ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Abusive Customer !!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by saddlerposty »

last winter a customer deliberately swerved his van through the slush and snow to soak my legs as I waited to cross the road, when I shouted thanks very much in a sarcastic manner as he pulled up a few yards away he said laughingly I should expect it working out doors as I do.
I often wonder if he expected two flat tyres that where on his van the next morning. :whistle
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

islfor wrote:Today I was approached by a women who I left a P739 card last week for a parcel. She had left a note on the front door 'Leave parcel at nursing home up road'
Every year I tell her 'you must put it in writing to our manager so we can put it on our system' (A plus). She said she had (but I haven't received the letter cos im also A plus champion/coach & Rep). I told her we are not allowed to answer to notes on doors and was shown on Royal Mail TV on security of mail. She said I don't care about your rules. I told her please phone my manager and he will clarify what ive said. As I walked away she called me 'Arsehole'. I asked her what she said and she shouted 'Arsehole' twice more.
When I reached the office she had phoned and spoke to our acting PHG in the afternoons and told him that she had called me a 'Twat'.

Has anyone else encountered problems on delivery where customers intimidate you to do the job wrong ?
She will be receiving a standard RM letter to stop this harrassment tomorrow and if it carries on her mail deliveries will be suspended.

Of course your actions and response are completely correct. But under the "Deliver to a Neighbour Scheme" wouldn't it be possible to do as she requested for future undeliverables. In this instance though, as said previously you are completely correct, it would have been unsafe in this instance as we don't know who actually posted the notice. Of course Posties discretion comes into it as well which is another string to your bow.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
philh45
Posts: 79
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 12:59
Gender: Male

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by philh45 »

saddlerposty wrote:last winter a customer deliberately swerved his van through the slush and snow to soak my legs as I waited to cross the road
I believe you'll find that one can be prosecuted for doing this.
minx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 51
Joined: 10 Feb 2009, 12:35
Gender: Female

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by minx »

hi guys
we would log customers details give them a complaint ref no and that seems to pacify most of them , then if its a repeat call i.e. some problem has occurred again we would then cleo dom who sees all our complaints then he decides to take it further or not . if customer is really offensive i.e. threatening or insulting our staff i would call dom directly in order to avoid postie being subjected to confrontation on next delivery . if they are really offensive ii warn them if it continues i say thanks you for your call and terminate call. at the end of day they are not in front of me so cannot really get to me were as some do attempt to get hold of postie s when they are out , another point is that if you have had an incident with a customer always remember to report it to dom then if cust does come on my line you will have put your view first .
merry christmas posties love you all :nana :nana :nana
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by fishtank »

While you're about minx.
Who does the Twitter customer services thing because all they seem to do with a customer no matter how ridiculous the complaint is ask them whether they would like it reported.
I know Twitter's a public space and that but I think they need to stop pandering to every moan and grumble and tell customers to grow up when their letter has a crease in it or the postie forgets to shut the gate.
It really is laughable that Twitter thing...
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

philh45 wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:last winter a customer deliberately swerved his van through the slush and snow to soak my legs as I waited to cross the road
I believe you'll find that one can be prosecuted for doing this.

:thumbup
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police labelled the craze 'illegal and dangerous' and said driving through a puddle to target pedestrians is a criminal offence.

A spokesman for AA added: 'Driving fast through standing water is inconsiderate and illegal.

'You could face a hefty fine and between three and nine penalty points if the police believe you were driving without reasonable consideration to other road users.'

In 2005 a man from Yeovil in Somerset was fined £150 and given three points after accidentally driving through a puddle at 10mph, soaking the trousers of a workman standing at the side of the road.

Last year a woman in Manchester failed her driving test after accidentally splashing a woman standing at a bus stop. She was told it was a legal requirement to stop and provide her details to the pedestrian.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2llkkihH7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by saddlerposty »

philh45 wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:last winter a customer deliberately swerved his van through the slush and snow to soak my legs as I waited to cross the road
I believe you'll find that one can be prosecuted for doing this.
yes I belive he could have been..... but I much preferred my brand of justice
postie 1-0 arseole customer
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by islfor »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
islfor wrote:Today I was approached by a women who I left a P739 card last week for a parcel. She had left a note on the front door 'Leave parcel at nursing home up road'
Every year I tell her 'you must put it in writing to our manager so we can put it on our system' (A plus). She said she had (but I haven't received the letter cos im also A plus champion/coach & Rep). I told her we are not allowed to answer to notes on doors and was shown on Royal Mail TV on security of mail. She said I don't care about your rules. I told her please phone my manager and he will clarify what ive said. As I walked away she called me 'Arsehole'. I asked her what she said and she shouted 'Arsehole' twice more.
When I reached the office she had phoned and spoke to our acting PHG in the afternoons and told him that she had called me a 'Twat'.

Has anyone else encountered problems on delivery where customers intimidate you to do the job wrong ?
She will be receiving a standard RM letter to stop this harrassment tomorrow and if it carries on her mail deliveries will be suspended.

