ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shipton Moyne PO closes after owner calls time on 58 years

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Shipton Moyne PO closes after owner calls time on 58 years

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Shipton Moyne Post Office closes after owner calls time on 58 years of service

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/11004286._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

PEOPLE living in Shipton Moyne will have to travel further to post their letters after the village Post Office shut its doors for the last time.

The Post Office, which has been the cornerstone of the village for decades, shut on Wednesday, February 12 after postmaster Doreen Gibbings retired after 58 years behind the counter.

The 79-year-old told the Standard that the time was right for her to give up the job she had done for nearly all her life.

“It was about time I retired. I’ve been running this Post Office on my own now for 40 years,” she said.

“I’m going to really miss the people. I have become so used to seeing their faces every day. I’m just sorry that I’m leaving them without a Post Office.”

Doreen, who first clocked in when she was just 21, took sole responsibility of the Post Office following the death of her husband four decades ago.

Having worked 33 hours over the course of a six day week for nearly 60 years, Doreen is looking forward to putting her feet up and taking life easy.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time here and it does feel like the end of an era. But I am going to enjoy being able to do all the things that I haven’t had time to over the years,” she said.

Doreen’s customers and friends are hoping to buy a bench to put in the village in recognition of her 58 years of service.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Shipton Moyne PO closes after owner calls time on 58 yea

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"PEOPLE living in Shipton Moyne will have to travel further to post their letters after the village Post Office shut its doors for the last time." - as if closure of a Post Office means removal of the post box too. :crazy: