges. It's not provided by RM so I won't use it. Can he insist I phone him? What is the correct procedure?
What have I done to deserve this?
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Cutting Off

Post by eastie »

Silly Sarah wrote:I'm p/t and my dom keeps putting me on f/t rounds which nearly always puts me over my time. Normally I complete and claim o/t. If I want to cut off he insists I take everything and phone him an hour before my duty end time. Why should I have to use my personal phone for business use? I don't want to have to claim back phone charges. It's not provided by RM so I won't use it. Can he insist I phone him? What is the correct procedure?
tel him you will not use your mobile and get him to ring you about an hour before you finish and you will tell him if you are cutting off or not
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: Cutting Off

Post by Silly Sarah »

eastie wrote:
Silly Sarah wrote:I'm p/t and my dom keeps putting me on f/t rounds which nearly always puts me over my time. Normally I complete and claim o/t. If I want to cut off he insists I take everything and phone him an hour before my duty end time. Why should I have to use my personal phone for business use? I don't want to have to claim back phone charges. It's not provided by RM so I won't use it. Can he insist I phone him? What is the correct procedure?
tel him you will not use your mobile and get him to ring you about an hour before you finish and you will tell him if you are cutting off or not
No I won't do that. I'm not giving my dom my mobile number. It's personal and private and I won't be pestered by him whenever he feels like it.
What have I done to deserve this?