ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Average miles covered by a postman per day?
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3231
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
I have a Fitbit One which is very accurate and I average about 11 miles a day on delivery ( 23,000 steps )
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16726
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
From a review:Acca Dacca wrote:I have a Fitbit One which is very accurate and I average about 11 miles a day on delivery ( 23,000 steps )
With inline skating the Fitbit surprised me in measuring that activity better than either my Nike or Jawbone bands. With that exercise, while I wasn't stepping, hip movement was still calculated as "steps" that were tracked and turned into calories burned.
Distance is drawn from the steps you take; stairs climbed are based on an altimeter in the device. But that can lead to some funny readings. Last week, I went on a 15-mile bike ride. I got back and discovered I'd "climbed" 40 floors, according to my Fitbit. I hadn't. But I had ridden from sea level up onto some coastal bluffs and back down. The elevation change was translated into floors climbed.
Sounds very accurate...........
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
That's because eating a massive load of food promotes huge insulin spike which tells the body to start storing excess glucose as fat. And eating later in the day compounds the problem because your metabolism begins to slow ready for sleep, so calories that might have been used earlier in the day just get stored as fat.wacko74 wrote:so I starve myself all day then eat like a b*****d as soon as I get home!
The result being that despite all the exercise I get on the job I've still got a belly.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
A good high protein breakfast such as kippers or boiled eggs.wacko74 wrote:Have you got any good tips from your weight control plan?
I seem to have the same eating habits as you... don't have any breakfast or eat anything at all in work as snacking just seems to have the effect of making me feel even more hungry, so I starve myself all day then eat like a b*****d as soon as I get home!
The result being that despite all the exercise I get on the job I've still got a belly.
Mid morning,A chicken breast with some salad,or a chicken sandwich using wholemeal pitta bread
Dinner,Some meat and lots of veg done in a slow cooker.
Tea,Bacon and eggs or something similar
Avoid anything that says low fat on it,restrict you intake of carbs,ditch all fizzy pop and fruit juice,try and cut out sugar,avoid processed food,avoid pie's and other rubbish wrapped in pastry,ditch the takeaways
Try to eat simple foods,fill up on veg,use olive oil,eat fresh fruit drink lots of water and try to swop normal spuds for sweet potatoes,as a snack eat a handful of nut's
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1538
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
Surely they're only as good as your GPS signal?
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
And your data plan too, as you'll need GPS on all the time to get an accurate reading from any app you use on your phone, and a good battery in your phone, as running apps of this type do tend to suck the life out of a battery for the amount of time you'll be out on delivery. I found that my battery ended up at about 35-40% by the time we got back to the office, after being out for about 5 hours all told when running the apps I used.Hitcher wrote:Surely they're only as good as your GPS signal?
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
beezet
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
In our office it takes us on a normal day 5 hours walking about 12 miles, but you can add more to that when we add lapsing, its our indoor work that takes less time.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16726
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
Have you got a vegetarian option?DB1100 wrote: A good high protein breakfast such as kippers or boiled eggs.
Mid morning,A chicken breast with some salad,or a chicken sandwich using wholemeal pitta bread
Dinner,Some meat and lots of veg done in a slow cooker.
Tea,Bacon and eggs or something similar
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Rory
- Posts: 90
- Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
Far too minimal and bland for me. How do you not starve/get bored.krussel wrote:I spent the past 5 months working inside on the revision and saw my weight go up by 10 1lbs. Its the odd snacking and sugar in fizzy drinks that gets you plus the walking really give you a hunger so you tend to over eat. Everyone is different but by monitoring what you eat and drink the walking should burn it off. I would not recommend any of the these silly 5 day diets as they are not designed for people walking 8-10 miles a day. If there is any secret i think it lies in the fact that you need to try to balance your calorie intake throughout the day to give your body a better chance of burning it off. I ve been back on delivery for a couple of weeks and have lost a steady 2 1lb a week.wacko74 wrote:Have you got any good tips from your weight control plan?
I seem to have the same eating habits as you... don't have any breakfast or eat anything at all in work as snacking just seems to have the effect of making me feel even more hungry, so I starve myself all day then eat like a b*****d as soon as I get home!
The result being that despite all the exercise I get on the job I've still got a belly.
This is what I try to eat.
Breakfast 4.30am
Cannot really eat anything at this time so have found instant porridge sachets in various flavours with nuts etc which you can mix with milk (or hot water) into a cup and then drink like a thick smoothy. Sounds weird but actually quite nice.
