IMAG0038.jpg
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Help - injured in RM van accident
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
The irony is the manager even saw the van he came to it as it was near the DO.
You can see the split in the grey fascia where my knees went through.
You can see the split in the grey fascia where my knees went through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Has the driver been spoken to by the police?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Yes, and as it was a 15 ton dust cart with a solid metal back the thing was unscathed and I believe he told the police he lost concentration or blamed the sun and as no fatal injuries they let it go AFAIK. Now you can see as well as my injuries why I'm still shaken given that any faster I would've been decapitated.
-
gluteus maximus
- Posts: 241
- Joined: 12 Oct 2013, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Has an accident investigation been completed by royal Mail. I am not talking of reporting the accident as to injuries, i am talking of an investigation as to a road traffic collision and its route cause (Culpability)
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
The driver's already admitted it was his fault, a clear road and stationary parked wagon he drove into. Obviously I'm not working at the moment but I did hear the DOM say there would be an investigation. The driver actually went out on delivery with a manager just after I was carted off to hospital, and he was shaken but not physically injured. Insane.gluteus maximus wrote:Has an accident investigation been completed by royal Mail. I am not talking of reporting the accident as to injuries, i am talking of an investigation as to a road traffic collision and its route cause (Culpability)
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Can I ask to see the Occupational Health Advisor now before 7 days is up?
Following the reporting of a accident, Royal Mail managers have a primary responsibility to ensure the welfare of the driver including in more serious cases the recovery of the driver and vehicle. When an accident involves injury to the driver, the relevant local CWU and Health and Safety Representatives should also be notified at the earliest opportunity. If the line manager suspects an underlying medical condition, professional advice should be sought from our Occupational Health team immediately
After a serious accident, irrespective of blameworthiness, a driver may suffer trauma. This may manifest itself immediately after the incident, or the effects may be delayed. If a manager becomes aware, or suspects that a driver may be suffering from trauma, he/she should be offered the services of our Occupational Health team at the first available opportunity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Thanks to those whom have replied thus far. I feel a little more confident now. I will ring up tomorrow and request an appointment with the relevant occupational person when I can drive again. I am not under any disciplinary procedures as I was merely the passenger; all I had to do was make a statement, in fact despite the 1hr. ordeal in the DOM's office the one thing he did mention was that following the seatbelt procedure had saved me so was happy at that. I know you guys have been under the cosh with deliveries this week as indeed I was until the incident, but trust me I'd do any of your loops if it meant I could spend the evening free of constant pain and inability to move much. I'll keep you posted on the events to follow.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Don't be bullied none of this was your fault although that probably won't stop RM being twats about it. Get the union on it, they should be able to get you a decent solicitor to take on the case. You need to claim for loss of earnings and potential loss of earnings along with physical and mental injuries, stress and trauma, loss of enjoyment, out of pocket expenses for any appointments, etc.
Don't worry about claiming against the driver as RM are self insured and will have to foot the bill. Definitely try and get yourself on a doctors books. RM will no doubt arrange for you to have a full medical at some stage. If they continue to harrass you and insist on daily contact tell them it is stressing you out and you are feeling really depressed about the whole incident it may get you a little time to breathe and is no doubt the truth anyway. Mention this to your doctor too (when you get one) as he will be able to give you a note. RM should not harrass you as it will be affecting you recovery. Unfortunately they usually don't give a toss about the workforce all they care about is profit.
Keep your chin up, like I said you are the injured party in all this and you have everything legally on your side!
I wish you a speedy recovery, sounds like you are going through the wringer at the moment, can't be alot of fun!
Don't worry about claiming against the driver as RM are self insured and will have to foot the bill. Definitely try and get yourself on a doctors books. RM will no doubt arrange for you to have a full medical at some stage. If they continue to harrass you and insist on daily contact tell them it is stressing you out and you are feeling really depressed about the whole incident it may get you a little time to breathe and is no doubt the truth anyway. Mention this to your doctor too (when you get one) as he will be able to give you a note. RM should not harrass you as it will be affecting you recovery. Unfortunately they usually don't give a toss about the workforce all they care about is profit.
