ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Promotion
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
DVB I am sorry that you did misread what was a snide remark about what qualifies someone to be a manager within RM.
I accept that this was a misread and no harm done.
I accept that this was a misread and no harm done.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Sorry Lincox I should have known betterLincox wrote:DVB I am sorry that you did misread what was a snide remark about what qualifies someone to be a manager within RM.
I accept that this was a misread and no harm done.
-
Northlander
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
I think I've learnt a lot and since I have over 18 years previous management experience with blue chip companies I would suggest I know more than some. I'm also a qualified performance manager (business).dvbuk55 wrote:Northlander wrote:Si I've been a postie for over 6 weeks now, i think it's time I started looking for promotion.
So how do I find out what internal jobs are available ?
Promotion? You need to learn a thing or two first.
In your opinion what are the things I need to learn.
To be honest the thread was a little tongue in cheek but it's good to get some feedback and hey if there are promotions available I'd rather have them than someone else. It shouldn't matter that the someone else has been here for 10 years it should be the most qualified person for the job surely ?
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Northlander wrote:I think I've learnt a lot and since I have over 18 years previous management experience with blue chip companies I would suggest I know more than some. I'm also a qualified performance manager (business).dvbuk55 wrote:Northlander wrote:Si I've been a postie for over 6 weeks now, i think it's time I started looking for promotion.
So how do I find out what internal jobs are available ?
Promotion? You need to learn a thing or two first.
In your opinion what are the things I need to learn.
To be honest the thread was a little tongue in cheek but it's good to get some feedback and hey if there are promotions available I'd rather have them than someone else. It shouldn't matter that the someone else has been here for 10 years it should be the most qualified person for the job surely ?
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Why have you therefore come in as a postie? It is usually because someone is looking for a role with a lot less pressure and easing their way towards retirement.
-
Northlander
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
It's a few reasons really, obviously money wasn't one of them!Lincox wrote:Why have you therefore come in as a postie? It is usually because someone is looking for a role with a lot less pressure and easing their way towards retirement.
I've worked in high pressure jobs since I left school and was looking for a job where once I clocked out I didn't need to think about the job again until I clocked back in the next day, my wife is still in a high pressure sales role and works away often so I wanted something local and the current part time hours are ok so I see a bit more of my two teenagers, I was away quite a bit when they were younger.
It's good to be outdoors all my other jobs have been office based.
Of course that competative and target driven background is hard to subdue and hence the search for promotion, to be honest I don't think anyone thought I would stick it which is probably why they took two of us on, funny but the other guy walked out week 3.
Of course I don't mention my background to anyone it's not important and what I did previously has no bearing on being a postie anyway, I just hope my frail, soft office bound body can cope, I've been aching in places I didn't know could ache
-
Skull21
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Get out now, Royal Mail is a dead-end, Go to uni if you wanna end up working a proper job with a respectable company!
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Promotion
Northlander, whilst you're on the way up, spare a thought for those who make an effort to help you along that journey.
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
I also worked with several blue chip companies and in high pressure roles. Personally I could not wait to get out as soon as a decent deal was offered. With these companies you are only as good as the work/sales that you achieve that day. Tomorrow is another day and if it is not quite as successful they conveniently forget yesterday. Unfortunately the last few years Royal Mail have jumped on the pressure bandwagon and what was a decent reasonable paid job for the work involved, has now become a fight to remain fit enough in your latter years to cope with what is being asked. Fortunately 2014 is my last year.Northlander wrote:It's a few reasons really, obviously money wasn't one of them!Lincox wrote:Why have you therefore come in as a postie? It is usually because someone is looking for a role with a lot less pressure and easing their way towards retirement.
I've worked in high pressure jobs since I left school and was looking for a job where once I clocked out I didn't need to think about the job again until I clocked back in the next day, my wife is still in a high pressure sales role and works away often so I wanted something local and the current part time hours are ok so I see a bit more of my two teenagers, I was away quite a bit when they were younger.
It's good to be outdoors all my other jobs have been office based.
Of course that competative and target driven background is hard to subdue and hence the search for promotion, to be honest I don't think anyone thought I would stick it which is probably why they took two of us on, funny but the other guy walked out week 3.
Of course I don't mention my background to anyone it's not important and what I did previously has no bearing on being a postie anyway, I just hope my frail, soft office bound body can cope, I've been aching in places I didn't know could ache
-
Northlander
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Himaggen wrote:Northlander, whilst you're on the way up, spare a thought for those who make an effort to help you along that journey.
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
Ooh thank you !!!! I will remember you when I get the key to the executive toilets.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Take care Himaggen who knows what will happen when you get taken to the exec bog.............maybe you could be on your way to promotion too.Northlander wrote:Himaggen wrote:Northlander, whilst you're on the way up, spare a thought for those who make an effort to help you along that journey.
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
Ooh thank you !!!! I will remember you when I get the key to the executive toilets.
-
Rory
- Posts: 90
- Joined: 09 Aug 2012, 12:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
Northlander go and tell your manager that you want to be a deputy/acting manager and they will get you interviewed by the sector manager and send you off on a weeks training course. Its that easy. Probably best to do it now before you get to know any of workmates too well...
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
What sort of contract are you on Northlander?
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Promotion
On second thoughts scratch my advice, I'll save you and Royal Mail some time by cutting out the application and interview processNorthlander wrote:Himaggen wrote:Northlander, whilst you're on the way up, spare a thought for those who make an effort to help you along that journey.
...it may be worth starting that process now by thanking me for answering your question!
Ooh thank you !!!! I will remember you when I get the key to the executive toilets.
- ...with due consideration of your interpersonal skills, I regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful.
-
Northlander
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Promotion
6 monthdvbuk55 wrote:What sort of contract are you on Northlander?