ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Year

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/bexle ... _1_3068207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Bexleyheath postman swapped his mail sack for a camera to scoop Kent Wildlife Trust’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year award for the second time running.

Jason Steel, 42, took first and third prize in the ‘fauna’ category this year - with his image ‘Toad Crossing’ taking gold.

The competition was judged by Phil Hurst, of the Natural History Museum, who was present to oversee the award ceremony, in Upchurch, last month.

Ray Lewis, of the Kent Wildlife Trust, described Jason’s image as “stunning”. He added: “The toad in the road is such an iconinc picture because so many are killed through traffic accidents. He caught the occasion perfectly.”

Jasons’s second entry, ‘Wood Mouse at Hall Place, Bexley’ was good enough to earn bronze - with Ray describing the image as “charming”.

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Y

Post by Lounge Lizard »

No prizes for that toad squashed onto the road the next day. :sad:
Erith 'Erbert
Posts: 16
Joined: 01 Dec 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male
Location: Erith, Kent. DA8

Re: Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Y

Post by Erith 'Erbert »

I took this photo as part of the Kent Reptile and Amphibian Group's efforts to raise awareness and support for toad patrols in Kent. A project organised by KRAG (which I am a committee member of) to help amphibians to cross busy roads and reach their breeding sites during the breeding season in the Spring.

Rest assured that this toad was one of the lucky ones that made it safely to its destination!

Jason
http://www.jason-steel.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Y

Post by POSTMAN »

:Applause Congrats mate and nice site,not too keen on the snake photos though :Sick no RMCers,not RM managers...although. :Very Happy
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Erith 'Erbert
Posts: 16
Joined: 01 Dec 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male
Location: Erith, Kent. DA8

Re: Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Y

Post by Erith 'Erbert »

Thanks for taking the time to check out my website and for your kind words of praise. I'm afraid you either love snakes or you hate them, and I just love them!

Jason
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Y

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Erith 'Erbert wrote:I took this photo as part of the Kent Reptile and Amphibian Group's efforts to raise awareness and support for toad patrols in Kent. A project organised by KRAG (which I am a committee member of) to help amphibians to cross busy roads and reach their breeding sites during the breeding season in the Spring.

Rest assured that this toad was one of the lucky ones that made it safely to its destination!

Jason
http://www.jason-steel.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Jason. I can sleep better again now. :nana
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Y

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I like the spiders - especially the one from the side and front on a kerb or piece of wood - it reminds me of an American biker for some reason. :oops: :left: :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Erith 'Erbert
Posts: 16
Joined: 01 Dec 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male
Location: Erith, Kent. DA8

Re: Bexleyheath postman earns Wildlife Photographer of the Y

Post by Erith 'Erbert »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I like the spiders - especially the one from the side and front on a kerb or piece of wood - it reminds me of an American biker for some reason. :oops: :left: :left:

Ha ha! I'm really not sure why it reminds you of an American biker. This Giant House Spider was actually relocated from a Royal Mail pillar-box to the shed in my back garden where the shot was taken. It was quite a fair sized spider that was living quite happily in a pillar-box for some time. Unfortunately some of the postmen / postwomen at my office were so scared of it that they were refusing to empty the box unless the spider was removed. So I volunteered to relocate it. And naturally I had to take a few shots first before releasing it. This spider went on to become a celebrity as one of it's photos was featured in the BBC Wildlife magazine earlier this year.

Jason