ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Faith in Royal Mail… Win

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Faith in Royal Mail… Win

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://joereddington.com/2013/10/24/fai ... -mail-win/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A little while ago I was given a lift back to London by a friend. On the way back down the motorway we had one of those wide-ranging decisions that one can have – this one included the nature of trust, the likelihood of humans committing a crime if they knew nobody could see them and some complex relationship between star wars and popular rap albums.

My friend was far far too polite to accept fuel money at the time so when I was writing my thank you notes (which tend to go as postcards) I made the point of attached some money for fuel.

Screen Shot 2013-10-20 at 21.17.09

This utterly confused all witnesses. The idea of attaching money to a postcard with a staple was apparently heresy. I had to have a number of conversations of the form

Them: you can’t do that

Me: why?

Them: because it will go missing!

Me: who will steal it?

Them: the postman!

Me: but he doesn’t steal the rest of my mail…

Them: how do you know?

So partly out of stubbornness I persisted with sending the letter – on the principle that I was willing to risk £10 to prove the innate trustworthiness of human beings in general and the honour of postmen in particular.

Several days later – I get the following photos by email:



Screen Shot 2013-10-20 at 21.18.56 Screen Shot 2013-10-20 at 21.19.37

Image

Image
Success!

Here’s what I particularly love about this – when it reached the sorting office, someone clearly decided that the £10 was too much of a temptation, and so took the time to fetch and address by hand a new envelope – which strongly implies that the people at the Royal Mail are much more trustworthy than they even believe themselves to be :)

Yay for humans!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Faith in Royal Mail… Win

Post by fishtank »

I like his optimism but I'm afraid it's more likely most people would immediately think "set up" or "fake" if they saw a £10 note stapled to a postcard.
It is probably the safest way to send money through the post though. :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: Faith in Royal Mail… Win

Post by Pat Ostman »

fishtank wrote:I like his optimism but I'm afraid it's more likely most people would immediately think "set up" or "fake" if they saw a £10 note stapled to a postcard.
It is probably the safest way to send money through the post though. :chuckle
Yes. It would take a whole new level of stupidity for even a hardened thief at Royal mail to steal that tenner.

And it was put in an envelope not to remove temptation but to stop it being lost/torn. Damage bag would have sufficed.
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
barrowc
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 383
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 01:36
Gender: Male

Re: Faith in Royal Mail… Win

Post by barrowc »

A real stickler for the rules would have compulsorily registered it (to use the old terminology) and charged the difference between the postage paid and the correct Special Delivery postage:
19.9 If we find an item which has not met the conditions laid out in this Scheme for a Special Delivery item but which either

* has "Special Delivery" written on it, or anything which suggests that the item is intended to be sent via Special Delivery or
* is found to contain valuables,

then we will treat it as a Special Delivery item.

19.9.1 In either case, if the item is treated as a Special Delivery item, you or the addressee will be charged the appropriate postage for that service. If the fee is not paid the item may be dealt with or disposed of at our discretion.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/ ... ct2013.pdf