Keep your chin up, like I said you are the injured party in all this and you have everything legally on your side!
I wish you a speedy recovery, sounds like you are going through the wringer at the moment, can't be alot of fun!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
martin the green
- Posts: 157
- Joined: 20 Jan 2012, 16:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
your only obligation is to keep in contact with work. tell your dom you will contact him by text after a certain time as due to the accident you are very sore and need your rest to recover. and make sure you keep a dairy of all contacts with doms as they only like written proof!! if you complain.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
And when you do eventually get fit and go back to work, don't forget to request a new P&L partner, although maybe you will get lucky and fireball freddy will be canned by then.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Thanks people. I had to get up early and ring in again today so spoke to my Liney and the DOMs message phone as I didn't want another detailed call. I will get myself to a GP Monday if I can get missus's car without too much discomfort. I am a reserve so the guy isn't my partner but he is a nice chap and long-timer with impeccable record and I don't want him to lose job I would feel worse if he did it was just one of those things. Ironically I would be with him again in week after xmas if I could work a walk. I have to get to a GP in 7 working days anyway as I can't sign myself off for any longer. I feel slightly less pain this morning but still keep having flashbacks when I'm not distracted.
As for the solicitors I will do that later and as someone said earlier they probably just get a referral fee from the CWU or vice-versa and I can contact them direct anyway because the CWU simply put me in touch with them as I understand it. Obviously leaving it until I'm better will ensure everything has been logged by then and there will be no nasty surprises like if say I return for lights in 5 days and then bend over and something gives and causes a new or recurrent pain.
As for the solicitors I will do that later and as someone said earlier they probably just get a referral fee from the CWU or vice-versa and I can contact them direct anyway because the CWU simply put me in touch with them as I understand it. Obviously leaving it until I'm better will ensure everything has been logged by then and there will be no nasty surprises like if say I return for lights in 5 days and then bend over and something gives and causes a new or recurrent pain.
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
What happens to the driver is not something over which you have any control, it will not matter if you hide the pain, go back to work on Monday, request to work with the same partner again and refuse to pursue a case for compensation.bustedflush wrote:I don't want him to lose job I would feel worse if he did it was just one of those things.
All you can do is stop telling yourself it was just one of those things, get better, and record everything. I would also suggest you speak to a Solicitor of your choosing ASAP, they will hopefully help prevent you from actions which may jeopardise your case.
-
tasam
- Posts: 202
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 15:49
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Don't go back until your doc says that you are fit enough for work. I had mild whiplash a while back and it took 2 weeks for the headaches and dizziness to clear.bustedflush wrote:Thanks people. I had to get up early and ring in again today so spoke to my Liney and the DOMs message phone as I didn't want another detailed call. I will get myself to a GP Monday if I can get missus's car without too much discomfort. I am a reserve so the guy isn't my partner but he is a nice chap and long-timer with impeccable record and I don't want him to lose job I would feel worse if he did it was just one of those things. Ironically I would be with him again in week after xmas if I could work a walk. I have to get to a GP in 7 working days anyway as I can't sign myself off for any longer. I feel slightly less pain this morning but still keep having flashbacks when I'm not distracted.
As for the solicitors I will do that later and as someone said earlier they probably just get a referral fee from the CWU or vice-versa and I can contact them direct anyway because the CWU simply put me in touch with them as I understand it. Obviously leaving it until I'm better will ensure everything has been logged by then and there will be no nasty surprises like if say I return for lights in 5 days and then bend over and something gives and causes a new or recurrent pain.
Make sure that you have your referral to atos before you return to work, be honest about your limitations - if you can't go on delivery for a few weeks get a copy of the report. (It will help your solicitor)
Keep a diary of work contact and also how you feel - again this will help your solicitor.
Talk to family and friends about solicitors, do they have any experience? Do not discount cwu solicitors though, at least they're used to dealing with RM.
Good luck, don't rush your recovery
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Help - injured in RM van accident
Do everything by the book and put a claim in as well. Royal Mail will be ok to look after you but again it all depends on your delivery office managers. They were fine with me when I am off for 4 months due to concussion and then Migraine-associated vertigo.