At frame 8am. Fruit.
Normally 2 small oranges. Cold juice.
Meal relief before delivery about 9.20.
Couple of sandwiches and a banana. Cup of tea. Sweetners
Home around 2-2.30pm
Tea and a treat 2x choc biscuits or cake.
Dinner 6pm.
Normally pasta based. Juice or no sugar lemonade. Sat /wed 1/2 bottle of wine.
I ve also been avoiding the odd beer here and there as that goes straight to the gut.
I couldn't wait until 6pm after delivery for a good feed, I'm always really hungry afterwards.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3231
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
Yeah well done you found one supposed 'flaw' when theres thousands of good reviews. It is accurate for me. Ive tested it. For purely walking and going up stairs it is near perfect.clashcityrocker wrote:From a review:Acca Dacca wrote:I have a Fitbit One which is very accurate and I average about 11 miles a day on delivery ( 23,000 steps )
With inline skating the Fitbit surprised me in measuring that activity better than either my Nike or Jawbone bands. With that exercise, while I wasn't stepping, hip movement was still calculated as "steps" that were tracked and turned into calories burned.
Distance is drawn from the steps you take; stairs climbed are based on an altimeter in the device. But that can lead to some funny readings. Last week, I went on a 15-mile bike ride. I got back and discovered I'd "climbed" 40 floors, according to my Fitbit. I hadn't. But I had ridden from sea level up onto some coastal bluffs and back down. The elevation change was translated into floors climbed.
Sounds very accurate...........
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
krussel wrote:I spent the past 5 months working inside on the revision and saw my weight go up by 10 1lbs. Its the odd snacking and sugar in fizzy drinks that gets you plus the walking really give you a hunger so you tend to over eat. Everyone is different but by monitoring what you eat and drink the walking should burn it off. I would not recommend any of the these silly 5 day diets as they are not designed for people walking 8-10 miles a day. If there is any secret i think it lies in the fact that you need to try to balance your calorie intake throughout the day to give your body a better chance of burning it off. I ve been back on delivery for a couple of weeks and have lost a steady 2 1lb a week.wacko74 wrote:Have you got any good tips from your weight control plan?
I seem to have the same eating habits as you... don't have any breakfast or eat anything at all in work as snacking just seems to have the effect of making me feel even more hungry, so I starve myself all day then eat like a b*****d as soon as I get home!
The result being that despite all the exercise I get on the job I've still got a belly.
This is what I try to eat.
Breakfast 4.30am
Cannot really eat anything at this time so have found instant porridge sachets in various flavours with nuts etc which you can mix with milk (or hot water) into a cup and then drink like a thick smoothy. Sounds weird but actually quite nice.
At frame 8am. Fruit.
Normally 2 small oranges. Cold juice.
Meal relief before delivery about 9.20.
Couple of sandwiches and a banana. Cup of tea. Sweetners
Home around 2-2.30pm
Tea and a treat 2x choc biscuits or cake.
Dinner 6pm.
Normally pasta based. Juice or no sugar lemonade. Sat /wed 1/2 bottle of wine.
I ve also been avoiding the odd beer here and there as that goes straight to the gut.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
Rory wrote:How do you not starve/get bored.
I only feel hungry when I finish work and that's the danger time to pick. I ve tried but when I cannot resist something sweet then but try to limit it to couple of biscuits before ive done half a packet. Whilst at work (on the round) I don't think about food.
Getting bored ? Yeah sometimes I fancy a choc bar and a hot chocolate from the machine at work but it never really makes me feel any better. My wife is a great cook and produces most meals from scratch which are very tasty. Me, well I can make bread and that's about it.
I am quite lucky that I am of light build which in this job helps (esp with this new delivery method of weight of the shoulder) over the distance. I cannot physically lift as much as the stocky blokes but not carrying body mass helps stamina as every pound your carrying it around with you.
You have to face facts and the deliveries will (bloody have) become much longer. Personally I think 3hr 30min is pleny enough but they are pushing us 4hr 30min - 5hrs. People are going to have to make some real effort to stay in shape to achieve this amount of walking, the business don't give a damn and will have you out the door.
Other than that I guess you can become a manager and drink Starbucks all day
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Average miles covered by a postman per day?
Hi yah Stokesy how you beenstokes11eg wrote:a few short walks a day LOL
Sleeping any better these days
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........