http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... post-bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rivals including TNT are now using more cycles to push mail – so why is the UK's iconic postal service giving up?
The new year will mark the end of an era for the Royal Mail. Its postal staff will stop using the red Pashley Mailstar, once a common sight across the UK. Since 2010 Royal Mail has removed 13,000 to 14,000 bikes from its operation, leaving between 3,000 to 4,000, and in 2014 even these will be phased out entirely.
However, where Royal Mail is retracting its cycles many around the UK are doing just the opposite.
TNT Post, Royal Mail's biggest rival, delivers 95% of its mail by bike (the other 5% vans delivering to out-of-town depots where the bike takes over). Last month it expanded into Greater Manchester from west London, doubling its fleet to 1,000 bikes. Between them, TNT posties now cycle 32,000km per week, an average of 4.4km per round.
Its director of End to End (the collecting, sorting and delivery of post), Gary Robinson, sees the bike as essential to his business. He says: "Bikes are low maintenance, economical and the environmental benefits are obvious. As the roads become more congested cycling becomes more favourable. For instance I couldn't get around London as quickly in a van as I can on a push bike. Ultimately our product lends itself well to being cycled."
He said TNT hopes to have up to 20,000 posties in the next five years.
The reason for Royal Mail's bike cuts, 'elf and safety, was met with derision at the time by posties and those who argue the risks of cycling are outweighed by its health benefits.
Royal Mail says the removal of bikes reflects the changing nature of mail: thanks in part to our growing love of online shopping; with more packages and fewer letters modern mailbags are bulkier and heavier. Royal Mail will now mostly deliver on foot using trolleys which, it says, are more efficient than bicycles.
However, cycling charity CTC's campaigns and policy director, Roger Geffen, disagrees. He says: "There are plenty of operators who recognise that bike is an extremely efficient answer, you have just got to find the right bike.
"I cannot see why they think the traditional post bike isn't appropriate for the loads they're carrying. When CTC did our Keep Posties Cycling campaign three years ago, at first [Royal Mail] just ignored us, until we arrived with a very large number of letters delivered by post bike. They had actually done research into different options: there were bikes that met their needs that couldn't be produced in large enough volumes and there were bikes that could be produced but they didn't work well."
He said Royal Mail also looked at e-bikes, though above a certain weight an e-bike falls into the motorbike category.
Outspoken Deliveries, a Cambridge-based cycle delivery company, offers a post collection service from the local Royal Mail depot to guarantee delivery before 9am. Its cargo bikes can deliver up to 140 parcels per day, up to a quarter of a tonne at once. Outspoken's Rob King believes Royal Mail's price increases have helped drive competition. "I think other companies [like TNT] are doing it just because they get more and more sensible in terms of pricing," he says.
Yellow Jersey Post, a Coventry cycle courier, has delivered mail by bike since 2009. Co-director, Richard Hicks, said: "We are now delivering about 50,000 letters a month to 150 local businesses in and around Coventry, which isn't bad for four years. Those are estate agents, doctors, voluntary organisations and law contracts. We also handle a lot of Coventry deliveries for a national mail handler.
"Our standard service is the equivalent of Royal Mail's second class service, which takes one to three days. For us it is absolutely essential to use bikes, it is the only way we can do the job. If you attempted to deliver 350 letters a day by car to 250 addresses it would wear the car out and cost a fortune in petrol."
However, he concedes his operation is inherently different. "Royal Mail have very large volumes of post with each postman going door to door. For us we have only a few houses in a road. I pass five or six postmen on my round," he says.
Despite the changing nature of post Geffen still feels there is a point to prove about what freight bikes can do. He says: "There are plenty of posties that are totally convinced they could use a light freight bike, that they could find a way of spreading out the parcels. They don't like the idea that they are going to be cooped up in a van when they could be outdoors."
"As far as we are concerned this isn't the end of the story; we understand from Royal Mail their vans have a lifespan of about five years, and if they find they are being undercut by these companies or if they find the health of their work force suffers there is time to have a rethink. What they are doing is reversible."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
midegarelu
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 414
- Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 07:09
- Gender: Male
- Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Re: Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
As if RM will ever change their minds to something sensible and logical.
"We employ you so we can sack you"
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
Where are all the old bikes? We could use some of them by removing the back wheel, attach them to resistance-belts and the managers can use them in the office to keep fit while we are out walking.

-
fatmike
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 27 May 2011, 14:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
I still don't see how pushing a heavy load is better for your health than having the entire weight carried by a basket, whilst you rest your legs from dead walking. I don't know what the general opinion is around here, but I feel far worse for losing the bikes (knees and heels killing by the end of the week), and the rounds take me longer.
I did once fall off a bike on the ice. I can understand that being dangerous (although it's also up to the individual to decide whether the conditions are safe, which I obviously failed at!). However, I've also hit a trolley on a curb that I didn't see, and the handles went right into my ribs, which was just a little tender for a couple of days.
I did once fall off a bike on the ice. I can understand that being dangerous (although it's also up to the individual to decide whether the conditions are safe, which I obviously failed at!). However, I've also hit a trolley on a curb that I didn't see, and the handles went right into my ribs, which was just a little tender for a couple of days.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
Have never delivered by cycle. But why would I want to in Huddersfield .

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
fatmike
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 27 May 2011, 14:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
True, there's not a lot of that in East Anglia. 
-
Straight4ward
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1621
- Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Royal Mail to phase out post bikes completely in 2014
Outspoken Delivery Co. bike
It certainly looks the part but imagine trying to cycle uphill with it fully laden.
Even the Brownlee brothers might have some doubts.
It certainly looks the part but imagine trying to cycle uphill with it fully laden.
Even the Brownlee brothers might have some doubts.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."