ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Help - injured in RM van accident

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by krussel »

bustedflush wrote:
indio wrote:
bustedflush wrote: surely wouldn't be stage 1 as it's an accident at work not a sickie?
Don't be so sure, a bloke in our office was given stage 2 while having cancer treatment. :(

Crikey. That's made me a whole lot more optimistic.
I doubt you will be issued with any stage due to it being a accident at work. It's the after effects you have to watch as this could cause you to struggle and result in more periods of sickness. Now these should be connected to the accident and not counted against you but rm have a stupid system whereupon you have to hit a stage 3 before they really look at the causes in any great detail. A lot depends on your Dom and how he reports it in the early stages.

As soon as you get over the bruising and can move about I would ask to be put in contact with Atos. This will help determine the level of duty you will be able to perform when you are fit enough to return. Don't kid yourself that you will be able to go straight back onto a full delivery, your going to have to build it up again.

Lastly once your mobile you really need to register with a local gp.

Take it easy mate. There is always help on here. :thumbup
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by bustedflush »

Thanks krussel - funnily enough I just went with my missus down to local GP and got registered and they can give me a slot with Doc tomorrow morning xmas eve. The pain is definitely lessening and I had a little walk outside today, knee wasn't as bad as I first thought, but the exercise of course necessitated deeper breaths and my chest hurt like hell. When I got back the DOM rang me and was surprisingly pleasant and informed me he had done 'an ATOS e-mail' and they will ring me on the 27th. for a lengthy phone interview and then advise him of when I can return and what duties I can perform. This has cleared things up a bit and he said don't worry about getting up to call in every day as I can't come back anyway until ATOS clear it, and he told me this is normal procedure RM have got in place. This is good timing as by then I will have seen Doc tomorrow.
I think this call may have been something to do with me ringing up this morning and speaking to a lino and asking for the rep's mobile no. - or am I being a bit cynical?
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by krussel »

I would not be surprised if the Dom and the rep had a chat. Glad your getting a bit more sorted. Just be honest with Atos and don't get bullied into going back before your ready. Chase your rep up about your Cwu membership.

Hope all goes well at the docs.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by bustedflush »

krussel wrote:I would not be surprised if the Dom and the rep had a chat. Glad your getting a bit more sorted. Just be honest with Atos and don't get bullied into going back before your ready. Chase your rep up about your Cwu membership.

Hope all goes well at the docs.
Cheers mate. The rep is off this week so the lino must've spoken to the DOM regarding my call. In fact he HAD to have as the DOM addressed a couple of concerns I had which I mentioned to the lino. The DOM did say I'd have to have make an official statement about the accident, I don't mind doing that when I drop off any Docs notes as by then I should have some more effective pain relief. In fact this hasn't been a bad day, until I almost sneezed (something which would previously be impossible due to the explosive spasms sneezing does to your chest area naturally) and even stopping the near-sneeze was absolute agony and felt like someone had stamped on my chest. :Sick

By the way, kudos to the other posties who have had to go out in this sh!te weather today - feel a bit guilty as I should have been there too. :oops:
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by postypie »

Sorry to hear about your accident mate....hope it doesn't spoil your Christmas too much....somewhat disappointed(but not surprised)..by your managers conduct...best of luck and hope you get well soon.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by bustedflush »

Just a courtesy update to those whom have contributed here - got in the GP's today, and he was amazed the hospital hadn't prescribed very strong painkillers and that I'd spent 5 days in agony. He checked my chest and I have a massive yellow bruise across it (I didn't notice this as I couldn't stretch to take my undershirt off) and my knee. Because of the pain I can't breathe deeply so this means I run a greater risk of chest infection, so the painkillers will allow me to cough properly and also exercise and get breathing properly again, something I was unable to do until today due to the pains when I tried. I have been signed off (irrelevant now as I'm on ATOS anyway) until 1 January which means the 2nd. in practical terms when he has predicted that with the current rate of recovery I should be able to go back to duties non-strenuous to the affected areas. The flashbacks should reduce over time too.
TBH I can't wait as I'm going stir-crazy here having to be stuck in with my missus while she watches DeadEnders and 'Supernanny - type' reality programmes that I can't escape from.
By the way got my wage slip today and it did have overtime from last week on it, minus 90 minutes. Probably had 'ambulance time' taken off... :Very Happy
Have a good and healthy Christmas everyone! :cool :cool
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by coxie »