Of course your actions and response are completely correct. But under the "Deliver to a Neighbour Scheme" wouldn't it be possible to do as she requested for future undeliverables. In this instance though, as said previously you are completely correct, it would have been unsafe in this instance as we don't know who actually posted the notice. Of course Posties discretion comes into it as well which is another string to your bow.
Thanks for reply, in answer to your advice : The owner of the old peoples home is her mother and she doesn't want her daughters items delivered there. Other posties have had problems with the mother at the home. They have no letter box so other posties just open the door and drop letters on the floor. She has asked me to leave them on a table about 2 metres inside. Problem is ive open the door before and knocked old lady over cos you cannot see through the door.
They should get a letter box and then most probs they will complain that letters are on floor....YOU CANNOT WIN LOL !!!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

islfor wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
islfor wrote:Today I was approached by a women who I left a P739 card last week for a parcel. She had left a note on the front door 'Leave parcel at nursing home up road'
Every year I tell her 'you must put it in writing to our manager so we can put it on our system' (A plus). She said she had (but I haven't received the letter cos im also A plus champion/coach & Rep). I told her we are not allowed to answer to notes on doors and was shown on Royal Mail TV on security of mail. She said I don't care about your rules. I told her please phone my manager and he will clarify what ive said. As I walked away she called me 'Arsehole'. I asked her what she said and she shouted 'Arsehole' twice more.
When I reached the office she had phoned and spoke to our acting PHG in the afternoons and told him that she had called me a 'Twat'.

Has anyone else encountered problems on delivery where customers intimidate you to do the job wrong ?
She will be receiving a standard RM letter to stop this harrassment tomorrow and if it carries on her mail deliveries will be suspended.

Of course your actions and response are completely correct. But under the "Deliver to a Neighbour Scheme" wouldn't it be possible to do as she requested for future undeliverables. In this instance though, as said previously you are completely correct, it would have been unsafe in this instance as we don't know who actually posted the notice. Of course Posties discretion comes into it as well which is another string to your bow.
Thanks for reply, in answer to your advice : The owner of the old peoples home is her mother and she doesn't want her daughters items delivered there. Other posties have had problems with the mother at the home. They have no letter box so other posties just open the door and drop letters on the floor. She has asked me to leave them on a table about 2 metres inside. Problem is ive open the door before and knocked old lady over cos you cannot see through the door.
They should get a letter box and then most probs they will complain that letters are on floor....YOU CANNOT WIN LOL !!!
Excellent so you have a verbal refusal by the neighbour - perfect nothing anyone can do even the customer. Might be worth pointing out the refusal in the warning letter :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by k979aaa »

The whole word is full of dickheads and some are women! I would not worry about it just do your job to specification we are all not here to sort the problems royal mail and it's disgruntled customers and the parasites that society inflicts upon us all.
venger
Posts: 206
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 13:38

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by venger »

One postie in my office had an angry customer and they just told them to "f**k off"
I find walking off ignoring them the best method and when you go back to the office, when the DOM says something to you, just explain the situation.
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by islfor »

Standard RM letter issued to the customer and have resumed delivery, but now the mother in nursing home came to the door and took letters off me and didn't say a thing and stared at me. I said hello & thanks. I feel intimidated !!!
They have no letter box and I usually walk in and place them on table after she asked not to drop them on floor (if she had letter box they would be on floor as normal). Its a nursing home and it has lots of infections floating in the air & has anti-bacterial handwash outside door. I have knocked over old woman and banged door into someone visiting before. These people have a history of being awkward & getting their own way by bullying & intimidating own staff and public.
They should provide a safe & secure letter box...........from now on I'm not entering the premises and drop them on floor after opening door slowly & carefully. What more can I do ???
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by wabbithunta »

islfor wrote:Standard RM letter issued to the customer and have resumed delivery, but now the mother in nursing home came to the door and took letters off me and didn't say a thing and stared at me. I said hello & thanks. I feel intimidated !!!
They have no letter box and I usually walk in and place them on table after she asked not to drop them on floor (if she had letter box they would be on floor as normal). Its a nursing home and it has lots of infections floating in the air & has anti-bacterial handwash outside door. I have knocked over old woman and banged door into someone visiting before. These people have a history of being awkward & getting their own way by bullying & intimidating own staff and public.
They should provide a safe & secure letter box...........from now on I'm not entering the premises and drop them on floor after opening door slowly & carefully. What more can I do ???
Return to sender?
No delivery point, as mail isn't secure being left inside or on floor in doorway.
That'll make 'em get a mailbox quick enough!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by Stormproof »

I left a 739 for someone the other day after ringing and knocking twice. Got onto my next loop and this irate woman walks down the street waving the 739 shouting shes been waiting in for the parcel all day. Told her the packet was in my van and she would have to wait until I finished. Blimey that comment was like a red rag to a bull. She went into a tirade of abuse calling me a liar etc. I thought f**k it I ain't going back, phoned the LM and told him he would have to take it to her. So he comes out collects the parcel off me, turns out shes been sat in her neighbours house a few doors down thats why she did'nt hear me. She still put a complaint in, glad I got there first and proved her a liar. :Very Happy
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Abusive Customer !!!

Post by krussel »

minx wrote:Hi posties
Don't forget you can always refer these rude customers to us on customer services ,we are regularly abused and insulted,and I have to say when we logg what cust says and Dom replies custs mostly tell a pack of lies?
But yep I am regularly abused various vile name calling ,one cust said I will speak slowly as you are a call centr worker and slow on understanding another called me a fascist nice.anyway merry Christmas posties keep up the good work we know you're brilliant :nana :nana :nana :nana

Thank minx, happy xmas to you guys as well. :thumbup

I don't envy your job at least we can walk away from a angry customer.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........