ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

my worst year ever for

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by dvbuk55 »

freelunch wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I even found getting a £1 of an older resident especially gratifying.
Well, at least you're honest.
Personally, I gain no satisfaction from taking even a penny from a poor old age pensioner. :no no

j/k
Well I always took the money from OAPs because I always felt it might embarrass them to refuse even if it was only 50p. I knew I was far more comfortably off than the vast majority of the pensioners, so I used the money, however little, to buy a small gift like after eights or a box of chocolates - it wouldn't cost me anything because the tips from affluent people more than made up for what I spent. Everyone always got a thank you card after Christmas once the press was over to show that I had considered their gift and not forgotten.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by fishtank »

OnAFlyer wrote:It's no wonder so many on the New agreement forum were proudly saying they didn't want the £300 bribe, £200 after tax is nothing when you're pulling £500-£1000+ tax free in tips every Christmas!
I often find the amount people say they get as tips is quite similar to the conversations about our sexual conquests when we were teenagers. There's never much evidence to go with the bragging and the more you talked about it the higher the numbers seem to go. There was always a few who actually walked the walk but in the main most of us were just playing a game of wishful thinking.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

freelunch wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I even found getting a £1 of an older resident especially gratifying.
Well, at least you're honest.
Personally, I gain no satisfaction from taking even a penny from a poor old age pensioner. :no no

j/k Image

:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
gosickwithstress
Posts: 69
Joined: 16 Mar 2013, 12:28
Gender: Male

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by gosickwithstress »

I have Been a reserve for nearly ten years floating between various duties with no
chance of me getting any tips, or even my own delivery round, since all the new
part time employees seem to be getting them. :evil/mad

The ones that do have there own rounds like to brag about there tips even in front
of others, Maybe they should stop being so selfish and spare a little thought
for there fellow reserves or floats etc. :Boo hoo! Be grateful for what you get :Boo hoo!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:It's no wonder so many on the New agreement forum were proudly saying they didn't want the £300 bribe, £200 after tax is nothing when you're pulling £500-£1000+ tax free in tips every Christmas!
I often find the amount people say they get as tips is quite similar to the conversations about our sexual conquests when we were teenagers. There's never much evidence to go with the bragging and the more you talked about it the higher the numbers seem to go. There was always a few who actually walked the walk but in the main most of us were just playing a game of wishful thinking.
Well I can honestly say there was quite a considerable number and the odd one I didn't have to pay for :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
numberone
Posts: 44
Joined: 24 Oct 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by numberone »

Woo hoo.....today picked up another £300 in late tips. Chasing me down the paths they were. Holiday booked. Job done.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Please stop baiting people - I have to delete 1 post as it upset someone.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by Lounge Lizard »

OnAFlyer wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
numberone wrote:I go to work for the wages to pay my bills, not for tips. But considering I got close to £1500 quid this year and a couple of luxury hampers, I'm not gunna complain.
I too go to work for the wages to pay my bills, not for tips, and with still averaging over £1 per house, despite being down 20% this Christmas, am not complaining :Very Happy .

It's no wonder so many on the New agreement forum were proudly saying they didn't want the £300 bribe, £200 after tax is nothing when you're pulling £500-£1000+ tax free in tips every Christmas!
To be "pulling £500-£1000+ tax free in tips every Christmas" I would need two to four times the number of houses currently on my round. :shock:
And a bribe's a bribe no matter what the sum is. :sad:
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by Straight4ward »

dazmolesey wrote:I have Been a reserve for nearly ten years floating between various duties with no
chance of me getting any tips, or even my own delivery round, since all the new
part time employees seem to be getting them. :evil/mad

The ones that do have there own rounds like to brag about there tips even in front
of others, Maybe they should stop being so selfish and spare a little thought
for there fellow reserves or floats etc. :Boo hoo! Be grateful for what you get :Boo hoo!
I give away 25% of the tips I collect, shared equally, between my rest day cover and my holiday cover.
This seems reasonably fair. Well, neither of them have said otherwise, so I think they’re okay with it. :Very Happy
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Straight4ward wrote:
dazmolesey wrote:I have Been a reserve for nearly ten years floating between various duties with no
chance of me getting any tips, or even my own delivery round, since all the new
part time employees seem to be getting them. :evil/mad

The ones that do have there own rounds like to brag about there tips even in front
of others, Maybe they should stop being so selfish and spare a little thought
for there fellow reserves or floats etc. :Boo hoo! Be grateful for what you get :Boo hoo!
I give away 25% of the tips I collect, shared equally, between my rest day cover and my holiday cover.
This seems reasonably fair. Well, neither of them have said otherwise, so I think they’re okay with it. :Very Happy
I would give away 25% of the tips I collect, shared equally, between my rest day cover and my holiday cover if my rest day cover and my holiday cover didn't doorstep parcels, cut across lawns and not spare a few seconds for a civilised word or two with those they deliver too.
That I don't seems reasonably fair and neither of them have said otherwise, so I think they’re okay with it.
However when my rest day cover retrieves an envelope addressed 'Postman' ( as opposed to 'Regular Postman' or my name ) sellotaped to a door and passes it to me I give the contents to him and he is most grateful as the others he covers just take it for themselves.
gosickwithstress
Posts: 69
Joined: 16 Mar 2013, 12:28
Gender: Male

Re: my worst year ever for

Post by gosickwithstress »

Straight4ward wrote:
dazmolesey wrote:I have Been a reserve for nearly ten years floating between various duties with no
chance of me getting any tips, or even my own delivery round, since all the new
part time employees seem to be getting them. :evil/mad

The ones that do have there own rounds like to brag about there tips even in front
of others, Maybe they should stop being so selfish and spare a little thought
for there fellow reserves or floats etc. :Boo hoo! Be grateful for what you get :Boo hoo!
I give away 25% of the tips I collect, shared equally, between my rest day cover and my holiday cover.
This seems reasonably fair. Well, neither of them have said otherwise, so I think they’re okay with it. :Very Happy
Thank You for thinking of your reserves etc, As they have more to put up with work wise than credited for.

I used to have my own round and always used to do exactly the same (share tips etc), but times have changed and I am
now a reserve/float again (always hated the terminology), the best I got in my office was the dust kicked in my face by
the usual long standing employees - But would you believe a new part time employee who has only been on the round for
3 months over xmas wanted to give me five pounds because I helped them. They received £35 in tips being new not bad.
They would not take no for a answer, so I went straight to shop and spent the same back on a present, Its never about the money,
Some people have a big heart, And some people just to greedy and so egocentric. I have worked in about 3 Delivery offices all the
same with the same people, some good, some bad, Nice to here from a good person and not those that use any excuse to dumb
down other fellow employees to mask there own greed. :thumbup We are all in this together, thank you :thumbup - Ten year service employee