ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Park an Loop who drives

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

OnAFlyer wrote:Just do the loops, leave the packets until the end and do them between you.
:funneh

How the hell do you have time for that?

I don't have time to take a breath without being at my time daily
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by eastie »

I'm a walker and have an 10 loops and the driver 9 and the driver does the parcels during that time if he can
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by chrisj »

I do not understand why people keep talking about walkers and drivers... What happens if there are just a few packets - not talking about xmas? I suppose the driver can then go on twitter :no no

As for the original post, your P&L mate is taking advantage - giving that he does collections he should be doing some of the driving; no doubt...

What happens if you say, I am not feeling well today? He has to take up the driving because he has a licence and he has not been exempt.

I have gone out with a colleague that twisted his ankle and had bad stomach upset and so on...

We have so much movement amongst the duties that a so called driver can be moved and then he walks and also vice versa.

From tomorrow, I will be working with a non-driver - my tough luck but what I resent is that I have* to take him home and then return to the office on my own with all the stuff - at this time of the year, it adds to my shift and I save him at least 20 minutes or so.

* It will be bad form to insist he come back to the office with me and then try to walk home or get a lift...
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

chrisj wrote:I do not understand why people keep talking about walkers and drivers... What happens if there are just a few packets
Thats a management resource issue, no something for a postie to worry about, he should just do his duty exactly the way its laid down in his 318

chrisj wrote: From tomorrow, I will be working with a non-driver - my tough luck but what I resent is that I have* to take him home and then return to the office on my own with all the stuff - at this time of the year, it adds to my shift and I save him at least 20 minutes or so.

* It will be bad form to insist he come back to the office with me and then try to walk home or get a lift...
Does your manager know this is happening? if you are saving your mate 20 minutes off his finishing time he and you could get into trouble for this, or if your working on OT then your possibly going to be in trouble for claiming OT to run him home, i really dont think a DOM will agree to give you OT for that
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by OnAFlyer »

mandelsons_toenail wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:Just do the loops, leave the packets until the end and do them between you.
:funneh

How the hell do you have time for that?

I don't have time to take a breath without being at my time daily
Our loops are equal then we have an odd loop at the end, if it's busy packet wise the walker will take it whilst I do packets, but usually we'll split the loop and do packets together. It doesn't make any difference really, you get the packets done a lot quicker as you're not turning off the engine and locking the van up at every stop, and there are often drops close together that you can do at the same time.

I don't like the idea of shorter loops for drivers, some are like that in our office and many days end up with the driver sat reading the paper whilst the walker is still doing loops. The way we do it is far more flexible.

At the moment though it's irrelevant as the only packets we've actually delivered in the the last few days are specials and tracked, we've cut off all other parcels that won't fit through the letterbox.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

OnAFlyer wrote: At the moment though it's irrelevant as the only packets we've actually delivered in the the last few days are specials and tracked, we've cut off all other parcels that won't fit through the letterbox.
Tracked shouldnt be getting prioritised over normal parcels, its just hiding problems, if your manager is telling you to do this its probably a safe bet he is not reporting the parcel failures, a little email to moya about it might be a good suggestion
martin the green
Posts: 157
Joined: 20 Jan 2012, 16:20
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by martin the green »

in our park and loop we do the big parcels as we are going either before or after loop depending on where parcel delivery is on loop :nana :nana :nana
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by NewPostieUK »

centenaryman wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:why I was asking does the driver have to do the parcels.
The walker takes whatever he can get in his two bags on his trolley. The driver does all the others, also makes sure all Specials are done by 1 o'clock. His duty is meant to be designed for that. If there is a loop with no large packets, he'll help the walker finish that loop (if he's finished first).

Having said that, my driver is a newbie, and still struggling, so a lot of large packets that I can't get in my bags, I'll help with. For example, I'll start my loop where there is a large packet, or we'll leave a couple til the end and do them together.

Each duty is definitely meant to be either a walker or a driver, so it sounds like you are doing it all wrong.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by chrisj »

NewPostieUK wrote:.

Each duty is definitely meant to be either a walker or a driver, so it sounds like you are doing it all wrong.
#

You keep repeating that there should be a driver and a walker: where exactly does it say that? Any documentations?

As you can see from the post, the park and loop is being done differently even within the same office...

Park & Loop offers flexibility and to argue that it should be restrictive to a driver and a walker is going against the principles. Simple things like parking space determines who drives in my office or who finishes bagging off first.

Most pairs settle for one driver but as this is christmas the whole thing has been jumbled around with some drivers going to packets and some even doing nights...

* On the issue of running someone home instead of returning to the office - well, I will never claim overtime for that as I am returning to the office anyway and I will have to park the van in a multi-story (he does not drive afterall). His house is just off the road on the return to work - it will be churlish to insist he returns. I cannot get into trouble because I did not force him to get off the van. Anyway, he is not my usual partner and I will not like to work with a non-driver for good as the responsibility for driving is high and our loops are all the same.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by centenaryman »

wellll sorry if ive opened a can of worms on driver/walker duties

im my case I asked my partner to drive today he did so and 1/2 way round he asked if I was trying to prove a point,,,,,,i answered yeah,,,i like working with him but not being put on,,,,he said with all the collections he was doing he was tired.

hopefully now we can get back to normal.

BUT there are no designated driving or walking duties,,,,we are van share and a partnership,,,,to get 2 walks done (in our office)
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by chrisj »

result! he should do hid share. hi, doing collection is neither here or there - he gets paid well for that and he probably does not do it every day...

my p&l partner was polite and courteous enough to offer to get off on the road or for me to take a 5 minutes detour to get him home... I took him home!

BTW, the same bloke used to deliver to his house and used to use his house as a bag drop - and yes, the managers know about things... That particular issue is above my pay grade
Hitcher
Posts: 1538
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by Hitcher »

centenaryman wrote:BUT there are no designated driving or walking duties,,,,we are van share and a partnership,,,,to get 2 walks done (in our office)
Well your planner did it wrong then.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by NewPostieUK »

Hitcher wrote:
centenaryman wrote:BUT there are no designated driving or walking duties,,,,we are van share and a partnership,,,,to get 2 walks done (in our office)
Well your planner did it wrong then.
Or they just didn't bother explaining anything to anybody, as in my office.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: Park an Loop who drives

Post by centenaryman »

our planner got a job in management 3/4 way through the revision planning,,,,,and that office walked out last week,,,,says a lot me thinks