ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

the over 50's

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by borgpicard »

whos gonna be the first to take them to court for ageism ??? :nana :nana :nana :nana
N1-22postman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 68
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 08:31
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by N1-22postman »

Mismatch of partners age/speed on P&L can be a problem.I am 62 and my partner is 57 and we are similar speed but we still lose 15 to 20 minutes a day over 6 loops waiting in the van for one or the other to return.If I was with a young "runner" time lost waiting in the van would be even more. Taking the weight off the shoulder and using a trolley is better for the older person T but pulling it up any sort of slope with 2 bags loaded is hard and loading the trolley on and off the van has to be done with care so as not to do your back in.P&L will create different wear and tear problems and worsening eyesight and going to the loo more often means the older you are in this job the harder it gets.After 37 years delivering I can`t wait to retire.You must plan your retirement to be as early as because the job now is not much fun and Royal Mail don`t care how old you are.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: the over 50's

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I'd be more concerned with the fact that the retirement age keeps going up.

It is now at 68.
Can you imagine being able to do a delivery then?
And retirement ages will no doubt rise again.

Only the company going belly up might save our health.... :whistle
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
DICK43
Posts: 68
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:58
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by DICK43 »

I hope there isn`t a hell, because, I want to rest when I`m dead!, I`ve really deserved it!!.. :shhhhh
Toby Tyke
Posts: 97
Joined: 21 Mar 2008, 14:06

Re: the over 50's

Post by Toby Tyke »

My brother in law is 64. He retired at 60 after 25 years in the job as a walker.
He had one knee replaced a couple of years ago and has just had the other replaced this week.
That's what we have to look forward to. :arrrghhh
Charlie99
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by Charlie99 »

Joined at 40, thought the outdoor exercise was great. Always seemed to get put on walks that had steep hills and lots of stairs. Never had a problem fitness wise and cycled to my delivery point daily. As 50 arrived I noticed that I was becoming increasingly out of breath and was absolutely whacked out and needed to have an afternoon nap when I got home from work. At 52 I had a massive heart attack which i was lucky to survive but have returned to duty albeit in a reduced capacity. My advice to all would be not to ignore your bodys warning signals. You, unlike me may not get a second chance.
baleout
Posts: 122
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by baleout »

Sorry but if you can't cope and you are only 50 then you just are not fit.

Too be honest though I have heard some youngsters moan that it's too much.
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by newtimes »

baleout wrote:Sorry but if you can't cope and you are only 50 then you just are not fit.

Too be honest though I have heard some youngsters moan that it's too much.
Bit of a sweeping statement, on a different delivery and its so easy compared with my last round. Still got to do the old round some times and struggle to do it.
stephenb19578
Posts: 52
Joined: 27 Nov 2012, 22:35
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by stephenb19578 »

borgpicard wrote:whos gonna be the first to take them to court for ageism ??? :nana :nana :nana :nana
Thats a valid point, can people who have got 6 weeks maximum leave entitlement buy up to 2 weeks more as new entrants are able to do. It pays for itself and would help part timers to go full time during the time taken off.
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8937
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by blue1873 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lincox wrote:I am 63 coming on 64 and still able to do a 4/4.5hour delivery because still using a bike. The CWU should never have agreed to bring in a delivery system that takes weight off the shoulder (assuming correct delivery methods used) and then distributes pressure and strain to the rest of the body. It is a disgrace to the health and safety system. Thank god I will only have to engage in this stupid park and loop system for a max of 1 year.
My word Linc that's some experience with bikes, any tips on how to keep it serviced :whistle
Keeping it well lubricated is a good starting point,........Fnarr Fnarr.. :crazy:
DICK43
Posts: 68
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:58
Gender: Male

Re: the over 50's

Post by DICK43 »

Charlie99 wrote:Joined at 40, thought the outdoor exercise was great. Always seemed to get put on walks that had steep hills and lots of stairs. Never had a problem fitness wise and cycled to my delivery point daily. As 50 arrived I noticed that I was becoming increasingly out of breath and was absolutely whacked out and needed to have an afternoon nap when I got home from work. At 52 I had a massive heart attack which i was lucky to survive but have returned to duty albeit in a reduced capacity. My advice to all would be not to ignore your bodys warning signals. You, unlike me may not get a second chance.


You went back?....