ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

HRS/finance ops lump sum

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
snipanchor
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 08:22
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by snipanchor »

OnAFlyer wrote:
snipanchor wrote:To cashcityrocker, I would love to ear your views on full timers being shafted, has I am a part timer and I bet I get shafted more than you. What about Xmas when full timers received a bigger pay out than us because we are pro rata (bull) but still did the same hours has full timers.
If you did full time hours leading up to Christmas then you got the full £100 Christmas bonus. Anything else wasn't a Christmas bonus hence paid pro rata. Don't forget full timers started off part time too.
but do full timers get shafted about being sent to different offices 10-20 miles away? I am pretty certain most of them tell the managers to do one. Where as part timers are pressured more to do this because of their crappy little contracts.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by fishtank »

snipanchor wrote:but do full timers get shafted about being sent to different offices 10-20 miles away? I am pretty certain most of them tell the managers to do one. Where as part timers are pressured more to do this because of their crappy little contracts.
A lot of people confuse length of service with contract length.
The agreement to work in other offices states "volunteers or reserves".
Well you don't really get many volunteers so it's down to reserves and in most offices most of the part-timers are junior members and reserves so it isn't really the length of contract that is sending them to other offices but their position in the office.

In a lot of cases part-time members feel they are being singled out because they are part-time when they are actually being singled out because they are junior members of staff.
That doesn't necessarily make it any better but it is more factual.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
snipanchor
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 08:22
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by snipanchor »

fishtank wrote:
snipanchor wrote:but do full timers get shafted about being sent to different offices 10-20 miles away? I am pretty certain most of them tell the managers to do one. Where as part timers are pressured more to do this because of their crappy little contracts.
A lot of people confuse length of service with contract length.
The agreement to work in other offices states "volunteers or reserves".
Well you don't really get many volunteers so it's down to reserves and in most offices most of the part-timers are junior members and reserves so it isn't really the length of contract that is sending them to other offices but their position in the office.

In a lot of cases part-time members feel they are being singled out because they are part-time when they are actually being singled out because they are junior members of staff.
That doesn't necessarily make it any better but it is more factual.
Why don't they make it so everybody has a turn in going including full timers, probably because a lot of full timers would kick up a fuss about it. I personally don't see the difference if some one has been at Royal Mail 40 years or 2 years. It's 2014 and not like it was years ago.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by clashcityrocker »

Actually it would make more sense to send a full-timer as the longer contracted day would mean completion of the duty was more likely, rather than use a part-timer on a shorter day whose hours are eaten up by travelling.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
snipanchor
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 08:22
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by snipanchor »

clashcityrocker wrote:Actually it would make more sense to send a full-timer as the longer contracted day would mean completion of the duty was more likely, rather than use a part-timer on a shorter day whose hours are eaten up by travelling.
Exactly, I was sent to another office once and basically I got there and I said to the manager straight away I've got to be heading back to my own office for 13:00 because I finish at 14:00 so needed to be back at my office to finish on my break. I was in a stinking mood and couldn't be bothered with them taking the micky and trying to make me complete a duty that I didn't have a clue on or know the area. He looked at me like I was being a right so and so. And so i did exactly that, But unfortunately that's how you've got to be with them otherwise they will just have you out til 4,5,6 at night.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:Actually it would make more sense to send a full-timer as the longer contracted day would mean completion of the duty was more likely, rather than use a part-timer on a shorter day whose hours are eaten up by travelling.
It would make sense other than the fact that someone would need to cover the full-timer's duty which unless you want to absorb their indoor work means making a part-timer up to full-time which kind of makes the whole process pointless on a purely financial basis.

You could send a full-time reserve assuming your office has one but again in a properly resourced office apart from exceptional circumstances a full-time reserve should be covering a full-time duty so what do you do with the missing indoor time?

You could if there is scope lapse a duty and send that person to another office but most offices have fixed lapsing duties and these duty holders get screwed around enough.

