It's what I've been told by posties themselves. One guy started back in 1987, put on a round and he's been on it ever since. Another one, been a postie for 40 years, and same round for 30. It's these people I'm on about who do the mocking, who have no idea what it's like to come in every day and be put on a job you've never done or been shown before. It happened to me yesterday as well, supposed to be paired up with another guy who knows the round like the back of his hand, but of course with it being a saturday he wants to get off early and not have me so slowing him down so them I'm told I have to go out and do it on my own despite not knowing the round. Needless to say I told the DO I'm cutting off at my time and not going over like I usually do like a mug.dubdaz wrote:As a long timer ish (28 years) I waited 10 till I got my own walk and about another 10 till I got one that was deemed an ok walk.I don't know where you've got the idea that years ago everyone that was new got their own walk!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Just a rant
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
If you have been sent out on your own because your partner wants an early finish then you should put a grievance in or email moya greeneBarbel wrote:It's what I've been told by posties themselves. One guy started back in 1987, put on a round and he's been on it ever since. Another one, been a postie for 40 years, and same round for 30. It's these people I'm on about who do the mocking, who have no idea what it's like to come in every day and be put on a job you've never done or been shown before. It happened to me yesterday as well, supposed to be paired up with another guy who knows the round like the back of his hand, but of course with it being a saturday he wants to get off early and not have me so slowing him down so them I'm told I have to go out and do it on my own despite not knowing the round. Needless to say I told the DO I'm cutting off at my time and not going over like I usually do like a mug.dubdaz wrote:As a long timer ish (28 years) I waited 10 till I got my own walk and about another 10 till I got one that was deemed an ok walk.I don't know where you've got the idea that years ago everyone that was new got their own walk!
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
I agree with Barbel; some posties get lucky and get employed when there is a full time vacancy or where a vacancy suddenly appears within a few months of being in the job... Not every posties stays as a Reserve for years and years...
In my office, we have some posties less than 2 years that have a floating duty with regular days off, we also have 14 years floaters, and up to 9 years on Reserve - with some of them having had walks before...
Even on this site, there was a post from a newish postie (about 8 months) who was employed on a 35-hours contract. Yes, being messed around back in the days of of 2 deliveries is still being messed around but not exactly as 'tasking' as it is these days - even in relative terms. And there was OT being paid if one goes over...
Roll with it - don't let it get you down. Working on your own allows you to work at your own pace and learn quicker... But cutting off might be a good things just to concentrate the manager's mind because if you are too good or too versatile, it can even have negative consequences... GL
In my office, we have some posties less than 2 years that have a floating duty with regular days off, we also have 14 years floaters, and up to 9 years on Reserve - with some of them having had walks before...
Even on this site, there was a post from a newish postie (about 8 months) who was employed on a 35-hours contract. Yes, being messed around back in the days of of 2 deliveries is still being messed around but not exactly as 'tasking' as it is these days - even in relative terms. And there was OT being paid if one goes over...
Roll with it - don't let it get you down. Working on your own allows you to work at your own pace and learn quicker... But cutting off might be a good things just to concentrate the manager's mind because if you are too good or too versatile, it can even have negative consequences... GL
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
Prepping a frame you didn't know without the benefit of sequenced mail was less "tasking"?chrisj wrote:Yes, being messed around back in the days of of 2 deliveries is still being messed around but not exactly as 'tasking' as it is these days - even in relative terms.
Going out on a delivery you didn't know without a partner or a van was less "tasking"?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Just a rant
Regularly been on what I call mystery walks
Have either cut off or booked the of
Luckily my line manager is understanding(usually,allowed a grumpy day occasionally)
Worked for another lino in same office,lasted a week
Conversation went like this
Me....I'll b over again today
Lino.....why?
Me.....never been trained on walk,frame doesn't match whats on the street,new build etc,many other reasons.
Lino.....how long you been here?
Me...x months
Lino.I'm not buying that you need ot then.
Me.I'm not selling it to you I'm telling you that without proper methods and training I'll either follow the opg procedure for cutting off or book ot
Lino...we are going round in circles.
Me....with no disrespect to yourself or your position in this company I feel you are not as approachable as a manager should be..
