ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bring back Driving Allowance

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by chrisj »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Because they have to have time for van checks, retrieving and signing for keys etc.
The "idea" was that the driver performs the vehicle check while the non-driver loads the van and both are "supposed" to sign for their keys individually.
Our vans are parked in a multi-storey car par and it takes bout 10-15 minutes to retrieve the van depending on traffic on a busy high street at about 9.00 am onwards... the same amount of time to park the van and retrieve your car (swap). Then you have getting fuel and the rest...

The last time I was to pump the tyres, it took ages because we do not have float money anymore; so after going to the office, then the manager - got loose change from his pocket... out on delivery, partner goes home and I have to drive to petrol station, pump tyres, return van to car park, swapped car and return to office to hand over the keys...

And our loops are exactly the same - sometimes interchangeable depending who I am working with... Include having to drive to some rurals parts or super long drives sometimes with oversized packets and generally running around to be back for partner...
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by OnAFlyer »

clashcityrocker wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
Hitcher wrote:You've got less prep and smaller loops and to quote our office "You signed for it!" :wink:
Why should drivers have less prep? :hmmmm
Because they have to have time for van checks, retrieving and signing for keys etc.
What's the etc? Signing for keys takes 2 minutes max, van checks a couple of minutes a day and 10-15 minutes once per week, on a Tuesday if you have any sense so plenty of time anyway.

I'm a driver and don't do any less prep, we have an odd final loop that we'll split if van packets are light or the walker will do it if packets are heavy. We usually catch most of them on the way past in between loops though.

I work with a mate though so we're not constantly trying to offload work onto each other like some pairs do.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3231
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by Acca Dacca »

Im a non driver and think that Drivers should get paid more.

They are more likely to put the passenger wage down than the drivers up though
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by PhilthyPhil »

We just take it in turns to do the driving. Makes it a bit less boring too :)
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by arnold cheshire »

PhilthyPhil wrote:We just take it in turns to do the driving. Makes it a bit less boring too :)
whats that got to do with driving allowance ?
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by PhilthyPhil »

It ensures that on average you both have even workload so there is no arguement that one works harder than the other.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Daily van checks, done properly, take way more than two minutes. Duty checks I'd accept take two minutes.

Signing for keys can take up to 10 minutes in my unit. Well, waiting to get to the front of the queue does, anyway.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by Caniel »

I saved a few hundred quid on my car insurance when I said I was a professionally trained driver, had access to a company vehicle excluding personal use and was on the company insurance policy. That's one perk of being a RM driver.
Hitcher
Posts: 1538
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by Hitcher »

Professionally trained by who?
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by krussel »

There was a time long ago when driving for RM was a premium. You were known as a postman / driver and received the mentioned £6 per week. Does not sound a lot now but this was when our take home pay was just over a £100.

Now I feel a van duty is a burden. Loads more parcels and tracks, slaughtered at xmas etc. More responsibility with checks. Worse is if you happen to be involved in any accident your personal car insurance increases for 5 years.

Nah not for me any more hence I picked a HCT for the last two times.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by Caniel »

Hitcher wrote:Professionally trained by who?
By RM, you have to be "trained" before you can drive for RM. Who cares if that training is an hour driving round town in a van with a driving instructor, I can prove it took place and it shows I'm competent enough to drive a long wheelbase high top van or a 7.5 ton lorry in the eyes of my employer. That sorta stuff counts and it saved me money on my car insurance.

The door swings both ways, by driving for RM I run the risk of having an accident that could impact my insurance premium. It's only fair in my eyes if I use the fact that I drive as part of my job to show that I'm a competent driver and get a discount on my premium.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by arnold cheshire »

krussel wrote:There was a time long ago when driving for RM was a premium. You were known as a postman / driver and received the mentioned £6 per week. Does not sound a lot now but this was when our take home pay was just over a £100.

Now I feel a van duty is a burden. Loads more parcels and tracks, slaughtered at xmas etc. More responsibility with checks. Worse is if you happen to be involved in any accident your personal car insurance increases for 5 years.

Nah not for me any more hence I picked a HCT for the last two times.
it was ten pound before that
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by arnold cheshire »

Caniel wrote:I saved a few hundred quid on my car insurance when I said I was a professionally trained driver, had access to a company vehicle excluding personal use and was on the company insurance policy. That's one perk of being a RM driver.
you wont be insured then
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by Caniel »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
Caniel wrote:I saved a few hundred quid on my car insurance when I said I was a professionally trained driver, had access to a company vehicle excluding personal use and was on the company insurance policy. That's one perk of being a RM driver.
you wont be insured then
Yes I am, I cleared this all with my insurer.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Bring back Driving Allowance

Post by arnold cheshire »

Caniel wrote:
bringon4dayweeks wrote:
Caniel wrote:I saved a few hundred quid on my car insurance when I said I was a professionally trained driver, had access to a company vehicle excluding personal use and was on the company insurance policy. That's one perk of being a RM driver.
you wont be insured then
Yes I am, I cleared this all with my insurer.
i think police professionally trained driving courses or driving instructor courses are different