ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Week 2 and still no change

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Re: Week 2 and still no change

Post by WOBBLY »

SammyR20 wrote: Still no ID badge, no Hi/vis, have been told there will never be over time and I will just have to
I've been in the job 15 years, and my ID badge expired in Jan 2012, guess what I'm STILL waiting for a replacement :shock:
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Week 2 and still no change

Post by bustedflush »

hampshireman wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
Dozen wrote:The first few months in this job are an absolute joke

Obviously experiences vary from office to office, but I felt completely let down by Royal Mail at the beginning. The manager thinks you're too slow and uses that not to pay over time, the union rep is completely elusive and invisible, the coach only gives a toss about himself, the van drivers take packets from everyone except from you, the walks you are put on are all impossible, nobody talks to you or even introduces themselves so you end up working in an office full of complete strangers. Quite frankly it can be lonely, depressing and stressful. You do get there in the end though, but only by the sweat off your own back and not with the help from anyone else. I've only learnt this myself still being relatively new (just under a year), and i'd like to think that in the future when i'm on the other side of the glass and see new starters coming in, i'll show them a bit more respect and try to give them a better introduction to the job than what I experienced.
I think the main reason is the 'every man for himself' attitudes which prevail in the office. Yes, I'm guilty of it too, wanting to get done quick and go early but I can still remember freshly how I felt 9 months back. Once you've worked with a several different posties you'll have a group to nod to, pass the chat with etc. The you'll feel like you 'belong' more and can feel less restricted in what you say and opinions you want to voice. I found that by going quick I got a decent reputation and a bit of respect and soon the suspicion of the 'newb' that I felt dissipated.
Blimey ; did not realise that 'going quick' enhanced your reputation

Not in the bedroom sense but certainly in the postal round sense...... :chuckle
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Week 2 and still no change

Post by BingBong »

SammyR20 wrote:Well week 2 in the Job and still feeling like a spare part, have been told today that
I will not be getting my own round as I am just there to cover.
Went in early to sort out my frame as the the man training me has his own way of doing it
And says in not fast enough and no point going in early as I won't be getting paid for it.
Went out on the walk took an hour and a half the both of us, I had over half the round
And he says at this rate it will take you 6 hours to complete in your own, call me stupid
But no idea how he figured that out, by my calculation double up the round makes 3 hours
Not 6, he said the two streets I had done take him 15 mins and they took me 20mins so I need
To hurry up.
Still no ID badge, no Hi/vis, have been told there will never be over time and I will just have to
Deal with Christmas as part if my normal round.
I really need this job and really trying my best but seems that will never be good enough for the
Training postie that has done 20 years service.
Royal Mail need to set there procedures in place for training etc,I am totally shocked at the
whole situation.
Will keep ploughing on and hope its gets better in the coming weeks.
Is he doing the job properly? Using trolleys? Not cutting corners. Not door stepping. Leaving packets with neighbours. Doing van checks? Taking his break? Starting on time and not early ? Probably not. Don't worry about it.
Toon Army!