The bottom line is you should only be sending staff to another office if you have excess resource and as long as no one is working their day off the excess is in the reserve pool.
I would definitely send anyone working their day off to another office though.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
snipanchor
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 08:22
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by snipanchor »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:Actually it would make more sense to send a full-timer as the longer contracted day would mean completion of the duty was more likely, rather than use a part-timer on a shorter day whose hours are eaten up by travelling.
It would make sense other than the fact that someone would need to cover the full-timer's duty which unless you want to absorb their indoor work means making a part-timer up to full-time which kind of makes the whole process pointless on a purely financial basis.

You could send a full-time reserve assuming your office has one but again in a properly resourced office apart from exceptional circumstances a full-time reserve should be covering a full-time duty so what do you do with the missing indoor time?

You could if there is scope lapse a duty and send that person to another office but most offices have fixed lapsing duties and these duty holders get screwed around enough.

The bottom line is you should only be sending staff to another office if you have excess resource and as long as no one is working their day off the excess is in the reserve pool.
I would definitely send anyone working their day off to another office though.
Can't say I agree with the duty side of things myself, why not rotate the whole office or something to stop bickering about walks being bigger than the others. People getting back sooner than others etc. Then everybody gets a shot at a so called tough duty and a so called easy duty. I understand a big office might struggle to do this but must be something that can be done. Just don't get why joe blogs has to have that duty, it's his duty and nobody else is ever going to have it til he dies.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by chrisj »

I think an office can get away with covering a full time indoor time - because that in essence is the main difference between the 30+ hours part-timer...

But an office should really not have someone in on their day off if not needed - ideally; but people do not return from sickness absence sometimes unexpectedly...

And I agree that person should be sent to another office but we all know that a few people that come in on their day's off are not even ready to move to another round; and certainly not go to another office. * Tbh, I will rather go back home myself - not that desperate.

Another thing, Reserves (Ft or Pt) in my office sometimes cover any walk (Ft, Pt(32 or 27.5)); regardless of their contract. But the more senior reserves (FT) tend to just cover FT rounds. *A Ft staff covering a 32.5 hrs might even end working with another FT staff and not have to double-prep; and that is a result...
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote:
The bottom line is you should only be sending staff to another office if you have excess resource and as long as no one is working their day off the excess is in the reserve pool.
Office A is down one walk but nobody wants to do it on overtime.
Office B is level but has a lot of docket queens.
So office B sends a body to office A and puts a duty up for overtime.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:Office A is down one walk but nobody wants to do it on overtime.
Office B is level but has a lot of docket queens.
So office B sends a body to office A and puts a duty up for overtime.
I don't think many reps would agree to a member being taken off his duty against his will,moved to another office and his duty going to the docket queens on OT.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Paxton
Posts: 10
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 16:29
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by Paxton »

Still 26p. Still don't know why I received this amazing sum though.

Lincox, I'm thinking of buying some more shares in just under three years (if I haven't been laid off or forced out)! rather than investing in a stamp. How many shares do you reckon I could get for 12/6ish?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by Lincox »

Depends on the share price at the time Pax, but going on the same parameters as the colleague shares I wouldn,t waste your hard earnt money. Get yourself a bottle of rub for those worn out knees.
gretsch-drummer
Posts: 16
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 21:35
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by gretsch-drummer »

Just got my weeks wage slip today and I've been deducted £37 (HRS/Finance)...

Anyone able to shed any light on why I've been charged?
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by OnAFlyer »

snipanchor wrote:
Can't say I agree with the duty side of things myself, why not rotate the whole office or something to stop bickering about walks being bigger than the others. People getting back sooner than others etc. Then everybody gets a shot at a so called tough duty and a so called easy duty. I understand a big office might struggle to do this but must be something that can be done. Just don't get why joe blogs has to have that duty, it's his duty and nobody else is ever going to have it til he dies.
I take it you haven't got much time in then. What do you think all the FT staff did when they started? Same as you, PT and leave reserves. Seniority and the chance to pick a duty you like is about the only thing you get for being at RM for decades, if you stay long enough you'll realise that.

As for working your day off and being sent to another office, nobody in my office on OT would go, they'd just go home instead.
Skull21
Posts: 15
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: HRS/finance ops lump sum

Post by Skull21 »

Anyone else get 2 pay slips?