ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
-
geordie04
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 18 Jan 2010, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
To me you have done nothing wrong if a dog was coming for me I would boot it aswell
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
you did right mate, I have done so in the past and will not hesitate to so again. the dog was only doing what dogs do naturally so by defending yourself you are doing the same.
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
Ive made friends with the dogs on my round now, amazing what a differance it makes to their behaviour.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: I Booted a Dog Today
According to your own description you were not attacked by any dogs.Tuffers-1875 wrote:You think being attacked by 2 dogs is fun??
I growl at him and he legs it. Next thing I know he's got his mate with him, both growling and stuff about 3 feet from me.
You may have felt threatened but you were not attacked and if the customer were to make a complaint you would have to justify your actions to the police.The one came too close and I swung my foot at it and caught him good and proper. He went backwards into a brick wall.
That justification would have to be based on how real the threat was, the size and breed of the dog and whether escape was a reasonable option. They would expect the use of force to be the last resort if no other options were available.
If you can genuinely say that was the case then you did the right thing, If you can't then you didn't and as for the poster(not you) who chased the dog before kicking it...well that's someone with issues that would be best addressed by a professional.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
alongjourneyhome
- Posts: 38
- Joined: 21 Nov 2012, 18:24
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
Little Jack Russell, had a few nips at me a while back on my old round & gave me a gash once. It came at me one day when the owner was round the corner & a swift volley soon sorted it out. The owner could never understand why it never came near me ever again! 
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
They are just dogs! They are territorial! I've been around a long time and been bitten more times than I can remember and have never retaliated. Why would I it's a dumb animal whereas as we are supposed to be intelligent. The perceived threat is the snarling and barking - our equivalent of shouting, would you kick every load mouthed yob you come across - of course not, but a creature 6 inches from the floor 
-
Ralph Wiggum
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
Volley the damn things as hard as you can if they ever come at you. Its self defence, you've done nothing wrong, ignore the DO GOODERS on here who whine on about the police etc...
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
just my tuppence worth 

-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
The do gooders are offering advice - your advice if followed could end up with someone in Jail and out of a job.Ralph Wiggum wrote:Volley the damn things as hard as you can if they ever come at you. Its self defence, you've done nothing wrong, ignore the DO GOODERS on here who whine on about the police etc...
Also thanks for ignoring my post - you have just reinforced the DM readers stereotype of a postie,
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
some of these people on here must be animal activists or some shite like that. why would you not defend yourself if you think your gonna get attacked.
or do you wait until the dog has taken a chunk out of you then its too late
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
then the owner says 'ooooh its never done that before' yeh right
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72767
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
There are also some on here that don't understand what is recognised as self defence.
You can do anything to protect yourself as long as the force used is reasonable in the circumstances.
Posting on a forum what you would do if a dog came at you is pre-meditated, and premeditated actions are not considered reasonable in a case of self defence.
The dog coming at you is also not reason enough for claiming self defence. Only if you perceive yourself to be in danger of harm would kicking a dog be considered reasonable force.
You can do anything to protect yourself as long as the force used is reasonable in the circumstances.
Posting on a forum what you would do if a dog came at you is pre-meditated, and premeditated actions are not considered reasonable in a case of self defence.
The dog coming at you is also not reason enough for claiming self defence. Only if you perceive yourself to be in danger of harm would kicking a dog be considered reasonable force.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
We've got dogs on our walks that bounce off the hedges and gates trying to get to us, I'm pretty certain they aren't going to be 'making friends' with us anytime soon.sophie97 wrote:Ive made friends with the dogs on my round now, amazing what a differance it makes to their behaviour.
-
sophie97
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 15:10
- Gender: Female
Re: I Kicked a Dog in self defence Today
OnAFlyer wrote:We've got dogs on our walks that bounce off the hedges and gates trying to get to us, I'm pretty certain they aren't going to be 'making friends' with us anytime soon.sophie97 wrote:Ive made friends with the dogs on my round now, amazing what a differance it makes to their behaviour.
You say that, and some are lost causes, however one dog in particular, used to try and break down the window, after being introduced a few times, it now runs to the door, doesnt make a sound, and simply wags its tail if it sees me.
-
dav1524
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 14:12
- Gender: Male
Re: I Booted a Dog Today
So its cruel to defend yourself,but ok for the dog to rip your leg offboo634 wrote:I think thats cruel mate just my opinionB