Ask to be referred to atos
Red Robbo
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 680
Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by Red Robbo »

bustedflush wrote:Just a courtesy update to those whom have contributed here - got in the GP's today, and he was amazed the hospital hadn't prescribed very strong painkillers and that I'd spent 5 days in agony. He checked my chest and I have a massive yellow bruise across it (I didn't notice this as I couldn't stretch to take my undershirt off) and my knee. Because of the pain I can't breathe deeply so this means I run a greater risk of chest infection, so the painkillers will allow me to cough properly and also exercise and get breathing properly again, something I was unable to do until today due to the pains when I tried. I have been signed off (irrelevant now as I'm on ATOS anyway) until 1 January which means the 2nd. in practical terms when he has predicted that with the current rate of recovery I should be able to go back to duties non-strenuous to the affected areas. The flashbacks should reduce over time too.
TBH I can't wait as I'm going stir-crazy here having to be stuck in with my missus while she watches DeadEnders and 'Supernanny - type' reality programmes that I can't escape from.
By the way got my wage slip today and it did have overtime from last week on it, minus 90 minutes. Probably had 'ambulance time' taken off... :Very Happy
Have a good and healthy Christmas everyone! :cool :cool
What no Jeremy Kyle ??? :chuckle :chuckle
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by bustedflush »

What no Jeremy Kyle ??? :chuckle :chuckle[/quote]

That would really push me over the edge, from clinically depressed to suicidal in 45 dire minutes..... :sad: :sad:
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by bustedflush »

Doc says I can go back on light duties on Thursday the 2nd. Jan. Feeling a lot better, the anti-inflammatories and Codeine does the trick!

Well, I felt better until this morning, when I received a letter from the DOM. Bearing in mind the line manager said I would be paid, and I DID get a full weeks pay + o/t on the 27th. Dec. 8 days after the accident, I found this a bit of a shock:

Dear xxxxxx

I have to advise you that from 20/12/13 (the day AFTER the accident) your entitlement to occupational sick pay will reduce to no pay. If you are a member of the PO Staff Superannuation Scheme or PO Pension Scheme you may also be entitled to regular payments of sick pay at pension rate SPPR. If you are entitled to SPPR you will be notified of the amount by HR in due course.

You may be entitled to SSP at the current rate. If you receive SPPR and SSP together, the combined amount cannot exceed you basic wage......blah blah....................You are reminded that annual holiday should be taken in the year it is due. You may therefore with appropriate notice take any outstanding leave and receive normal basic pay for that period.



WTF????????

As I haven't quite done 12 months this must mean I am entitled to nothing, under the terms of these bloody 6-month contracts.
However I have been paid in full the week after the accident w/e 28 Dec. Does this mean they'll take that back off me? Now I've got all this to worry about too.

What's going on??? :sad:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by krussel »

How things have changed :d'oh!

This sort of thing you need to run past your Cwu rep. Did you get a membership number ?
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by bustedflush »

Got the good news today that in the DOM's absence despite his wishes that I should be paid, as I haven't quite hit my 12 months, another manager has entered me on the system as 'sick'. I found this out today when I went in on light duties. This is from my first day after the accident, Dec20. I was paid in full on Friday 27th.Dec as obviously being Christmas everyone was given a flat week automatically. So this week not only do I not get paid, but will be minus last weeks wages too. I will get the lowest ever payslip in RM's history, MINUS £271.
My assistance was being told 'you should ring the number on the back of your payslip' and I was also give a Freephone 0800 number a helpline for RM staff which I rang. I explained the situation, was told I'd get a call back this afternoon which needless to say hasn't materialized.

I feel so angry and bitter, I wouldn't treat a dog like this. Not only have I got the mental shock of the crash and the residual pain and discomfort, I now have the stress of having no wages with bills to be paid. A colleague was so alarmed at this that he personally went and copied my ERICA form and rang the area CWU rep up (our office rep is away) and I am waiting for a call tomorrow from him. I actually told the managers today that despite my wishes just to get back to work and merely get paid normally (I have had no intention of claiming damages as I don't believe in all claim-and-blame crap) that I will contact the CWU lawyers in their booklet and get them to do it, I've had enough. Never in 28 years of work has an employer made me feel so low.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by wiganpostie »

This company is full of mercenary managerial s**t stains. When the revolution comes, they'll be the first against the wall.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by krussel »

Afraid this sort of thing is RM at its worse. Its why we NEED a union as a balance.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Help - injured in RM van accident

Post by bustedflush »

Yep, was 'paid' MINUS 245 quid this week. The DOM rang payroll up and because I haven't quite hit 12 months, I cannot be paid regardless of the circumstances. Even if I came to work, and the DOM hit me over the head with a hammer and I had 3 days off with a headache I CANNOT BE PAID UNDER RM'S SYSTEM AS I HAVE NOT COMPLETED 12 MONTHS. Utterly insane, no flexibility or discretion.
I was actually told by one manager to sue them for my pay, as that's the only way I can get it. So, there was me happy to not claim damages and just get back to work provided that I was paid, and now because of the stupidity of the system they are now going to likely be paying me a lot more than wages. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.
So, along with the residual physical pain, mental pain I now have the stress of having no pay for almost 2 weeks worth of wages. Sorry but I think their conduct is reprehensible, despicable and lacking empathy. Talk about kicking a bloke when he's down.