Moved back to the other section and never been back
I can see how b and h takes place

Have either cut off or booked the of
Luckily my line manager is understanding(usually,allowed a grumpy day occasionally)
Worked for another lino in same office,lasted a week
Conversation went like this
Me....I'll b over again today
Lino.....why?
Me.....never been trained on walk,frame doesn't match whats on the street,new build etc,many other reasons.
Lino.....how long you been here?
Me...x months
Lino.I'm not buying that you need ot then.
Me.I'm not selling it to you I'm telling you that without proper methods and training I'll either follow the opg procedure for cutting off or book ot
Lino...we are going round in circles.
Me....with no disrespect to yourself or your position in this company I feel you are not as approachable as a manager should be..
Moved back to the other section and never been back
I can see how b and h takes place
I won
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
The assumption now is that everyone goes out with a partner (and that, of course has its challenges... And non-sequenced mail made the job more tasking (a little bit more 'challenging' to get going straightaway but it depends on the walk but one gets one's eyes in - in time.
I used 'tasking' deliberately for the job as a whole - especially for the delivery side ergo two deliveries... with the second delivery not being that much...
You can disagree with my notion that the job is more tasking than in the days of 2 deliveries - and that was a long time ago - but that is what I am going for. Even the use of the bikes make (some still use them) the job less tasking than having to walk all the way round these days - even with a van.
I am siding with Barbel because some people makes the assumption that everyone was a reserve for years before becoming a walkholder - it is blatantly not true. And she gave the examples of the very long term posties that want to take the mick; back in them days the job was less tasking on the body and even mind.
I used 'tasking' deliberately for the job as a whole - especially for the delivery side ergo two deliveries... with the second delivery not being that much...
You can disagree with my notion that the job is more tasking than in the days of 2 deliveries - and that was a long time ago - but that is what I am going for. Even the use of the bikes make (some still use them) the job less tasking than having to walk all the way round these days - even with a van.
I am siding with Barbel because some people makes the assumption that everyone was a reserve for years before becoming a walkholder - it is blatantly not true. And she gave the examples of the very long term posties that want to take the mick; back in them days the job was less tasking on the body and even mind.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
Very few reserves did second deliveries, they would return to the office to sort mail and part-timers certainly didn't, they finished when the first delivery finished, the delivery span was shorter but the indoor job was more physical as we had to cut and tip all the mail before sorting it and in the early days before tail lifts and yorks the bags had to be handballed directly off the back of the lorry.chrisj wrote:I used 'tasking' deliberately for the job as a whole - especially for the delivery side ergo two deliveries... with the second delivery not being that much...
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
Here's my two pence worth. I started in the early 80s. Five years floating do lates ,earlies six day spare. Working this or that office. I now have a rural that takes five hours end to end although on paper it takes 4.5. Lapsing mon, tues.
So don't worry newbies do your time . It gets better in the end!
So don't worry newbies do your time . It gets better in the end!
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
So we the job was much harder back in the days...
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... m.php?f=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (there are some interesting topics over here)
With this Reserve issue, people often put themselves in the argument or discussion: even if it did not happen in your office, it does happen in some offices that some people come in straight as a full timers and with have own walks. And that is the examples the poster gave - he/she never said everyone had their own walks on being employed.
The other thing is that offices can be differently set up - not every office has to tip and sort and so on... some even had night sorters
Working 6 days a week is not a big deal if the job is not as physically tasking - some people still work 6 days a week under the current climate: some on Wallington and some consistently work their days off. I have not been at RM that long as I used to be able to do 2 walks on the same day and even work most of my days off including saturdays.
The Ironic thing is that 'I do not know that walk' is an excuse given by some walkholders when they insist on doing their own round when they come in on their days off. Yet, a newish Reserve can be moved at the last moment with less time to do homework or research and then in the current climate, they are still bullied into not cutting off or getting OT when they struggle.
This is not about the old days but what transpires nowadays with B&H, work load and very disagreeable managers - add lapsing to that as well...
It appears that Barbel is getting a rough deal - not just from the managers but fellow posties: some kind of psychological bullying, mocking and ostracising...
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... m.php?f=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (there are some interesting topics over here)
With this Reserve issue, people often put themselves in the argument or discussion: even if it did not happen in your office, it does happen in some offices that some people come in straight as a full timers and with have own walks. And that is the examples the poster gave - he/she never said everyone had their own walks on being employed.
The other thing is that offices can be differently set up - not every office has to tip and sort and so on... some even had night sorters
Working 6 days a week is not a big deal if the job is not as physically tasking - some people still work 6 days a week under the current climate: some on Wallington and some consistently work their days off. I have not been at RM that long as I used to be able to do 2 walks on the same day and even work most of my days off including saturdays.
The Ironic thing is that 'I do not know that walk' is an excuse given by some walkholders when they insist on doing their own round when they come in on their days off. Yet, a newish Reserve can be moved at the last moment with less time to do homework or research and then in the current climate, they are still bullied into not cutting off or getting OT when they struggle.
This is not about the old days but what transpires nowadays with B&H, work load and very disagreeable managers - add lapsing to that as well...
It appears that Barbel is getting a rough deal - not just from the managers but fellow posties: some kind of psychological bullying, mocking and ostracising...
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Just a rant
As usual Chris you are missing the point. The job wasn't necessarily harder back in the day it just had different challenges to now. Sorting prepping etc. Walk sequencing machines didn't exist, everything had to be done manually. But you carry on banging your drum about how easy we all had it before and how hard reserves have it now as that seems to be all you can believe. Perhaps if you had been in the job back in the day when you think it was so easy, you would see that it wasn't quite as cushy as you like to think! 
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
chrisj wrote:So we the job was much harder back in the days...![]()
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... m.php?f=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (there are some interesting topics over here)
With this Reserve issue, people often put themselves in the argument or discussion: even if it did not happen in your office, it does happen in some offices that some people come in straight as a full timers and with have own walks. And that is the examples the poster gave - he/she never said everyone had their own walks on being employed.
The other thing is that offices can be differently set up - not every office has to tip and sort and so on... some even had night sorters
Working 6 days a week is not a big deal if the job is not as physically tasking - some people still work 6 days a week under the current climate: some on Wallington and some consistently work their days off. I have not been at RM that long as I used to be able to do 2 walks on the same day and even work most of my days off including saturdays.
The Ironic thing is that 'I do not know that walk' is an excuse given by some walkholders when they insist on doing their own round when they come in on their days off. Yet, a newish Reserve can be moved at the last moment with less time to do homework or research and then in the current climate, they are still bullied into not cutting off or getting OT when they struggle.
This is not about the old days but what transpires nowadays with B&H, work load and very disagreeable managers - add lapsing to that as well...
It appears that Barbel is getting a rough deal - not just from the managers but fellow posties: some kind of psychological bullying, mocking and ostracising...![]()
To be honest with you Chris I do feel like I'm being bullied a little bit and it's getting to the point now I dread going in. It's a shame because I loved it for the first year but it seems to have gone downhill since after Xmas when they took me off a floating round I was doing for 6 months and which I enjoyed. I see people there who take the P left right centre, come in late all the time and have lots of time off sick yet nothing ever gets said. I've never been late, had time off and I've always worked my hardest yet I just feel like they're taking the mick. At this place if you're in with the managers you get an easy ride regardless of whether you work hard or not, if you keep yourself to yourself and work hard you get walked all over. I know it's like this at most work places but you do get to the point of thinking why do I bother busting a gut when nobody else seems to.
-
tasam
- Posts: 202
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 15:49
Re: Just a rant
That's probably occurring in all offices to some extent.I see people there who take the P left right centre, come in late all the time and have lots of time off sick yet nothing ever gets said. I've never been late, had time off and I've always worked my hardest yet I just feel like they're taking the mick. At this place if you're in with the managers you get an easy ride regardless of whether you work hard or not, if you keep yourself to yourself and work hard you get walked all over. I know it's like this at most work places but you do get to the point of thinking why do I bother busting a gut when nobody else seems to.
There'll always be the favorites who are untouchable and who will get away with anything. Then there's everyone else who work themselves into the ground to get the job done.
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
Lets leave your status as a Reserve aside, it looks like you are sort of struggling to cope... I feel for you and I do understand.
However, you have been doing this job for quite a while now and if you have survived this long then you should know a lot more about how things work - and then take the attitude that 'it is water off a duck's back'; thicker skin needed...
I do support you but you have had at least 6 months as a floater (5 rounds?) - and that was more than people used to have even back 3 years or so ago before Shared Van and P&L. Apart from some odd partner and the refusniks, paired working has made learning new rounds easier but also exposes people to more personal banter or mocking but that is not always a bad thing...
You will need to tough it out and forget the people taking the mick - some of it is just banter (we all do it - even I take the mick out of guys with easier rounds; just to make myself feel better and take off some pressure...).
If you have a clean record of attendance and you are seriously feeling low - you can take a week off for stress (because you are probably a little stressed). However, 14 days within a certain period will trigger a stage warning and you should make sure you are in control and not let actual deep stress or depression take hold. What I mean is that, if you take a week off - you are 'sticking it' to the 'man' rather than actually breaking down and needing a week or more off.
Try and speak (pester) to the manager often to know what you are doing for the week or next day - just tell him or her that you need to do research or homework on some rounds and need to know if people are going to refuse to work with you in a pair; so that you can know a little more about the round instead of coming in cold - like last saturday.
Good luck. Enjoy your days off and holidays - it is only work and we all need the money. Best not to take a sickie anyway.
However, you have been doing this job for quite a while now and if you have survived this long then you should know a lot more about how things work - and then take the attitude that 'it is water off a duck's back'; thicker skin needed...
I do support you but you have had at least 6 months as a floater (5 rounds?) - and that was more than people used to have even back 3 years or so ago before Shared Van and P&L. Apart from some odd partner and the refusniks, paired working has made learning new rounds easier but also exposes people to more personal banter or mocking but that is not always a bad thing...
You will need to tough it out and forget the people taking the mick - some of it is just banter (we all do it - even I take the mick out of guys with easier rounds; just to make myself feel better and take off some pressure...).
If you have a clean record of attendance and you are seriously feeling low - you can take a week off for stress (because you are probably a little stressed). However, 14 days within a certain period will trigger a stage warning and you should make sure you are in control and not let actual deep stress or depression take hold. What I mean is that, if you take a week off - you are 'sticking it' to the 'man' rather than actually breaking down and needing a week or more off.
Try and speak (pester) to the manager often to know what you are doing for the week or next day - just tell him or her that you need to do research or homework on some rounds and need to know if people are going to refuse to work with you in a pair; so that you can know a little more about the round instead of coming in cold - like last saturday.
Good luck. Enjoy your days off and holidays - it is only work and we all need the money. Best not to take a sickie anyway.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a rant
chrisj wrote:Lets leave your status as a Reserve aside, it looks like you are sort of struggling to cope... I feel for you and I do understand.
However, you have been doing this job for quite a while now and if you have survived this long then you should know a lot more about how things work - and then take the attitude that 'it is water off a duck's back'; thicker skin needed...
I do support you but you have had at least 6 months as a floater (5 rounds?) - and that was more than people used to have even back 3 years or so ago before Shared Van and P&L. Apart from some odd partner and the refusniks, paired working has made learning new rounds easier but also exposes people to more personal banter or mocking but that is not always a bad thing...
You will need to tough it out and forget the people taking the mick - some of it is just banter (we all do it - even I take the mick out of guys with easier rounds; just to make myself feel better and take off some pressure...).
If you have a clean record of attendance and you are seriously feeling low - you can take a week off for stress (because you are probably a little stressed). However, 14 days within a certain period will trigger a stage warning and you should make sure you are in control and not let actual deep stress or depression take hold. What I mean is that, if you take a week off - you are 'sticking it' to the 'man' rather than actually breaking down and needing a week or more off.
Try and speak (pester) to the manager often to know what you are doing for the week or next day - just tell him or her that you need to do research or homework on some rounds and need to know if people are going to refuse to work with you in a pair; so that you can know a little more about the round instead of coming in cold - like last saturday.
Good luck. Enjoy your days off and holidays - it is only work and we all need the money. Best not to take a sickie anyway.
Thanks for your reply Chris, I'm not feeling that bad and there's no way I'd take time off for depression and stress. Most of the time I do let things go over my head, but it just annoys me sometimes the way they do things and I don't feel like I can say anything to anyone as I'm on this temporary contract so they've basically got me by the balls and I have to keep my gob shut for now. I do generally love the job but sometimes have to let off steam and this is the only place I can do it where people understand. Thanks everyone for your replies, onwards and upwards from now on.